Bartercard Deal

Sheffield Wednesday has unveiled an innovative new sponsorship deal, announcing the UK’s largest business-to-business trade exchange, Bartercard, as its official away shirt sponsor.

Bartercard’s unique and novel product is an alternative source of business finance aimed primarily at Small Medium Enterprises – a massively important sector that is finding the securing of funds via banks increasingly difficult.

As an alternative to the traditional cash sponsorship deal, the Championship club will be sponsored in “trade pounds”.  These trade pounds will to be used within the Bartercard Exchange to help Sheffield Wednesday to pay its day-to-day business expenses, including, accommodation, payroll, solicitors, accountants, training, marketing, printing and promotional merchandise.

“We’re very glad to unveil Bartercard as our official away shirt sponsor. The company has a long tradition of enabling businesses to grow and preserve cash resources and its sponsorship will prove valuable in covering our running expenses,” says Sheffield Wednesday Commercial Director Andy Daikin.

“Everyone at Bartercard is proud to be associated with one of the world’s oldest professional football clubs. We believe the association will prove fruitful for both parties and are looking forward to an exciting season,” said Bartercard York Franchise Owner Chris Kirby.

-----

Would be interesting to see the eventual impact of this sponsorship on the P&L

Also, didn't realise it was only the away shirt

Edited by McRightSide

I would be interested to see if this is a deal that we took because nobody wanted to pay to sponsor an away shirt in actual pounds, or if the club really believe that they can save enough on back ground monies to make this a great idea. When we were part of barter card we put our prices up 300% when trading in Barter Pounds to make it worth while.

Nope.

So tax is payed on all " Bartercard credits" that can be used with all the participating companies ? I don't see how if no money changes hands, if all parties involved offer there services to each other for credits instead of charging .

So tax is payed on all " Bartercard credits" that can be used with all the participating companies ? I don't see how if no money changes hands, if all parties involved offer there services to each other for credits instead of charging .

Done a bit of research.   It was a form of tax avoidance, but no longer can be - I was wrong in my first assumption but right in as much as I instantly got why it was invented in the first place.   

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/731669

Edited by salmonbones

It wont as such, but it will decrease expediture.....which is much the same thing.

Isn't it just our expenditure on salaries that are taken into account.

I'm trying to work out how this benefits the club over a cash deal and I can't

(But I'm not trying that hard)

I noticed Donny are also with Bartercard

..who cares...given MM's business acumen and the fact it isn't some crappy third rate business or loan company I think it's a good move. Well done SWFC once again... and I like the fact we can have different sponsors on home/away shirts ... we're Wednesday..we're different...

Obviously the club feel signing up a sponsor in this way it's more beneficial to the club than a lump some of cash, I'm not so sure.

I trust they know what they are doing

But it did seem a little strange the quote on the Bartercard site and the OS were the same - apart from our OS excluded the bit about it not being a cash deal...