Jump to content
Guest dunellaowl

paul warhurst!

Recommended Posts

I loved him. He was my favourite player and I was absolutely gutted when he went to Blackburn. 

 

I didn't know anything about his attitude or antics. That game against Blackburn was immense. Also Spora Luxembourg. I left that game in tears because I thought he was dead. 

 

When I got home, I was straight on Ceefax, relieved to find he was unconscious in hospital, not dead. 

 

Ceefax

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/03/2020 at 22:26, sexpistol said:

I’m sure he signed a new contract after the 92/93 season. Him and Hirst started the 93/94 season and I think everybody thought they would score goals for fun. Sadly the partnership didn’t work and he left for Blackburn after about 4 games. He broke his leg and wasn’t the same player and Hirst was never the same player after the 92/93 Season.

Think Bright was angling for a place as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/03/2020 at 22:37, Rogers said:


I think the rest of the squad and manager might have been a bit pissed off with him

Maybe but with Waddle feeding him through balls, he had great pace and good finishing, in both areas better than Bright and Hirst, both keen on passing their opinions, one ageing, the other slowing down and never very good at self discipline in keeping himself fit even though no fault of his own crocked by Steve Bould and other vicious defenders.

Warhurst had been absolutely brillant the previous season. He was the future. 

He was rumoured to have personal problems with other players but who knows? Waddle/ Warhurst combo shown in match vs Derby on MOTD last Sunday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Maybe but with Waddle feeding him through balls, he had great pace and good finishing, in both areas better than Bright and Hirst, both keen on passing their opinions, one ageing, the other slowing down and never very good at self discipline in keeping himself fit even though no fault of his own crocked by Steve Bould and other vicious defenders.

Warhurst had been absolutely brillant the previous season. He was the future. 

He was rumoured to have personal problems with other players but who knows? Waddle/ Warhurst combo shown in match vs Derby on MOTD last Sunday. 

it just goes to prove that 'the ammunition loader' has to be talented (often swift, skilful, or both) to allow the forwards to do their job.

taking all day to get down the field with the ball, snookers your own forward line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forced Palmer to drop back into defence in the final, whose legs we consequently lost in midfield.

 

Pitted Palmer against Wright.

 

Selfish.

 

Got a whiff of Uncle Jack's money, and followed the scent.

 

As someone earlier wrote, a modern footballer thirty years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Forced Palmer to drop back into defence in the final, whose legs we consequently lost in midfield.

 

Pitted Palmer against Wright.

 

Selfish.

 

Got a whiff of Uncle Jack's money, and followed the scent.

 

As someone earlier wrote, a modern footballer thirty years ago.


there was no one else to play in defence for the replay, Palmer had played there previously it was the only option, not sure warhurst can be blamed for where Palmer played 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Dexter Morgan said:


there was no one else to play in defence for the replay, Palmer had played there previously it was the only option, not sure warhurst can be blamed for where Palmer played 

 

Pearson, Shirtliff and Anderson were all injured. Next up were youngsters Simon Stewart or Julian Watts with only a handful of appearances between them (and those were only due to first-teamers being rested during the fixture build up at the time). Could hardly play those in a cup final up against the likes of Wright and Merson. It's pretty shameful if Warhurst reacted the way he was reported to have, but Francis had little realistic option than to play the pair he did. If Palmer could have played in midfield, it might have made all the difference.

 

 

Edited by DJMortimer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/05/2013 at 23:24, BirdonaMaguire said:

He was no David Hirst.

 No, he was Paul Warhurst. 

Gave us all some great memories. I was at Blackburn when he made a useful Blackburn defence look like our current back line.

His movement and finishing in that period was second to none.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...