Sign in to follow this  
dunsbyowl

Remebering the Wednesday F.C. Great War Heros

And yes, I know how to spell "Remembering" :rolleyes:

• Agree 3

Guest samkirkman

Thanks for that Dunsby

Just to cite Brodie & Dickesnon's "Wednesday Boys" & Keith Farnsworths's "Wednesday" and "The Complete Record as sources!

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Recruitment Poster

Football_Battalion_Poster_zps3bb04912.jp

Recommended reading - J W lamb gets a few mentions in here

FB51Fgf4BwupL_SL500_AA300__zps9773cc8d.j

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Guest samkirkman

Just to fill in a bit of detail my grandfather Sam Kirkman enlisted in the Army at the outbreak of war in 1914.

He was posted to the Army Service Corps and served in France as despatch rider. He turned out for Wednesday a few times when he was home on leave.

In the books he is listed as being injured whilst serving in the desert in 1917, but the family know that he was badly gassed at the Somme and was never the same after that.

His Wednesday career ended in 1919 when he was part of the clear out after relegation.

thanks dunsby as per for your usual brilliant historical insight and ....

RIP to all war heroes,without whom we may not know and enjoy things as we do now   

• Agree 6
  • Disagree 1

That is brilliant.

Think I am going to order the book - two things that I am very interested in; war and football.

Just to fill in a bit of detail my grandfather Sam Kirkman enlisted in the Army at the outbreak of war in 1914.

He was posted to the Army Service Corps and served in France as despatch rider. He turned out for Wednesday a few times when he was home on leave.

In the books he is listed as being injured whilst serving in the desert in 1917, but the family know that he was badly gassed at the Somme and was never the same after that.

His Wednesday career ended in 1919 when he was part of the clear out after relegation.

Oh wow that's interesting thanks for sharing that :-)

Best read I've had on here for ages ! Thanks very interesting !

can i nick your your user name chez ??? 

Samuel Kirham's medal card (I hope!)

BritishArmyWWIMedalRollsIndexCards1914-1

• Agree 2

& BTW did you know 100 years ago today your Legend of Grandad did this "100 years ago today @swfc won at Man City 2-0 with goals from Sam Kirkman (photo), Andrew Wilson."

• Agree 3

Guest samkirkman

Thanks again Dunsby, I've never seen his military stuff before.