Sheffield Wednesday in ten years time

At the moment, its very far fetched, we have absolutely nothing in place to make us a top 6 championship side.

Expectations do need to drop slightly I'm afraid

Not expecting it at the moment but obviously we are a big enough club to be up there in the future.

If we only got 10k crowds it would be just a dream but we have potential to be up there again.

We should be able to compete with 70% of the clubs in this league at any rate. Bottom 3 is a disgrace

Edited by Eightace

I'd be quite happy / ecstatic with mid table PL, which is where we should be really if we were doing well / ok as a club. 

Everton and Liverpool are doing fine and Liverpool is no bigger than sheffield as a city. 

We shouldn't even be near Banrsley, Doncaster, Rotherham, chesterfield etc as a club

These are cities that would historically supply SWFC with fans as the "Big" Club in the region if we were doing even remotely well. 

No doubt still be reminiscing about the early nineties side as we’ll have nothing better to talk about.

This

We will never see those days again. I feel lucky to have seen us when we were a force its the young uns i feel for i doubt there will ever be players like Waddle, Hirst and  Nilsson etc wearing the shirt again.

This

We will never see those days again. I feel lucky to have seen us when we were a force its the young uns i feel for i doubt there will ever be players like Waddle, Hirst and  Nilsson etc wearing the shirt again.

True

Nothing more depressing than hearing a young lad list JJ as their all time favourite player.

We've had some cracking talents over the years, but I seriously doubt we'll have anybody half as good again

Is someone seriously trying to compare Sheffield Wedneday with the two teams from Liverpool?

What planet do some of our fans live on?

Why on earth shouldn't we try and compete with two sides from liverpool ? 

Liverpool is no bigger than Sheffield as a city

We just need ambition. 

Historically we were on a par with the great Spurs side in the 60's which built the generations and legacy of the club. 

We used to compete with Man U. 

We have just been THAT badly run over the last decades that people forget this stuff. Except Daveboy66 who was there ;-)

We have SO under performed the past few decades its unreal, its embarrassing.

Our natural rivals should be Leeds, Liverpool, Spurs,Newcastle, Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Forest, Leicester etc. 

I'm just amazed no one with ambition over the past 10-15 years has taken a chance on us. 

Sheffield is one of englands major cities. 

Christ lets have SOME ambition and a bit of a dream. 

Edited by _Ibbo_

Is someone seriously trying to compare Sheffield Wedneday with the two teams from Liverpool?

What planet do some of our fans live on?

I think the point is there is no justifiable reason we we couldn't be, and I tend to agree (not saying we ever will be though).

I think the point is there is no justifiable reason we we couldn't be, and I tend to agree (not saying we ever will be though).

There's a lot of building to do. Everton haven't had an average attendance below 30k since the early/mid 90s.  And Liverpool are another thing entirely they're a club with a national, even global, following. They've only averaged less than 30k in one season since the war and it's unlikely they'll fall below 40k for the foreseeable future..

We aren't going to match them.  We haven't had an over 30k average since the late 60s and we've only had 3 since the mid 50s. Our crowds have held up well considering but it takes a leap of faith to imagine us packing Hillsborough week in week out. It just hasn't happened on any sort of consistent basis in the past half a century. 

Why on earth shouldn't we try and compete with two sides from liverpool ? - Because Liverpool are a global brand, one of the biggest, most successful clubs in the world and Everton are historically a more successful side than us. Add into the fact that they are in the Premiership, raking in a small fortune, whilst we are currently a yoyo side between the Championship and League One.

Liverpool is no bigger than Sheffield as a city - so what?

We just need ambition. - Yeah, because that's all you need...Nothing to do with finance, infrastructure etc. . .

Historically we were on a par with the great Spurs side in the 60's which built the generations and legacy of the club. - What does that even mean?

We used to compete with Man U. - When? 1991? I'm struggling to recall all those league titles and European Cups. 

We have just been THAT badly run over the last decades that people forget this stuff. Except Daveboy66 who was there ;-) - How many trophies have we won in the last fifty years?

We have SO under performed the past few decades its unreal, its embarrassing. - Agreed. We are a big club, I won't dispute that and I believe that we, at our best and taking into account the way football is now, could be a solid-mid table, top half Premiership team ala Southampton. 

Our natural rivals should be Leeds, Liverpool, Spurs,Newcastle, Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Forest, Leicester etc. - Who in their right mind lumps all these teams together?

I'm just amazed no one with ambition over the past 10-15 years has taken a chance on us. - Who knows...

Sheffield is one of englands major cities. - I love Sheffield, but in what way is it a major city, apart from its size?

Christ lets have SOME ambition and a bit of a dream. - Dreaming or being delusional. 

Why on earth shouldn't we try and compete with two sides from liverpool ? - Because Liverpool are a global brand, one of the biggest, most successful clubs in the world and Everton are historically a more successful side than us. Add into the fact that they are in the Premiership, raking in a small fortune, whilst we are currently a yoyo side between the Championship and League One.

We just need ambition. - Yeah, because that's all you need...Nothing to do with finance, infrastructure etc. . .

Historically we were on a par with the great Spurs side in the 60's which built the generations and legacy of the club. - What does that even mean?

We used to compete with Man U. - When? 1991? I'm struggling to recall all those league titles and European Cups. 

We have just been THAT badly run over the last decades that people forget this stuff. Except Daveboy66 who was there ;-) - How many trophies have we won in the last fifty years?

We have SO under performed the past few decades its unreal, its embarrassing. - Agreed. We are a big club, I won't dispute that and I believe that we, at our best and taking into account the way football is now, could be a solid-mid table, top half Premiership team ala Southampton. 

Our natural rivals should be Leeds, Liverpool, Spurs,Newcastle, Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Forest, Leicester etc. - Who in their right mind lumps all these teams together?

I'm just amazed no one with ambition over the past 10-15 years has taken a chance on us. - Who knows...

Sheffield is one of englands major cities. - I love Sheffield, but in what way is it a major city, apart from its size?

Christ lets have SOME ambition and a bit of a dream. - Dreaming or being delusional. 

OK think i'm being unrealistic ? Look at the bottom half of the EPL and give me one good solid reason why we shouldn't be competing with and beating the teams mentioned. Its pretty crap IMHO..... 

12 Hull 11 -5 14 13 Swansea 11 0 12 14 Cardiff 11 -6 12 15 Norwich 11 -12 11 16 West Ham 11 -2 10 17 Stoke 11 -4 10 18 Fulham 11 -9 10 19 Sunderland 11 -14 7 20 Crystal Palace 11 -15 4

Sheffield is a one of the Major UK cities. A catchment area of half a million people gives easily enough potential fans to fill a 40K Stadium.

Never mind P/T ones from rotherham, barnsley,chesterfield, scunny etc who would travel to watch a decent match. 

Its not delusional, a bit of ambition, some cold hard cash WELL invested in the club and there is absolutely no reason why we should easily be able to compete with the teams in the bottom half of the PL. 

I really am staggered that no one with money to invest and spend has decided to buy us.