Golf, badly played golf

Lee A

Started talking golf in todays news, feared somebody would complain so thought it might be time for a thread.

Anybody on here play regularly? If so where've you been playing lately, how badly do you play, what clubs are you hitting etc.

Post your boasts.

Finally a decent topic on Owlstalk lol

Last official Handicap was 6, more like 10 these days don't get time to play enough maybe once a week if I'm lucky, Mainly play at College pines and Phoenix.

Full set of forged i3's don't really use woods but do have a Snake eyes 3W and Hybrid.

DSC_0837.jpg

DSC_0724.jpg

DSC_0723.jpg

Standard Galvin Green tops

08082010273.jpg

The swing at about 12 years old lol

DSC_0725.jpg

Liking it all, love the swing, the i3s and especially the socks!

Dusted the i20s off and played College Pines a couple of weeks ago, only just started to play again myself, used to manage 1 or 2 a week but then didnt touch a club for about a year due to buying and working on a house.

The round wasn't the best, straight enough but lost a good few yards, good to be playing again though, hoping to get back to at least once a week now.

Lived in Spain last few years and got the handicap down to 5, lowest I've ever been and I'm over 50. For a club player, If you have the basics its really down to consistency and that comes through practice and playing often.

Moved to Canada and don't play half as much as I used to, hence the 9 handicap. Still happy to be shooting in the mid to high 70's gross as I approach 60 years.

My driver is a Callaway with Tour shaft and 8.5 degree loft, clubs are Callaway X 24's. Thinking of getting the Black Razr. Dont favour a particular ball, happy with Nike, Titleist, Callaway.

Love the gear, I have more golf clothing than any other clothes.

Private Club membership here is horrendous, joining fee ( non refundable)  minimum $10k and max upto $60k. On top of that you have your annual golf fees and also a quarterly bar tab, automatically deducted from your account and if you don't use it you lose it ( Approx $300 per quarter).

Consequently I play in a mens league at the council run courses, which by the way are excellent still paying upto $70 per round in the summer. I compare this to my club in Spain which was about 1500 euros per year ( You could play nearly every day for that) and 800 quid for my golf club in Manchester.

Hence I bugger off for the winter down to Palm Springs which boasts 120 golf clubs, great prices, $25 includes golf, buggy and 2 beers ! It beats Tankersley on a rainy day.

Edited by Señor Sam

Used to play every week from ages 13 to 15. Was getting quite decent. Stopped as it was cutting into my "getting nailed and being a cunt" routine.

Started playing again in my early 20's but haven't played for about 4 or 5 years due to moving up to Liverpool and not having the time. Clubs, bag, shoes, etc are all still at my parents house in Derby.

I was poor off the the tea, really struggled with the driver. Pretty decent with long irons though, used to hit a lovely 2 or 3 iron so would take that off the tea quite often on the par fours. 

The problem with golf is if you mishit your first couple of shots it really ruins the round. I used to get so annoyed with a bad shot that I couldn't enjoy myself. Bent a putter over my knee more than once.

I hit anything from a 5 iron down about the same distance, just at different trajectories and with a lot more risk of slicing 3 iron etc. So generally don't bother and skip straigt from 5 iron to 5 wood.

Last time I played was in April. On the 18th I drove into a 230 yards down the fairway, then hit a 5 iron from the sand 160 yards up a big hill to about 10 foot from the hole, and sunk the birdie putt. Certainly one of the best shots I've ever played.

Therefore might never play ever again.

Started playing again a few weeks back. Hadn't played properly for a few years. Just started using a driver properly. It makes life so much easier. Think i've perfected my driving swing. Still much prefer when i get on the fairway and i can get my 7, 8 or 9 irons out.

Putting severely lets me down. Started holding it like a cricket bat with my right hand half way down the club. Seems to be working.

If its effective, doesn't have look pretty I suppose.

You see some horror swings at the course I often play though, I always love to see old lads who've clearly been playing for years and know their game is awful ( not saying yours is Harry it just reminded me ) and so they point their whole body absolutely miles to the left when hitting off the tee, because they know they're going to shank it to the right and end up in the middle of the fairway.

I love it when someone walks up all cocky wanting to play through you and shank it.

Not got a membership so just being playing at the grange. £10 at around 5.00pm as its twilight hours. A boogie is only a £10 as well. Can get about 14 holes in. Great value. Nice course as well.

Yeah getting to the time of year now where I'll just play the front 9 after work one evening.

Good course where I play, runs alongside Sherwood Golf Club so you if you do shank one on the back 9 you might take out a nice Jag in their car park

Challenging enough course, a lot of the front 9 is very uphill, course and clubhouse just needs a bit of TLC.

Which courses do you play and recommend around Sheffield ? When I was a kid I was a member at Tankersley, last played it about 5 years ago, still a good challenge. Hillsbro was a toughie especially in the wind. Quite like Abbeydale.

I used to play quite regularly in my late teens. Never got a handicap and used to go around and play on a variety of courses. But the once a week turned to once a fortnight, then into once a month, then into a couple of times in the last 4 years. Really aiming to get a few rounds of golf in over the summer months.

I have horrible short game. I can hit the greens without much issue but when it comes to finding that hole, that's where it comes crashing down for me.

Quite like Abbeydale.

Only one I've ever been round near Sheffield, did enjoy it, seem to remember the 4th hole being a total ***** of a long par 4 though.

I have horrible short game. I can hit the greens without much issue but when it comes to finding that hole, that's where it comes crashing down for me.

Sound like Lee Westwood, there's hope for you yet mate.

Edited by Lee A

I've not played for over a year due to a fvcked shoulder.

I'm not reight good tbh & generally used to go around in the 90's.

I enjoyed the craic more than anything with the mates!

Played Celtic Manor (2 weeks before the ryder cup)

Oulton Hall in leeds where I chipped in from round about 90 yards on the 18th & got a ovation from the club house lol I felt like a pro for a few minutes haha

Played a few courses in Portugal, one with the longest par five in Europe.

I've missed out out on a golf trip to wales this week ! :-(

Not sure I'll be reight enough to play it again or certainly imminently but always look forward to watching it on TV.

I've followed Henrik Stenson rise from No231 in the world to No6 in around a year. Top player.

Edited by richowl