At What Point Were You Happiest As A Sheffield Wednesday Supporter?

I'm genuinely interested here, as we do nowt but whinge these days. Waddle's goal against The Blunts was a massive one, even though I was only twelve, but I got a huge buzz off Guy Whittingham's goal at Anfield in 96. And obviously 2005 and the Wycombe game were huge high points. (Started going in 91)

As a Schoolkid I attended Myers Grove with Lesbarbeux and we attended a few games together. I can't share his most uplifting moment though.

Having been diddled as a little kid in the Main Road semi in 1960 I remembered my disappointment as My father and I made our way into Villa Park for the 1966 semi-final. I hoped for the best but feared the worst, as a 15 year old I was beginning to comprehend something of the pain and suffering we Wednesdayites had to go through.  

Graham Pugh put is in front, but the ride was far from easy as Vic Mobley picked up a terrible ligament injury that was to rob him of what was then the richest prize in football outside the international circuit. Mobley limped around heroically making himself a real nuisance to Chelsea defenders. Our nerves were wrecked until Jim McCalliog sent a little looping header over the thick muddy goal mouth to nestle in the back of the net.

I've never seen so many grown men with tears in their eyes as Wednesday coasted the remaining minutes to a 2-0 victory and their place at Wembley.

From a distance of many years the game for me, be it league cup or FA Cup the biggest game you can play is the Semi rather than the Final. 

The semi holds so much disappointment should you lose and the promise of all the glory should you win. That 66 Semi promised me my first trip to Wembley one that in some ways is so vivid but in others just a misty memory.

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

Guest Distraught!

I guess the moment it started to sink in that there really was no way back for Chelsea in the League Cup Semi-Final. It was relief mixed with ecstacy for me. Non match specific moments include Nilsson agreeing to extend his contract and when BFR stated that he was staying at Wednesday (before turning his decision in our faces later and flipping off to Villa).

Guest Sweet&TenderOwl

I was happiest most as a Wednesday supporter from the age of 10 during our incredible 1990/91 promotion and league cup winning season up until the infamous season when Di Canio lost his head and pushed Alcock that was also around the time I left high school. We've been shyte ever since. Apart from the the two promotion seasons, the day at the Millennium Stadium and pipping the Blades to automatic promotion, plus in-between finishing 9th under Laws are the only seasons since our top flight days that have come as close to that great time when we had top players.

The rest of the time as been dire but I'm still proud to call myself a Welsh Owl, the Wednesday have given me many great memories and numerous memories to forget in the rollercoaster ride of being a Sheffield Wednesday supporter. But most of all I'm glad we've still got a club and I'm proud of it's long history despite all the up's and down's, and what as seemed like an age of being in the doledrums ever since it went boobies up due to mismanagement and greedy vultures, who bled us dry and didn't careless about our great club.

Edited by Sweet&TenderOwl

Of course the early 90's were a golden time. But my happiest times following Wednesday were from when Jack Charlton took over until we got promoted back to the top flight with Howard. It was a golden time because anything was possible after the desolation of the mid 70's

on the back of the Wednesday lp celebrating the promotion it actually poses the question league champions 1988? Can you imagine that now.

As a Schoolkid I attended Myers Grove with Lesbarbeux and we attended a few games together. I can't share his most uplifting moment though.

Having been diddled as a little kid in the Main Road semi in 1960 I remembered my disappointment as My father and I made our way into Villa Park for the 1966 semi-final. I hoped for the best but feared the worst, as a 15 year old I was beginning to comprehend something of the pain and suffering we Wednesdayites had to go through.  

Graham Pugh put is in front, but the ride was far from easy as Vic Mobley picked up a terrible ligament injury that was to rob him of what was then the richest prize in football outside the international circuit. Mobley limped around heroically making himself a real nuisance to Chelsea defenders. Our nerves were wrecked until Jim McCalliog sent a little looping header over the thick muddy goal mouth to nestle in the back of the net.

I've never seen so many grown men with tears in their eyes as Wednesday coasted the remaining minutes to a 2-0 victory and their place at Wembley.

From a distance of many years the game for me, be it league cup or FA Cup the biggest game you can play is the Semi rather than the Final. 

The semi holds so much disappointment should you lose and the promise of all the glory should you win. That 66 Semi promised me my first trip to Wembley one that in some ways is so vivid but in others just a misty memory.

Definitely with you there Nev!

Other notables for me were Blackburn away, and of course Boxing Day, during Big Jack's promotion season.

Probably the league cup semi final second leg at home to Chelsea when after seeing us come so close to getting to Wembley we had finally done it.

One of the truly magical nights at Hillsborough with the standing kop in full voice "Que sara sara".

Then to go to Wembley and actually win the cup was quite simply an unforgettable experience, a wonderful time to be a Wednesdayite.

I wasn't old enough or local enough for the cup finals in 1990 and 1993.

So for me it was Cardiff against Hartlepool. I went through the ringer with that team that day.

First time I'd seen Wednesday succeed at anything. It was also the only time my mum saw them live in a final (rip). She was to ill to enjoy the promotion season.

Great memories.

Edited by Maddogbob