rodri

Rodri had a poor loan spell at Sheffield Wednesday last term, but is having an excellent season with UD Almeria so far.

Ever heard of Rodrigo Rios Lozano? No. Simply Rodri? Well no you probably haven’t either, unless you are a Sheffield Wednesday fan.

Because the forward, a Spanish under-21 international played for the Yorkshire side at the start of last season after signing on loan from Barcelona B.

His time at Hillsborough however was nothing to write home about. He signed a season-long loan deal last summer with The Owls with the option to make the deal permanent at the conclusion of the season.

Things started well for the player, scoring on debut against Birmingham City - but he soon drifted out of the first team. After 12 games and that solitary goal for the club he was released from his loan deal and returned to Barca.

He was then immediately re-loaned, this time to Real Zaragoza, who were promptly relegated. So it would be fair to say that the 2012-13 season did not exactly go according to plan for the diminutive front-man.

But this summer Barcelona agreed to send him out on a loan deal to UD Almeria - recently promoted from the Segunda Liga - with a view to making that deal permanent at the end of the current season.

And he has certainly started with a bang. His eventual consolation goal in a 4-2 defeat against Atletico Madrid yesterday took his tally for the season to four in four.

That makes him the second top-scorer in La Liga, wedged between Lionel Messi on six and Liverpool target Diego Costa in third, who also has four goals but one was a penalty meaning Rodri gets the nod ahead of him.

Quite illustrious company for a player cast aside by a team currently sitting in 20th place in The Championship.

Edited by GANGST3R

Rodri had a poor loan spell at Sheffield Wednesday last term, but is having an excellent season with UD Almeria so far.Ever heard of Rodrigo Rios Lozano? No. Simply Rodri? Well no you probably haven’t either, unless you are a Sheffield Wednesday fan.Because the forward, a Spanish under-21 international played for the Yorkshire side at the start of last season after signing on loan from Barcelona B.His time at Hillsborough however was nothing to write home about. He signed a season-long loan deal last summer with The Owls with the option to make the deal permanent at the conclusion of the season.Things started well for the player, scoring on debut against Birmingham City - but he soon drifted out of the first team. After 12 games and that solitary goal for the club he was released from his loan deal and returned to Barca.He was then immediately re-loaned, this time to Real Zaragoza, who were promptly relegated. So it would be fair to say that the 2012-13 season did not exactly go according to plan for the diminutive front-man.But this summer Barcelona agreed to send him out on a loan deal to UD Almeria - recently promoted from the Segunda Liga - with a view to making that deal permanent at the end of the current season.And he has certainly started with a bang. His eventual consolation goal in a 4-2 defeat against Atletico Madrid yesterday took his tally for the season to four in four.That makes him the second top-scorer in La Liga, wedged between Lionel Messi on six and Liverpool target Diego Costa in third, who also has four goals but one was a penalty meaning Rodri gets the nod ahead of him.Quite illustrious company for a player cast aside by a team currently sitting in 20th place in The Championship.

I think the point he is trying to make is that Rodri isn't so bad after all.

He must have gone back to Spain thinking that we are a Third world footballing nation.

Why we signed him, when we had no intention of playing to his undoubted strengthsI i will never know.

Edited by Bluey9

One person replies negatively, then all the standard pr!cks jump on the bandwagon and shout their mouths off. Oh no, more than one thread - lets all kick off.

It's a cracking point the OP is making - we just don't play people properly and have wasted a lot of effort in getting players in just to waste their ability. Taylor, Maguire, Lee, Mattock all fall into that category too.

If we played people and gave them a decent chance we wouldn't be half as cr4p.

One person replies negatively, then all the standard pr!cks jump on the bandwagon and shout their mouths off. Oh no, more than one thread - lets all kick off.

It's a cracking point the OP is making - we just don't play people properly and have wasted a lot of effort in getting players in just to waste their ability. Taylor, Maguire, Lee, Mattock all fall into that category too.

If we played people and gave them a decent chance we wouldn't be half as cr4p.

Totally agree mate.

Rodri did not settle in the UK..Got homesick went home.Nothing anyone can do about that.

Disagree to an extent - a lot could have been done.

Llera taking him under his wing.

Actually playing him up top where he's meant to play.

Us playing football.

Us not being rubbish.

Maybe he'd have settled in quicker if he'd have played games and scored goals. He played well against Birmingham and Millwall, missed a few chances against Palace, and then we got hammered at Brighton, which I believe was his last start. He only played four games. His other appearances were 5-10 mins here and there, from the bench. I think we should have been more patient with him, and given him a proper run in the team. But instead we had the joke that was Jay Bothroyd for 16 straight games. I'd liked to have seen Rodri with Nuhiu this season.

Disagree to an extent - a lot could have been done.

Llera taking him under his wing.

Actually playing him up top where he's meant to play.

Us playing football.

Us not being rubbish.

Good post.

He came, did not settle..Did not fit in..Did not speak the language..Did not like the area,Food etc..Got homesick.

When he did first come they said they will have to see if he settles.And he did not.

Nothing can change that.No matter what you try..If they don't want to be here you cannot keep them here.And its best not to.

He came, did not settle..Did not fit in..Did not speak the language..Did not like the area,Food etc..Got homesick.

When he did first come they said they will have to see if he settles.And he did not.

Nothing can change that.No matter what you try..If they don't want to be here you cannot keep them here.And its best not to.

You've made great points, but if he'd have played regularly, and scored goals, then he may have settled quicker and wanted to stay. I personally believe that had he have had a proper run in the side, that could have happened.

The last few months must have been a nightmare for him.

I spoke to Lee Bullen for five mins on New Years Day, and I asked him what his opinion was. He told me that Rodri looked good and he looked ready, but Dave didn't think so. He also told me that he'd asked to play Rodri and Danny Mayor in the development squad, but Dave was reluctant.

I think we've lost out on a good little player there.