Ogrady wants to stay

Guest Bri The owl

Chris O’Grady is happy to stay at Sheffield Wednesday - if he is wanted, writes Neil Goulding.

The Owls hitman has a year left to run on his three-year deal at Hillsborough.

But Championship rivals Barnsley have already had a bid turned down for the player – and are understood to be poised to close in on their target.

It is believed that the Reds gave a verbal assurance to the Owls about making an improved offer for a player who cost their South Yorkshire rivals £350,000 from Rochdale.

However, indications from Hillsborough are that Wednesday have yet to receive a formal second bid for the striker.

O’Grady told The Star: “If I’m wanted at Sheffield Wednesday then that’s great, I’m more than happy to stay if I’m given a chance.

“I just want to play regular football and build on the momentum I got last season playing for Barnsley.

“I want to kick on now and, if my future lies at Sheffield Wednesday then I’ll give 100 per cent, like I do in every game.

“I’m capable of playing in the Championship. I’ve shown what I’m capable of even though I did initially find it a big jump going from League One.

“I was in and out of the team at Sheffield Wednesday last season and things unfortunately stalled, but as far as I know I’m due back in for pre-season training on June 24.

“At the end of the day my allegiance is to whoever wants me. I’m a Sheffield Wednesday player and I’ve got a year left on my contract, so if they want me I’ll happily play and give my all.”

O’Grady impressed on loan at Barnsley last season having been signed in the January transfer window until the end of the campaign.

His six goals and some battling performances up front were a key factor in the Reds avoiding relegation.

“I really enjoyed playing for Barnsley last season, it was great,” O’Grady told The Star.

“They’re a great bunch of lads and they’ve got a great manager [David Flitcroft].

“But I’ve just switched off for the moment to be honest. I’m just enjoying some time off on holiday and then when I come back we’ll have to see what happens.”

A high-ranking source at Oakwell suggested that a potential deal was closer after the transfer fee was verbally discussed.

The Reds are also chasing former Sheffield United striker Jon Stead and Motherwell marksman Michael Higdon.

Owlstalk Shop

Don't think ogrady or madine are good enough unless we are settling for a relegation battle, though of the two I would choose ogrady as he has a far better attitude and work rate and does not think he is better than he is, whereas I think madine either dumps his attitude and agent and works hard, or his Wednesday / championship journey is over.

For those saying he's not good enough - he scored 6 goals in 16 appearances for one of the worst teams in the division when played regularly. That equates to 17 goals over the course of a season. Plus he created quite a few more goals for them.

I'd like to see him given another chance, but it seems like it's only a matter of time before he's moved on.

I don't know why everybody slates COG. He always gave his all and scored some important goals for us in his time here. Then for some reason DJ froze him out after just scoring against Barnsley. He's obviously going to say good things about Barnsley if they are showing that they really want him

Guest Fedor

For those saying he's not good enough - he scored 6 goals in 16 appearances for one of the worst teams in the division when played regularly. That equates to 17 goals over the course of a season. Plus he created quite a few more goals for them.

I'd like to see him given another chance, but it seems like it's only a matter of time before he's moved on.

Totally agree with this. Most people have this perception that COG is just a big lump who is only good for hoofball teams. The facts are COG plays much better in teams that play football as demonstrated by his early season form with us when we tried playing it on the deck , also his form at Barnsley who play it mainly on the deck. There are also the Madine fanboys who hate the fact that their Gary is not good enough for Championship football and the "big lump" has proved he is.

Edited by Fedor

Guest Johnbloodaxe

He'd score 10-12 goals minimum a season for us and provide a good foil for a goal poacher...  can hold the ball up well and lays off some good passes...

So a proven number 10 in this division and as part of a poor team who were fighting relegation.. so why do you not think he;s good enough??

Was scoring 1 in 2 or 3 for the dingles...  where was our striker that was doing that? and it's no gamble, bringing any new striker in would always be a gamble e.g. Bothroyd...

Edited by Johnbloodaxe

Guest On Fire

No matter how much you all strangely love him there's no point having a player who the manager doesn't want

We need to clear the decks and get some quality in

Anyone knocking the guy is mad, all he wants to do is play football, he was not getting his chance with us even though he was our top scorer without hardly getting game time, he went to the 6 fingered freaks and did a good job for them.

Ok he isnt the most graceful player in the world but he does a job and fair play to him wherever he goes at least he doesnt sit on the bench sulking or stealing a wage, when he gets on he works hard to prove he should be on the field.

Guest Vic Rattlehead

I seriously doubt you could afford much (any?) better than O'Grady but keep dreaming lads.

Live in the past or imagine a future that doesn't exist. Better than living in the present. It's the Owlsmen way.