Remebering the Wednesday F.C. Great War Heros

Just to fill in a bit of detail my grandfather Sam Kirkman enlisted in the Army at the outbreak of war in 1914.

He was posted to the Army Service Corps and served in France as despatch rider. He turned out for Wednesday a few times when he was home on leave.

In the books he is listed as being injured whilst serving in the desert in 1917, but the family know that he was badly gassed at the Somme and was never the same after that.

His Wednesday career ended in 1919 when he was part of the clear out after relegation.

Sad to hear, but an interesting post none the less.

Sam Kirkman, the hero, the legend.

I don't cause the division I merely stand up for my beliefs, what's wrong with that ?....anyway as you said the other threads ruined and should be used for that ur right, my comment above was just me fearing the worst. Your right this is a passionate and nice thread and politics should be barred.... Dunsby''s posts are amazing, must spend some time doing the research...

I don't want ruin this thread by point scoring.

Would be nice to keep the debating on the poppy thread.

Cheers Paul, feasibility into Great War Monument to Wednesdays fallen is on Wednesdayite agenda for next week. I'll let you know if there's any enthusiasm for the idea.

Nev - this is one recently erected at Brighton's ground - tasteful and I think donated by a local stonemason (good publicity!)

bha_zps9485d934.jpg

Bit of information on Vivian Sumner Simpson MC from some reseach we did a few years ago on the Sheffield History site

post-616-1243147698_zps44ab0592.jpg

In Sparling's book "Romance of the Wednesday" he refers to a Wednesday player Vivian S. Simpson who he says " was the best and most whole hearted player who wore the Wednesday colours .. the delightful amateur forward and charming personality Vivian.S Simpson, killed in France in 1918."

post-616-1258996314_zpsa53a7ac0.jpg

His MC citation,

'On 28th of June 1917 Capt. Simpson played a leading part in the attack on Cordorna Trench. He had also been heavily involved in the planning for this attack. He was the first man into the enemy trench and was involved in hand to hand combat with the defenders. Later he brilliantly organised the consolidation and protection of the newly won position. London Gazette 17 September 1917'

He was also mentioned in Dispatches.

He was killed on Saturday 13th of April 1918 while serving with the 13th York & Lancs.

'Sheffield City Battalion', by Ralph Gibson & Paul Oldfield.

post-616-1243061618_zps42245d38.jpg

An just for the record his Wednesday career was as follows;

Vivian Sumner Simpson

Joined 1901
Left 1907

Total appearances : 38
Total Goals : 11

in 1902/3 When Wednesday won the League he played 3 games
in 1903/4 When Wednesday won the League he played 7 games scoring 2 goals, that season they also reached the FA Cope semi final Simpson played 5 matches scoring 3 goals
in 1906/7 when Wednesday won the FA Cup he played 2 matches on the way to, but not, the final.

he was a Solicitor based at 3 Independant Buildings, Fargate in 1911. His home was 3 Travis Place