Shocking negative tactics our downfall today

I have generally been supportive of Dave Jones but today was one of the worst displays of managerial tactics I've seen in 42 years watching Wednesday.

We're playing an awful team who are clearly vunerable every time we went forward. They were shambolic defensively.

The decision after Buxton's injury to a) bring on Semedo and b) go to a 4-5-1 formation was mind blowingly stupid.

We should be attacking teams like Millwall instead of sitting back, inviting them to attack us and suffer the inevitable consequences.

Jones should have brought Maguire on and continued attacking them.

We can blame referees all we like but we should have been out of sight by then.

I'm still in shock that playing an awful team that Jones tries to defend a one goal lead at home for 45 minutes.

Total madness from Jones.

I'm glad somebody else has pointed this out.

I've seen many people on here saying tactics don't win or lose us games ..... I hope they witnessed the game today & accepted that they're wrong.

Obviously Buxton's I jury was a setback, especially with no obvious replacement, but going to 451 (or 4141) was just criminal & without doubt cost us 2 points.

The problems we have are compounded by Jones tactics.

If he thinks fans want to watch us sit back against an awful team who should be attacked he's deluded.

He will lose games and see gates drop.

It reminded me of his 4-5-1 tactics with Bothroyd last season.

His mindset is total negative at home. May cost us dearly.

Guest Deleted member

I have generally been supportive of Dave Jones but today was one of the worst displays of managerial tactics I've seen in 42 years watching Wednesday.

We're playing an awful team who are clearly vunerable every time we went forward. They were shambolic defensively.

The decision after Buxton's injury to a) bring on Semedo and b) go to a 4-5-1 formation was mind blowingly stupid.

We should be attacking teams like Millwall instead of sitting back, inviting them to attack us and suffer the inevitable consequences.

I'm still in shock that playing an awful team that Jones tries to defend a one goal lead at home for 45 minutes.

I agree in part - the bit in bold

I felt we should have brought Maghoma on and moved Palmer to RB. And just carried on as we were.

But you can't be serious in suggesting that the referee wasn't 50:50 responsible for that result - he was awful too

Guest oz_owl

Whilst I disagree that it's the worst tactical display by a manager (I've been watching about half as long as you & seen much much worse!), I do agree with the points you've made.

Millwall were mind-numbingly poor, & to reflect on how inept we were against them is soul destroying. Essentially 3 defensive midfielders, strikers as wingers, wingers as strikers. This game needed nothing clever to win it.

I felt we should have brought Maghoma on and moved Palmer to RB. And just carried on as we were.

But you can't be serious in suggesting that the referee wasn't 50:50 responsible for that result - he was awful too

It was a clear penalty though.

Grandad, the referee was awful but it shouldn't have mattered.

We just need to play to our strengths against poor teams at home.

We would have scored at least one more goal.

Its games like these that could well decide our fate in April.

No doubt about it, that 2nd half was horrendous.

Worrying too much about the opposition, which we had pretty much at bay all first half.

Chaplow man marked by Prutton? Fuuuucking Chaplow.... poo the bed.

Poor decision to change shape, leaving an out of form Antonio up top fighting for scraps at home against a team that's been reamed every week so far.

Feels like a defeat, but more concerned about the Rotherham 'one off' performance rearing its head again.

Can't blame the ref for that crap.

Well I can honestly say that is the worst performance I have seen today since we played Yeovil at home in league 1 in the depths of winter under Megson.

We have played probably the worst team in the championship yet for much of the game they passed and kept the ball much better than us, we were awful in every department.

Why are we being negative at home against a team like this when we should be going all out for 3 points. Why not play Reda up front with Nihiu and play Llera. 

We have apparently strengthened midfield yet spend most of our time knocking the ball straight over the top of it straight back to the opposition.

Few of the midfielders are confident on the ball and can't string several passes together and for some of the game today they didn't look as though they wanted the ball.

Totally agree with the title, the negative tactics are awful and will only drive fans away.

I heard Jones on the radio saying we should be able to win ugly lol, against the likes of QPR, Reading and Wigan yes but against the likes of Millwall we should be winning well.

I ask myself what has improved.

That said we were robbed by some poor decisions as well but it shouldn't have mattered.

Edited by Vic Flange

Terrible decision at HT to change the way he did and it did cost us the win today, no matter how sh*t the referee and his assistants were.

It really was as simple as keeping it 4-4-2 with either Maghoma or Maguire coming on.

Edited by BRADDAZ

Guest Deleted member

Don't get me wrong - I was furious at our 2nd half tactics - theres no way we should be playing 4-5-1 in a 2nd half when we are 2-1 up against poor opposition.

But you can't deny the penalty we should have had - theres no way the penalty they got was more of a penalty than Antonios.