Dee dars

There are areas of Sheffield where some folks greet you with "nar den dee, arr dar gooin on den?"

However, there are also places in our fabulous city where people also say "hello there, how the devil are you?"

Finally, I've also visited city suburbs where you're met with "what thar looking at stinky flaps? Al smash thi fvckin face in".

Basically therefore, Barnsley folk shouldn't tar all us good Sheffield folk with the same brush.

Guest tazz070299

I deffo don't sound like a dee dar and I deffo don't sound like a dingle.

Need a new term for people with my High Green accent.

lobbers.  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Funny that. 

I was in Sheffield the other day and met a Wednesday mate of mine for a pint and the first thing he said was "nar den, how tha doing?". 

Maybe he was under the impression you're called Dennis?  I bet you didn't correct him and left him calling you "Den" for the rest of the conversation

"Still watchin' that shower at Oakwell, Den?"; "What's tha think o' O'Grady, Den?";...awkward!

thee n thaa comes from big groups of blokes working together dahn 'pits n in't steel works around Stocksbridge, North Sheffield, Barnsley & into Rotherham. The Dearne Valley more or less. So if you stick a pin in Hoyland and work out from there, you'll probably not be far wrong.

Basically there are more "dee-dars" in Chapeltown than Totley, in Worsborough than Darton and in Rawmarsh than Wickersley.

Which is probably why, despite the fact that the vast majority in both Barnsley and Sheffield DON'T say dee n dar, both sets of folk think that it comes from the direction of the other town/city.

Edited by George Whitebread

there's not much difference between the inbreds accent and the sheffield accent, but to be fair the worst accent by far In south yorkshires the mexborough/conisbrough/denaby/doncaster accent, its horrible, its a lazy accent and so chavvy, makes me cringe as I hear it all the time as I live In that area, its more the young ones to be fair, they think theyre all gangsta innit.... :biggrin:

The Mexborough/Denaby/Conisbrough accent is more similar to a Barnsley accent than central Doncaster