Dave Jones on Saturday....

Dave Jones admits that the Owls are under pressure to bag their first win of the season when they face Burnley at Hillsborough.

But he also believes that the pressure to obtain results is ever-present.

The Owls manager does not want a below-par performance at Rotherham to overshadow all the work done in pre-season or the promising show at QPR.

He says: “We’ve got an opportunity to play in front of our home crowd. It puts us under a bit of pressure to perform as we did at QPR.

“We know we’re better than the performance we produced at Rotherham

“The pressure is always on - even when you’ve played 20 games. We have to make sure that all the hard work we have been doing is not undone because of one game where we didn’t play well.

“Because it’s such a big club with a big fan base, whe you lose the clouds appear and when you win they disappear.

“We have to show consistently the form that we showed in the second half of last season.

“I hope we can get as many people as possible into the place. They’re vital to us.

“I want the players to realise that there is nothing better than playing in front of a big crowd who are right behind us.” Jones appreciated the backing given to the team by sell-out followings at QPR and Rotherhan.

“We have to make sure we give them something to cheer. We want points on the board as quickly as possible.”

Sam Vokes has taken over from the prolific Charlie Austin in the Burnley attack: “He (Austin) doesn’t seem to have been missed - they scored four the other night,” said Jones.

Owlstalk Shop

I just hope we actually have a go at them.

Fine doing the counter attack, backing off thing away from home - but at Hillsborough we need to be imposing ourselves on teams.

Hopefully not a repeat of last year's display against Burnley at new years.

Edited by SiJ

I actually think Jones needs to just aim for a clean sheet and play relatively defensively on Saturday.  The back four have looked a bit all over the place so far, not helped by the midfield.

I'd take a 0-0 and a more confident back 4 and build from there.

Well Hillsborough at home on first home game of season is definitely the right time and place for that.

Our patient fans would appreciate it im sure

True but the management and players need to rise above that.

We were battered at home by Burnley last year - to go all out against them with a back 4 who haven't clicked yet would be madness.  Clearly if we go 1 down, or are 0-0 and Burnley tire a bit, change it and fire it up a bit.  But we need a clean sheet.

what's the point in playing extremely defensive in matches to try and get a makeshift back four to gel?

Our main fullbacks our out, we'd have to go through the same crap when they came back in and any time anyone got injured.

I couldn't give a crap if we went the entire season without a clean sheet as long as we were doing well.

Guest dunellaowl

We should get behind the lads 100% until the first pass goes astray then turn on them with boos and insulting chants........

Seriously get behind em tomorrow, got a feeling we might surprise burnley, 3-0 win to the blue and wizards!!

I actually think Jones needs to just aim for a clean sheet and play relatively defensively on Saturday.  The back four have looked a bit all over the place so far, not helped by the midfield.

Not helped by all our four full backs being injured more like

I actually think Jones needs to just aim for a clean sheet and play relatively defensively on Saturday. The back four have looked a bit all over the place so far, not helped by the midfield.

I'd be happy with that, in our current state

Obviously the happy clappers won't ... Until it actually happens, then by definition, they will