Zayatte

Had a bad game and Vokes dominated him.

However he is a significant improvement on Llera and he showed that last week at QPR against some classy players like Andy Johnson, Charlie Austin and Zamora.

Quick, right footed, good on the ball, solid defender.

Him and Gardner will be (correctly) our first choice pairing this season. It's probably the only area of the team I feel truly comfortable with tbh.

Based on 1 game?

Come on jowl I thought you were better than that.

One game I've seen. All the reports I've had from the other 2 were the same. It's still early days if course - but not sure why we needed to change that department over the glaring problem of midfield

One game I've seen. All the reports I've had from the other 2 were the same. It's still early days if course - but not sure why we needed to change that department over the glaring problem of midfield

He played well at QPR so your report is wrong, and to be fair he dealed with Rotherham the best he could with absolutely no help.

Withregard to Nuhiu, it's difficult to jump high with one man immediately in front of you, and one immediately behind with his hands on your shoulders all the time. Once Burnley spotted that we were playing a long ball into the air to him EVERY TIME, this is what they, and any other team we play, will do.  

Withregard to Nuhiu, it's difficult to jump high with one man immediately in front of you, and one immediately behind with his hands on your shoulders all the time. Once Burnley spotted that we were playing a long ball into the air to him EVERY TIME, this is what they, and any other team we play, will do.

This. And of course we have no other way of playing, no plan b. Other managers must love playing us, our tactics are always so transparent.

How can you not see the QPR game it was televised, streamed and available for download, thought you were the tech guru ;)

Guest aj_owl

Burnley completely targeted him in the air. Never won a header all day don't see him being the way forward but have to give him time I guess.

How can you not see the QPR game it was televised, streamed and available for download, thought you were the tech guru ;)

Spending quality time with the kids!

I worry about Zagatte's height too but if he's good enough he'll overcome that.

The point stands that it was an area not in desperate need of changing. The midfield is.

Has he won a header for us yet?

Baffled as to why Llera isn't back in the team.

As proved so many times last season Llera is a liability. As proved at Rotherham and Yesterday, Zayatte is also a liability, but he's a faster, more mobile liability.

Has he won a header for us yet?

Baffled as to why Llera isn't back in the team.

As proved so many times last season Llera is a liability. As proved at Rotherham and Yesterday, Zayatte is also a liability, but he's a faster, more mobile liability.

Had a bad game and Vokes dominated him.

However he is a significant improvement on Llera and he showed that last week at QPR against some classy players like Andy Johnson, Charlie Austin and Zamora.

Quick, right footed, good on the ball, solid defender.

Him and Gardner will be (correctly) our first choice pairing this season. It's probably the only area of the team I feel truly comfortable with tbh.

This. He was fantastic last week.

Spending quality time with the kids!

I worry about Zagatte's height too but if he's good enough he'll overcome that.

The point stands that it was an area not in desperate need of changing. The midfield is.

I think it did need changing. I love Llera as much as the next Wednesday fan, but his form in the second half of last season was an exception for him and he generally hasn't been up to this level in his career. At his age there is every chance he won't carry that form on and we needed to bring someone else in.

I think Zayatte will prove it is the right decision.

Was CB really a priority if the budget is so tight?

Gardner and Llera have their limitatons but as a partnership they were one of the better parts of the team last season...certainly a better two then than the CM pairing or the CF pairing. And with Taylor, Buxton and Reda, who were all signed as CB, the team was hardly short of cover.

Hmmm.

While there are some merits to keeping a settled centre-half pairing, the manner in which Gardener and Zayatte were dominated in the air is concerning.

Say what you will about Llera (he is slightly error prone but the criticism of him on here at times is overboard), but aerially he's the best of the centre-halves at the club (plus he offers a threat going forward). It could be a case of doing a proper scouting job on the opposition, determining where most of their chances come from and picking the defence accordingly. Against those who create a lot from crosses/set-pieces, start with Llera. Aginst teams which rely mainly on clever movement and passing in open play, go with Zayatte.