Dee dars

there's not much difference between the inbreds accent and the sheffield accent, but to be fair the worst accent by far In south yorkshires the mexborough/conisbrough/denaby/doncaster accent, its horrible, its a lazy accent and so chavvy, makes me cringe as I hear it all the time as I live In that area, its more the young ones to be fair, they think theyre all gangsta innit.... :biggrin:

oooohhhhhh....its only coz tha one of me faves that tha dint gerra neggin .

Guest massiveclubweare

thitty or fotty yard up't ruod.

A dunt nar.

What does 'Lakin' mean?

I honestly love a Tarn accent, it's like a completely different language.

laikin,is an old norse word meaning to play

Having spent today in Barnsley I thought I'd revisit this topic - why on Earth, of all the things they could pick, do Barnsley fans chide us over our ACCENT?

The bit of our dialect they choose to pick up on is the tendency of Sheffielders to pronounce thee as dee, and tha as dar.

First of all, I have NEVER noticed Sheffielders pronunce words beginning with 'th' with 'd'.

Secondly, I very rarely hear Sheffielders choose to use the words 'thee' and 'tha' instead of 'you' and 'your' - but I have heard them all day in Barnsley.

I'm not having a go at Barnsley fans for giving us a bit of banter (ugh) - just wondering why the banter they choose to go with is more befitting of themselves than us? Do they realise what they're doing? Or is it done ironically?

Frankly, my ears have been insulted today.

they are non too smart...

Funny that. 

I was in Sheffield the other day and met a Wednesday mate of mine for a pint and the first thing he said was "nar den, how tha doing?". 

I do agree with the sentiment of the OP, though. The deedar thing (the chant especially) is a bit sad. Usually the bairns that sing it, mind. 

But as already pointed out, it's only as ironic as the home of the Sheffield Fritzl calling us inbreds/dingles.

Generalising a city of over 1m population from one man.

Dinglenomics.