Peter Rodrigues Article

Part of the Wednesday side when my Dad started taking me to games.

Swash buckling full back and 'expert in the sliding tackle'

160 odd games for us before going out on a free in 1975.

Could not believe him skippering Southampton & lifting the cup the year after our slide into the third division.

Of course, should have realised, stupid me! Sheffield Wednesday and their players have only existed since c1990. Anything that came before is of no interest to anyone. 

When you can make poo up about what's happening today and in the future  - the past has very little relevance....

lol

Guest Johnbloodaxe

Great fullback, good solid tackler and a great slide tackler.

Came from Southampton before returning there after us I think..

Edited by Johnbloodaxe

Is it just me or am I missing something here?

Of course, should have realised, stupid me! Sheffield Wednesday and their players have only existed since c1990. Anything that came before is of no interest to anyone. 

When you can make poo up about what's happening today and in the future  - the past has very little relevance....

lol

Quote from Peter Rodrigues - "I have no axe to grind, but I am just disappointed the chairman, Nicola Cortese, does not embrace the past and the ex-players. It is an important part of any club".

It would seem that Nicola Cortese is not the only one who does not embrace the past and the ex-players. Peter Rodrigues would be especially disapponted that some supporters of Sheffield Wednesday do not embrace the past and the ex-players.

What do you mean by 'Came from'?

We signed him from Leicester, and I presume he was from Wales, having played for them. Unless his milkman had a hamster from Wales, or whatever methods are used to get international caps in 'other' teams.

Presented me for an award  on the Wednesday pitch before a game (against Orient?) - the award being something to do with me being a young footballer of promise. Still yet to be realised unless my time knocking goals in for Sacred Heart in the Hallam Sunday League counts as realised potential. 

Was a good solid performer in a very poor Wednesday side if I remember correctly.

He was an absolute disgrace on his cup appearance for the Owls at Sunderland, We got walloped 3-0 and Rodrigues let himself, the team and the fans down by repeatedly letting the Sunderland left winger walk round him on many occasions. The worst display from an international class fullback I have ever seen in a Wednesday shirt.  

m29uAB9Rt7ZyK8tOIhkJAOQ.jpg

Reyt player

Seriously??

He came in for a huge amount of stick from the Kop from about 73 onwards with lacklustre performances contributing to arguably our second poorest ever side (the one the following season was even worse). Whilst pleased for him at a personal level he lifted the cup (Jim McCalliog also in the same side that day), don't think anyone at Hillsborough saw it coming in a million years.

In fairness he probably was decent quality but just lost heart because of the general shiteness of the team and club at that time (i.e. sacking Dooley and Young on a Christmas Eve etc, etc.).