Cheer up you miserable sods

I fully expect to get negged into the ground for this but there's about 10 posters on here doing about 50% of the posting and all being about as negative as you can get. It's 4 days to the start of a new season.Can we at least try and look forward to it?

The thing that gets me is that there's something a bit odd in the minds of some football fans recently in that they really really want their clubs to spend money that they haven't got. I can appreciate wanting ambition but some fans seem to moan if their club isn't getting itself into debt. Last season people were saying we'd brought in too many players, this year it's not enough. Never happy some people. 

For the 2nd half of last season we were fantastic, maybe not attractive, but effective and that's what kept us up when we looked dead and buried with 6 months to go.

This summer we needed a striker, we've signed one. We needed a left sided midfielder, we've signed one. We needed cover for Antonio and JJ with their injuries, we've signed Maghoma.

In my opinion the last 3 positions we need cover for are CB (Zayatte in talks), possibly a CF if you don't rate Madine and Maguire and some creativity in midfield if you don't think McCabe, Corry and Palmer are up to the job. All about opinions and you'll get the full range on here.

But this is what gets me about the negativity about signings, if you look at the overall squad without loans compared to last year's squad without loans is up by Nuhui, Helan and Maghoma and possibly Zayatte come Saturday and we've not lost anyone that made a real contribution last season from our own squad. Yes we had loan players but we can have loan players again this year too if we need them.

We've not lost any strength from our team because we've not sold or released anyone really and we've signed 3 promising players and brought back Palmer who looks up for it.

If we loan a CM and striker once the Premier league squads are out we will have a much better team than last year and we've barely spent a penny. Surely that's better than having a better team but having spent a fortune?

Guest GrahamHydeFanClub

You'll get called a happy clapper for this.

I prefer the word 'realist' myself.

Some people are beyond education and to be quite honest I wish they would all stay in the pub.

UTO!

Guest Deleted member

With the likes of Big Guns and The Realist you'll never get anything other than negative because they think its funny. Don't let it get to you

Guest owl1983-

Its only a small minority thankfully. I'm feeling positive about this new season. I think 12th would be a success.

I think the biggest problem for some fans is that they're not really cut out for being a fan in the first place.

You're pretty much powerless to influence anything at all, and they really struggle to come to terms with this.

Hence the affected gloom and negativity from some; it's as though being a merchant of doom empowers them.

Edited by edwardjameswells

I think the realists on here, including me, have been putting the same sort of opinion across all summer for someone (Big Buns) to shoot you down saying we need to spend money we havent got to get to the prem NOW! 

I just think some people havent got a clue about business and they can have opinions, they just dont matter.

There's no reason with the squad we've got plus the inevitable 5/6 loans we will get in the next 4/5 weeks, we will have a great opportunity of the playoffs. It might all go to pot, like it did for Blackburn/Wolves etc last year, but you've got to be optimistic otherwise what do you have to look forward to?

A well reasoned argument but, do we just want to mirror last seasons achievement. Is staying in the division while producing the sort of turgid performances we saw last year enough?

We we're on our arse 3 years ago with no youth set up and no future. If we can tread water with counter-attacking football whilst we improve behind the scenes and in the youth area I'll be happy

People are frustrated as I think they got over excited after promotion - assuming it was the start of an imminent rise to the top.

I don't care how people gloss it but the squad as it stands isn't going to do anything this year and will most likely struggle.

It's just whether or not you can accept that or not - some people can't and go off on one.

Wow great post that actually makes sense and one that I can reply to. Some good points made here , I am a little worried about the lack of a goalscorer though and that is a must for me. I assume he has one lined up on a loan deal, he must have. I can't imagine he will go into the season with no out and out scorer as not sure the big lad will deliver 20 odd a season. Hopefully Lita will be that man or I'd take a billy sharp type.

Guest WEBOWL

Well said

I am looking forward to the season and hope we build for midtable

Sorry if that is not enough for some, but suits me

People are frustrated as I think they got over excited after promotion - assuming it was the start of an imminent rise to the top.

I don't care how people gloss it but the squad as it stands isn't going to do anything this year and will most likely struggle.

It's just whether or not you can accept that or not - some people can't and go off on one.

I don't know why people say this as if it is an irrefutable fact. The squad isn't very much different to the one that produce promotion form in the second half of last season.

Lita, Olo, Pugh, Howard - out.  Maghoma, Nuhiu, Floro in.

Clearly we want/need more but we are not far off.