A retrospective slightly calmed down view!

Guest justcraig

Guest justcraig

So,  I've had a couple of alcohol infused days to get over the shambolic performance we were all subjected to on Saturday and it's got me thinking (doesn't happen often)

Only 4 games in I know, but, what does the future have in store for us?  Happy clappers will say "it's ok, it's only 4 games in" and the doom and gloomers will be shouting "Jones out! Pulis in!" God knows why anyone would want that tactically inept clown here mind!

For me, DJ can't have any excuses, as quite simply, he's playing the exact same tactics which were so unfruitful for us last season! 4-4-1-1 at Home, not utilising our pacey wingers, lumping forward to a bloke who's 6"6' standing bur 5"6' jumping and hope for the best!

I watched QPR on the TV before, every time a player came down the wing for them, they had 2 players in the box! That is something we haven't had in 18 months and irritates the life out of me! Why why why have pacy wingers if they have to cut in everytime because there's no=one in the box to challenge???

4 games in and we've already been worked out! why? Because we did it all last season too!!  I really don't understand the tactics.... DJ built this squad, they're playing to his tactics and yet he blames ridiculous things like the crowd!! Seriously???????????

We have a decent squad, one certainly capable of staying in the championship, if not pushing top 12.  but they'll amount to nothing without a decent game plan! I'm not going to waste time reitterating what everyone knows... the midfield just isn't good enough! Coke and Prutton just aren't good enough, Helan and Antonio look severly low on confidence and we don't have anyone up front!! Nuhiu said when he arrived, that he was a box player....... well frickin get in it then! MaGuire came on for him and was lost in the channels!

We drew at home to what looked to me like a Very very poor Millwall side!  Doncaster are going to come and take the game to us, we're going to really struggle against them if something doesn't happen now!

I didn't mean this thread as a get Jones out thread and I'm sorry if it comes across that way, but he needs to sort it out, he cannot blame anyone else anymore!

SORT IT OUT!

Have a good week

Guest silvergusy

Cant disagree with much of what you've said apart from our squad, it isn't decent it's Ok at best and we desperately need a leader in the middle of the park because in my opinion we just don't have one.

We also need a striker in on loan asap because we are so limited off the bench in that position it's not even funny, how DJ has allowed us to start the season with only Nuhui and Maguire as recognised strikers is criminal. Nuhui has not got up to speed yet and that's fair because he's been thrown in at the deep end with all the pressure to boot when Madine should be putting in a shift as well. But, as we know due to his court case he's been left out and the only ones suffering are the rest of the squad... and us!

It's always the case with players like that and I for one would like to see Madine out of the club unless he stays well out of trouble for the rest of the season and starts putting the flipping ball in the net! That's providing he doesn't get sent down of course.

Cm and striker required for us to have a decent squad, as it stands right now we are below decent and our league position reflects that perfectly.

Decent post.

Makes a change to see somebody not making excuses and apologising for DJ.

Accountability sits firmly on his shoulders. He's paid a very good wage by our club, and in return we expect a certain level of performance from him.

Blaming the supporters etc not an option any more.

Guest totemowl

Good post.

But I dont know why you have to divide fans into happy clapper and doom and gloomers tho. Just a bit divisive.

Also, I reckoned we were getting 3-4 players into the box just about everytime we went down the wing, so not unhappy with that. I thought we were working hard around the box, but not getting the breakthroughs in the box.

Arguably 2 goals should have been enough, but we shoukd have scored more.

Guest justcraig

Good post.

But I dont know why you have to divide fans into happy clapper and doom and gloomers tho. Just a bit divisive.

Also, I reckoned we were getting 3-4 players into the box just about everytime we went down the wing, so not unhappy with that. I thought we were working hard around the box, but not getting the breakthroughs in the box.

Arguably 2 goals should have been enough, but we shoukd have scored more.

I wasn't dividing fans, because i'm neither of those, I just said that people who fall into that category will shout those things.  As for getting people in the box, we must have watched a different game, rarely did we have anyone in the box, hence we always had to come backwards.

with 10 mins to go, we win a corner and have 3 players in there for it???? might as well just give it to Bywater for a goal kick!

Guest totemowl

I wasn't dividing fans, because i'm neither of those, I just said that people who fall into that category will shout those things. As for getting people in the box, we must have watched a different game, rarely did we have anyone in the box, hence we always had to come backwards.

with 10 mins to go, we win a corner and have 3 players in there for it???? might as well just give it to Bywater for a goal kick!

Thinking back, those recollections were mainly of the first half. Second half was a different game, mainly because our midfield disappeared. Still recall players getting into the box in support of our wing play but probably not as often.

Guest justcraig

Thinking back, those recollections were mainly of the first half. Second half was a different game, mainly because our midfield disappeared. Still recall players getting into the box in support of our wing play but probably not as often.

Did we have a midfield??? lol I think with the players in the box scenario, for me when we break, you need a minimum of 1 striker, if not 2 in the box, Andy Johnson and Charlie Austin do it every break for QPR (i Know I know they're a better player) but, if we push both strikers up, it forces their defence back, usually complemented by a midfielder, tactics we should always employ at home.

The way we play allows teams to come at us! Playing one lone non-match fit striker who's completely new to English football, just isn't going to work!  He's not gonna stand a chance and his confidence will disappear rapidly, we'll not get the best out of him and never actually see the real Nuhiu!

Football is all about triangles, our players don't seem to look for space when they've not got the ball. If you look at say Swansea, every player that hasn't got the ball is coming short looking for space, we never seem to do this hence the long ball over the top for the pace men or the knock up to the big man for the knock down that nobody gets on the end of

Guest totemowl

Did we have a midfield??? lol I think with the players in the box scenario, for me when we break, you need a minimum of 1 striker, if not 2 in the box, Andy Johnson and Charlie Austin do it every break for QPR (i Know I know they're a better player) but, if we push both strikers up, it forces their defence back, usually complemented by a midfielder, tactics we should always employ at home.

The way we play allows teams to come at us! Playing one lone non-match fit striker who's completely new to English football, just isn't going to work! He's not gonna stand a chance and his confidence will disappear rapidly, we'll not get the best out of him and never actually see the real Nuhiu!

Agree with that. But was the intention in the 2nd half to go 433 when attacking. I think so. But it all went wrong in midfield because those 5 just failed to deliver in second half. Hence we lost the advantage we had...

Agree with what you're saying . Despite all the hype about the pace in our squad ,I saw very little of it on saturday and the point about leaving the big lad up front on his own is well made . Putting Antonio up there on his own was even more suspect  - he needs to be out there on the wing , using his pace and cutting in .The other thing that worries me is the general fitness . I know that the likes of Prutton are getting on a bit and likely to feel the effects of still trying to be a box to box player , but what's the problem with Coke , Helan , Semedo , Palmer - they all seem to run out of legs in the 2nd half of many games , with the result that we inevitably drift further and further back , which I dont think is necessarily a formal tactic on the part of D J . We do need some inspiration and drive , otherwise I can see more teams [ just like Rotherham did ] ,steamrolling us into submission .The late goal was inevitable on saturday , no-one seemed able to make a run upfield to support our lone striker when we did manage to clear . Hence my query , are they fit enough to use and benefit from the pace if they cant get there to support ? 

Guest Big Guns

I can agree with that post except the pulis bit

Bring on the long ball master

Guest justcraig

..central midfield...not good enough..hasn't been for more than I can recall. That's where we need to strengthen and the lack of any transfer dealings there is the single most worrying cause for concern...

Agree entirely! our current CM's were on loan at L1 clubs last season but now deemed good enough to run the engine room to take us up the table....... really???? It's like JOC and Potter all over again!!!

we havent tried to put any team to the sword for ages . everytime we get a goal in front we just retreat further and further back and always make sure the oppositions heads never go down as they always have a chance . last few minutes of a game if any other team is losing or drawing they throw the kitchen sink at the opposition all we do is seem to accept the result after 90 minutes and do nothing whatsoever to change it . im not going to go for the megson in bit but least when we had him and we went a goal down or conceded so we were drawing the players visibly seemed to be as f****d off as us and steam into them . now the way were playing we play the same if were 1 down , drawing or 1 up . millwall were the worst team to come to hillsborough in ages and the points were ours to lose and thats exactly what we did .

Guest justcraig

we havent tried to put any team to the sword for ages . everytime we get a goal in front we just retreat further and further back and always make sure the oppositions heads never go down as they always have a chance . last few minutes of a game if any other team is losing or drawing they throw the kitchen sink at the opposition all we do is seem to accept the result after 90 minutes and do nothing whatsoever to change it . im not going to go for the megson in bit but least when we had him and we went a goal down or conceded so we were drawing the players visibly seemed to be as f****d off as us and steam into them . now the way were playing we play the same if were 1 down , drawing or 1 up . millwall were the worst team to come to hillsborough in ages and the points were ours to lose and thats exactly what we did .

Would you put this down to complete nervous wrecks???  If we go a goal up, we seem poo scared to go for the throat, I put this down to severly lacking confidence.

We look well equipped for the away matches, but DJ really needs to work out what he wants to do at home.

He said in the summer that he wanted us to take the game to teams from the off like we did on the final day. We did do that against Millwall but then sat back, its fairly normal to take fewer risks when youre in the lead but Millwall were there to be killed off.

we need another sherridan type in the midfield, strikers and wingers would benefit Immensely from it Antonio should be in his winger roll where he is at his best ,we need a busy striker around the big man, and players to back the forwards up when we

attack ,and most of all play to our strengths and stop sitting back at 1 goal in front , we ain't adept enough to do it ,