Shocking negative tactics our downfall today

Guest Deleted member

Ive no problem with general comments from people who haven't seen anything - but specific comments about specific incidents are ridiculous

Obviously when we listen to commentary it's impossible to say if something is in or out of the box or a penalty.

But we can get a good idea of what is going on.

In the first half, you hardly heard a Millwall player being mentioned, we were attacking and had the ball for much of the half and were creating chances - with Millwall creating nothing.

In the second half, all you heard was Millwall players with the ball, some near misses, the odd break from us, and the commentators wondering why we were sitting back and being so lethargic. On one corner, we had a striker taking the kick, with only 3 in the box. They then got the inevitable equalizer and we then abandon sitting back and bring on another striker and start trying to win the game again.

Sad thing is, we should have tried to win the game all the second half instead of just containing.

You must have missed that quote from above 

Millwall's defender, Alan Dunne, said this about us...which speaks volumes.

"Once the had the lead I think Wednesday let us have the ball a bit and allowed us to come at them. We played very good football and dominated, particularly in the second-half, and most of their play in the end was long-ball stuff. The belief we showed to pull it back was brilliant.''

Millwall's defender, Alan Dunne, said this about us...which speaks volumes.

"Once the had the lead I think Wednesday let us have the ball a bit and allowed us to come at them. We played very good football and dominated, particularly in the second-half, and most of their play in the end was long-ball stuff. The belief we showed to pull it back was brilliant.''

Unfortunately he has summed up how we played in the second half pretty well.

The decision to take Nuhiu off yet continue to play direct towards Antonio didn't help. Pushing Reda further up field in the hope of hitting him with long diagonals says a lot about the way our midfield was bypassed and is largely used as a means of stopping the opposition rather than developing our own attacks.

Very disappointing, even more so with it being a home game against a team we would hope to finish above in the division. 

Guest bully87

I was baffled, on the bench we had Lavery, Maguire and Maghoma. 3 players brought in to the team by Jones to get us goals. We were 2-1 up at half time playing well against a poor team that were not hurting us at all. If you are going to play 4-5-1 you need your centre midfielders winning the second ball at least and they weren't, not one of them got stuck in to win a second ball.

Now i watched how they lined up and it was 4-5-1, everytime Nuhiu got the ball the nearest player was 15-20 yards away. Thats not 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 

It was a ridiculous decision and one that he will rebuff to be the reason. As soon as he did it I said we won't win this. It was an obvious tactic to sit back and see the game out. If he wanted to carry on attacking why not bring a forward player on? As he no trust in these players. He constantly goes on about how each player has a chance here and its up to them to take it, but Maguire gets 1 game and is benched....as a striker you need more than 1 game to do your stuff.

For me I know it is early and we have been unlucky with decisions against us, but we will never win if we constantly sit back on a 1 goal lead

DJ is on borrowed time

Guest oz_owl

4-5-1 can work when teams are ahead, sit back and hit teams on the counter.

But we are seemingly awful at it, Jones has gotta realise that.

That's not true though.  We have been very good at it.  Probably our best performance last season was away at Hull where we used 4-5-1 with quick counter-attacking to perfection.  As has been said elsewhere though, they weren't the right tactics to be playing today.

Guest bully87

Also does anyone think that Lavery did more in the 9 minutes he was on the pitch going forward than any other member of the team did the whole of the second half

Guest oz_owl

You can argue the to$$ about Jones' negative tactics, the re-signing of Prutton and Coke, the lack of money for new signings. In fact you can argue the F**king To$$ about anything you Bloody want but at the moment we are side who play percentage football because that's all we can play because of the quality (or should I say lack of quality) of the players at DJ's disposal.

Quality costs money. We don't have any. It seems sometimes like we never have had given all the Sh!t and struggles that we have had over the years. So we are where we are playing percentage football. Playing for corners, free kicks & throw ins. Trying to get Antonio on the shoulder of the last defender for the ball over the top. When you play this type of football you need to get a lot of decisions in your favour from the officials but we all know there's sweet fanny adams chance of this happening?

So we are in limbo until things change whether it be a change of manager (which I think personally would be a mistake), DJ hitting on a better balance in formation and play than there is at the moment or Investment from the top whether it be from MM or a change of ownership?

As long as we avoid the catastrophic losing runs of last season then I think we'll finish higher than last season but nothing will change dramatically IMO unless one of the above happens?

I don't know, I think it's far too easy to boil things down to "quality costs money".  It's an easy statement to make that ignores a long history of clubs who have succeeded without spending heaps of cash.  Either way it's a moot point for us.

Much more important is the ability to recruit wisely - this is true no matter what level of finance you have behind you.  And if you can't recruit the players to suit the style you want to play you need to be tactically savvy enough to adjust your style to suit the players at your disposal.

Guest oz_owl

Also does anyone think that Lavery did more in the 9 minutes he was on the pitch going forward than any other member of the team did the whole of the second half

To be fair it wasn't difficult!  :rolleyes:

But yeah, he's looked quite promising in his brief appearances so far.  Seems to have bulked up over the last year and it'll be interesting to see whether he can continue to progress.  Unfortunately I suspect he'll be pushed out of the picture when the loan signings come in.

£29 to watch that utter garbage.

There's so much wrong it's hard to know where to start.

As said Millwaw are laughably bad and we let them play, imagine what will happen turning out like that when Watford or Forrest come to town.

Very worrying.

That is very true.

I hate to say it and really don't want to believe it but realistically any top six team will murder us currently.

Its going to be a long old season.

I hope Jones can inspire them and find some team spirit. Unfortunately his negative tactics don't give me any confidence. Although its amazing what a couple of wins will do to any teams mindset.

Working abroad so that's my last match now for a month. Originally I was gutted but after our last few performances, I don't think I'm going to be too upset at missing a few games now. Rotherham was dire, Burnley again nothing to get very excited about, Leeds a good point but poor second half, then today we were set up for a draw at best against a side we should have buried.

Wasn't poor football MM's reason for sacking Megson? MM should watch this game again a couple of times and wonder about how many will turn up against Yeovil. Defence wise DJ's players in balance those going out, but midfield wise and striker wise we are a down a couple of players and it is really showing now. Teams like Nottingham Forest would have torn us apart today.

MM needs to do what he promised and back his manager or replace him with a manager like Gary Johnson who can inspire the kind of players you get for ten bob and a rusty conker!

Unfortunately he has summed up how we played in the second half pretty well.

The decision to take Nuhiu off yet continue to play direct towards Antonio didn't help. Pushing Reda further up field in the hope of hitting him with long diagonals says a lot about the way our midfield was bypassed and is largely used as a means of stopping the opposition rather than developing our own attacks.

Very disappointing, even more so with it being a home game against a team we would hope to finish above in the division. 

your right , the total desperation  of having Reda do that just shows the lack of creativity! ... Does Jones know this & apposed to putting maybe more creative players that are inexperienced/young, he's bulking up the midfield with stoppers until he can find the right guy's' to create, i dunno, i need my gin.

I don't really get that we were "good" in the first half, I thought we were poor then as well. I was lucky no one around me took the bet that it would be 2-2 at half time. The goal that eventually came was inevitable, it was as easy to see as it was predictable.

So much wrong all over the park, a total mess, akin to when Megson took over from Irvine.

It is going to be a long horrible season. 

No doubt about it, that 2nd half was horrendous.

Worrying too much about the opposition, which we had pretty much at bay all first half.

Chaplow man marked by Prutton? Fuuuucking Chaplow.... poo the bed.

Poor decision to change shape, leaving an out of form Antonio up top fighting for scraps at home against a team that's been reamed every week so far.

Feels like a defeat, but more concerned about the Rotherham 'one off' performance rearing its head again.

Can't blame the ref for that crap.

Agreed.

Tbh I don't think the first half was owt to write home about.

It was embarrassing how the fans blamed the ref lol

Our centre midfield were so deep they were bruising our back fours toes.

That has to rank as the worst throw away since we went 3 up against Chelsea in the league cup and got KO'd.

Bad decisions today but Millwall were so poor we shouldn't have needed them.

The only players to escape my wrath today were the Big Lads at left back and up front and Palmer when switched to right back + Kirkland. Everyone else who started were pathetic.

You don't sit back at 2-1. You just can't do it. It's a dangerous scoreline.

The penalty, which I thought was harsh, obviously cost us the game but we shouldn't have been in that position in the first place. DJ was so negative it was unreal.

Had DJ saw sense and put on Maghoma or Maguire, things would've turned out a lot differently in a positive way.

To be fair today is the first time I've really got frustrated and questioned DJ's decisions during a game, it was obvious it wasn't working and that Millwall were going to get a chance with the continued pressure. It was a soft penalty but that had been coming for at least 30 minutes, I'd have put Maghoma on instead of Semedo especially as Palmer was being pushed back to full back, I hope today was just a bad day at the office for Jones and he can mastermind a victory at Boro.  :biggrin:

I have generally been supportive of Dave Jones but today was one of the worst displays of managerial tactics I've seen in 42 years watching Wednesday.

We're playing an awful team who are clearly vunerable every time we went forward. They were shambolic defensively.

The decision after Buxton's injury to a) bring on Semedo and b) go to a 4-5-1 formation was mind blowingly stupid.

We should be attacking teams like Millwall instead of sitting back, inviting them to attack us and suffer the inevitable consequences.

Jones should have brought Maguire on and continued attacking them.

We can blame referees all we like but we should have been out of sight by then.

I'm still in shock that playing an awful team that Jones tries to defend a one goal lead at home for 45 minutes.

Total madness from Jones.

^^^ This 100%.

Possibly the most woeful, lackluster performance I have seen for a long long time. The tactics DJ employed in the 2nd half were nothing short of ridiculous. We lost all the forward momentum, shape and ultimately creativity. Quite honestly, if we had lost I wouldn't have been in the slightest bit surprised.

I think I have now seen enough from all 5 games we have played to know that this if going to be a long season, unless we have get back to the way we attacked QPR, and many in which we set about Leeds.