Players agents... Kevin Davies on them badly advising him etc.

Don't think its in reference to the possibility of signing for us, but it's an interesting read over on skysports.com:

"Agents have all the power and make all the moves, telling the players what to do. That's the way it works, unfortunately."

"I've forgotten how many times I've been advised to stomp in and see the manager demanding to move."

"It can be quite difficult for a young player to sit in a manager's office," he added. "It can be quite daunting for him. So I can understand why the agent will sometimes go in with them."

I find it interesting that at least two of the transfers we've brokered so far this season have had issues with agents, with Zayatte confirming he left his agent after a deal broke down only to sort the deal himself (he was using the agent so he could spend some time with family in france) and Helan reportedly having similar issues.

Plus we have the whole Hayden White thing where it's also reported the agent pushed for the Bolton move despite the player already having seemed happy with a tabled deal by the club.

I get the picture that someone at the club isn't exactly a pushover with the agents these days... not sure who, but considering the MASSIVE agent fees we had last year I can't help but feel it's not someone who was at the helm at the start of last season.

Anyone any ideas?

Edited by POWP

If the whole system of agency was overhauled it might help restore some sense to football finance.

I can't help but feel it would go this way, were it not for the ridiculous power the agents hold at the moment. They control the players so they control the game unfortunately.

I can't help but feel it would go this way, were it not for the ridiculous power the agents hold at the moment. They control the players so they control the game unfortunately.

It would be better if agents were required to charge a fixed fee for each dealing they have with a club for negotiating a transfer or sorting out a new contract.  

This would reduce the amount of dysfunctional behaviour that may take place.

It would be better if agents were required to charge a fixed fee for each dealing they have with a club for negotiating a transfer or sorting out a new contract.  

This would reduce the amount of dysfunctional behaviour that may take place.

But if a fixed fee existed and another club found a way around it wouldn't a greedy agent push for that deal instead?

Aren't agents on a % of any fee, which is normally paid by the club and not the player.

So the larger any fee the more they will be paid.

I don't think it's specifically tied to the fee, they could negotiate their fee outside of the players contract terms for instance.

What I find strange is that if players are interested in playing for a team but a deal doesn't go through, why don't more of them go back to the club without the agent? Heck, why don't they go back after a deal has been agreed in principal and get some of the agents fee for themselves? May as well considering how corrupt they are!

What I find strange is that if players are interested in playing for a team but a deal doesn't go through, why don't more of them go back to the club without the agent? Heck, why don't they go back after a deal has been agreed in principal and get some of the agents fee for themselves? May as well considering how corrupt they are!

Probably depends on the contract the player has with the agent

Though i agree that if an agent can stop a player moving against his will then the system is badly broken

But if a fixed fee existed and another club found a way around it wouldn't a greedy agent push for that deal instead?

I don't think it's specifically tied to the fee, they could negotiate their fee outside of the players contract terms for instance.

If all agents were paid a fixed fee for any and all dealings then there would be no incentive for them to go just for the more expensive option.

If all agents were paid a fixed fee for any and all dealings then there would be no incentive for them to go just for the more expensive option.

There's always a loophole. Club to agent: and how about we increase the players fee... you can convince him to give it to you. How about we give you a new car, we put you on our books as a freelance consultant... bla bla bla.

you just can't stop it, they will always find a way around it.

Maybe the time has come for clubs to get together and hammer out a small number of set contracts, which would be made legally enforcable  on BOTH club and player. Were these to be legally perused by independent lawyers before being used, there would be no argument as to their validity.

As for clubs paying agents fees, I thought the days of 'brown envelope' deals were now illegal. If any player wants to use an agent in order to achieve contract B rather than contact A (more lucrative) then the fee should not be paid by the club but the player. If a club wants to contact a player, this should be done through the 'selling' club who would then expect the 'buying' cub to be responsible for the agent's fees.