Incredible atmosphere

"We're up to our knees in Fenian blood - surrender or you'll die"

Those who think this is fine/banter/acceptable, I'd be interested to know how thousands singing "we're up to our knees in British blood" would sit with you.

Hello hello we are the Wednesday boys, and if you are united then surrender or you'll die, we all follow the Wednesday.

Those are roughly the words aren't they?

Or is it the Fenian blood bit? Where is the line drawn?

Guest Big Guns

Keep St George in my heart keep me English

Keep St George in my heart i pray

Keep St George in my heart keep me English

Keep me English Till my dying day

No surrender NO surrender NO surrender to the IRA

nothing up with that at all a patriotic English song

Can I ask do Rangers home games have the same kind of atmosphere?

I know the Old Firm games have a charged atmosphere but what kind of atmosphere is they at Iborx when they play Aberdeen or Partick Thistle?

Bit like us really mate. Great away but like a morgue at home except for a corner of the ground were the Union Bears stand.

Guest FanthamOfTheOpera

Celtic seem fine enough singing 'paddy Mccourts fenian army'

Sorry, I'm not sure what part of that makes "up to our knees in Fenian blood" acceptable?

I don't find the word itself particularly offensive, personally. I do find the idea of murdering entire races or religions pretty unpleasant, though. Which is kind of the point.

Some black people use the n-word as a colloquialism, does that mean singing "up our knees in n*ggers blood" would be fine?

Sorry, I'm not sure what part of that makes "up to our knees in Fenian blood" acceptable?

I don't find the word itself particularly offensive, personally. I do find the idea of murdering entire races or religions pretty unpleasant, though. Which is kind of the point.

Some black people use the n-word as a colloquialism, does that mean singing "up our knees in n*ggers blood" would be fine?

Is it not double standards for the Celtic support to go running to the powers that be because Rangers sing a song with a word that so offends them, but then go and sing a number of songs that label themselves fenians? The song is banned in Scotland anyway.

Rangers have done/ been forced  to change their song book and now have a lot of Euro/Ultra style chants as witnessed yesterday. Cant say the same for Celtic, its huge double standards.

Guest james.taylor1982

"We're up to our knees in Fenian blood - surrender or you'll die"

Those who think this is fine/banter/acceptable, I'd be interested to know how thousands singing "we're up to our knees in British blood" would sit with you.

Singing about dead British soldiers ??? Does that sit well with you does it ??

Guest FanthamOfTheOpera

So where is the line drawn when it comes to songs?

There obviously isn't a black-and-white quick answer to this question and I'm surprised you're expecting one. Although I'm equally surprised nobody seems to find the aforementioned song offensive. In this particular case it seems like common sense / human decency should lead you to that conclusion.

Is it not double standards for the Celtic support to go running to the powers that be because Rangers sing a song with a word that so offends them, but then go and sing a number of songs that label themselves fenians? 

I've already explained my stance on this, but I'll try again :

I don't find the word "Fenian" particularly offensive.

I do find the idea of murdering Fenians a tad off.

Your logic seems to suggest that, because the words "Catholic" or "Irish" aren't offensive in and of themselves, chanting "we're up to our knees in Catholic blood" or "we're up to our knees in Irish blood" would be totally acceptable.

Would have thought that the '10 German Bombers' song was a throw back to WW2. Parts of Scotland as well as England suffered from the efforts of the Lufftwaffe, unlike the Irish, who chose to remain 'neutral' while our lads braved the Atlantic Convoys severely handicapped.

If the Scots wish to remain 'British' who is to blame them? And if they choose to sing 'patriotic songs' who's to blame them. The Irish are not unknown for being exactly 'English friendly' except when they're over here taking our cash and jobs.  

Guest FanthamOfTheOpera

Singing about dead British soldiers ??? Does that sit well with you does it ??

When did I say it did?

There obviously isn't a black-and-white quick answer to this question and I'm surprised you're expecting one. Although I'm equally surprised nobody seems to find the aforementioned song offensive. In this particular case it seems like common sense / human decency should lead you to that conclusion.

Your logic seems to suggest that, because the words "Catholic" or "Irish" aren't offensive in and of themselves, chanting "we're up to our knees in Catholic blood" or "we're up to our knees in Irish blood" would be totally acceptable.

So its murdering people and death that is the line then? I agree, that's going too far. Just like Celtic singing about Lee Rigby was going too far. Seems to me all clubs have distasteful songs including ourselves.

If you are of a sensitive nature its probably best not to analyse football chants so deeply.

If a song at a football match upsets you so much then just ignore it, other wise you will end up leaving the ground each week trembling and in tears.

Guest Tomboss

an irish warrior to be more precise

no idea why people think its offensive

bit like dingles calling us dee dars

Guest FanthamOfTheOpera

So its murdering people and death that is the line then? I agree, that's going too far. Just like Celtic singing about Lee Rigby was going too far. Seems to me all clubs have distasteful songs including ourselves.

Ugh, why does it always come back to the playground "OH BUT CELTIC DO IT AS WELL!!!!" thing? We're talking about Rangers specifically and about what was sung at our ground yesterday. There are plenty of anti-Celtic threads on here including a lengthy one specifically about the Lee Rigby song rumour.

Wednesday do not collectively sing anything that comes close to Billy Boys, as well you know. Using "if you're a United fan surrender or you'll die" as comparison is nonsensical - as far as I'm aware there isn't a violent historical context of bombings, shootings, murder and sectarianism between Wednesday and United? A quick punch-up outside Champs doesn't quite compare.

Guest FanthamOfTheOpera

If you are of a sensitive nature its probably best not to analyse football chants so deeply.

If a song at a football match upsets you so much then just ignore it, other wise you will end up leaving the ground each week trembling and in tears.

So, to clarify, no song ever sung at a football match has ever offended you?

"Dave Jones is a paedophile", stuff about Leeds fans being stabbed, the Munich air disaster, the Ibrox disaster, the Bradford fire - all cool? Anyone who takes offensive is a sensitive mard?