how long have people been supporting wednesday ?

Guest cypress hill

First match in 1953 on the kop. Sat in the uncovered seats in the South Stand behind the home dug out from 1973 where we endured the almost goal-less 1974/5 season. The 'dialogue' between the fans and the dug out and Director's Box during this period was much more entertaining than what was happening on the pitch.

Thinking that things could only get better following the arrival of Jack Charlton, I bought our North Stand season tickets in 1979. I've been there in the same seats* ever since, first with my dad, then with my son and daughter, now with my grandson.

From the depths of 1975 to the delights of 1990 to 1995 and the spectacular days at Cardiff in 2005 and at Hillsborough at the end of the 2011/12 season, the football has been emotional. At times, in the last few years, it's been a bit interesting off the pitch too!

And as S&T Owl says, we still have a club to support and in its own stadium. Let's make sure that continues.

(* Not strictly true - the actual seats have been replaced a couple of times!)

I wonder what it would have been like with Owls talk back then.

Over half a season without a goal at Hillsborough and only one goal away at Fulham.

Attendances were down to 7,000 so fans could not be accused of holding club back in that season. :rolleyes:

First game was 22 March 1983, although I learned to read by reading the match reports out of the Star.  For the record the game finished 2-2, Megson and McCulloch for Wednesday and Smith and Macdonald for Leicester.  Lineker was in the Leicester team and Larry May was on their bench.

Guest Shnozzle

First had an interest as a 7/8 year old in the late 70's after finding a bunch of late 60's Wednesday programmes in a cupboard at my grandad's house. I read them all back to front and back again. Growing up outside of Sheffield i finally got to Hillsborough as a 14 year old when me and two school mates travelled by buses for the opening fixture of the 85/86 season against Chelsea. The game was drawn 1-1, my life was complete. The three of us made it back later the same season for the Spurs game. I started going more regular in the 90's.

First game - September 25, 1982.

Wednesday 3 - 2 Chelsea

Shelton, Smith & Bannister scored.  Hooked from the minute we started walking down Herries Rd towards the ground.

Edited by Neal M

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

Guest Blinking owl

53 year's and get the same feeling when I run up them kop now as the first time I went. LOVE IT WAWAW

53 year's and get the same feeling when I run up them kop now as the first time I went. LOVE IT WAWAW

Guest davet30

The short answer is ….. 17 years.  If you're interested read on for the long answer…   :biggrin:

OK here goes … “cracks knuckles”  Being a misguided youngster growing up in a mining village just north of Doncaster playing footie in the streets, I began ‘supporting’ Manure along with my neighbour – being the ‘main’ club with Doncaster Rovers being my ‘second’ club.

My first professional football club experience was Donny Rovers V Tranmere Rovers circa 1968.  I remember vividly the music playing on the PA system but nothing of the game. 

My eldest Brother was, and still is, a Leeds fan and around 1970 I began accompanying him on the occasional long bus journey to Elland Road where we stood clutching a coffee cup on the freezing terraces in ‘The Gelded end’  It was the Era of Billy Bremner etc and I only remember one game V Coventry.  Being a young kid I didn’t get to see too much over the adults shoulders.  Willie Carr scored against Leeds in that game as I remember.

I guess I was a Leeds fan up to leaving school in 1974 but can only remember going to see them about 6 times in all that time.

From the mid 1970’s football was the most furthest interest in my life, in fact I can’t remember seeing a football match on TV since the Leeds V Arsenal FA cup final in 1972.

So I had a footballing drought between the mid 1970’s to the late 1990’s (apart from 1 trip to the Lane which, if I can remember, was around 1973.  A school friend of mine was a SUFC fan and he persuaded me to go and watch them.  I don’t remember who they played (It could even have been SWFC) or the score.  All I remember was naively, at the final whistle, I left by the back of the cop.  As I was walking down the back I saw a wave of away supporters coming round from the other end and then the sky became black as loads of stones began raining down on me!  I think JJ would have been hard pressed to keep up with me as I ran back up that hill!

I married and so did my wife’s sister.  My new brother-in-law was, and still is, a life long Wednesdayite and one day he asked if I wanted to go ‘n’ see the Owls at Hillsborough.  I must say it was a right eye opener SEATING!!  And a much better view of the pitch akin to Tv cameras!  I think it was around 1996 V Villa.  Anyway I was very impressed with the experience.  Since the other brother-in-law (the wife’s younger brother) also supported The Owls that was it for me I became hooked.