paul warhurst!

Guest dunellaowl

2 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

The fact that he refused to play in a fa cup final says it all...Guess he will regret that all his life...not sure how you would explain that to your kids!

I always wonder whether or not that story has been exaggerated. It could have been Warhurst saying I don’t want to play in defence ( which is bad enough) which is a bit different to him point blank refusing to play. He ultimately did play in the cup final and replay and played well in both games.

Had it on good authority at the time that he used to turn up for training in his kit.....get out of the car and train and then straight back in the car, still in his kit and drive home...no interaction with the squad at all

6 minutes ago, Ian said:

Had it on good authority at the time that he used to turn up for training in his kit.....get out of the car and train and then straight back in the car, still in his kit and drive home...no interaction with the squad at all

He always seemed popular on the pitch when he scored etc. 
I heard that he was a quiet lad. I do think the alleged cup final story taints his time at Wednesday, yet after Waddle he was our most impactful player that season. 

On 01/06/2013 at 18:02, kernowl said:

Dalglish bought him after watching him rip a new arse out of the Blackburn defence in the Rumbelows semi-final....and strangely never played him as a striker.

Always thought we were a bit harsh on him on here...you got to ask yourself how you would react if your goals got the team to Wembley and then you were told to play in defence because an injured player had recovered (Hirsty). Yes, the team is the most important and he did play after his team-mates talked him round. What surprised me is that the club (or Francis) leaked the story to the press.

Hirsty was never the same striker after his injury and I think Warhurst could have gone on to much greater things.

We were short of a centre back and he refused to fill in 

On 31/05/2013 at 22:25, dunellaowl said:

Whats your views on him?

Ive just watched some old 90's season review tapes and i think hes up there with the best players we have had shithot defender shithot striker wednesday legend imo!!

absolutely brilliant 

should never have sold him 

would have been a legend at this club

one of my favourite all time players 

2 hours ago, sexpistol said:

I always wonder whether or not that story has been exaggerated. It could have been Warhurst saying I don’t want to play in defence ( which is bad enough) which is a bit different to him point blank refusing to play. He ultimately did play in the cup final and replay and played well in both games.

it was that he didn’t want to play in defence 

Carlton Palmer was on a phone in on radio Sheffield and I rang in to ask him that very question 

he refused to play in defence 

we then recieved very high offers in the summer for him which were rejected 

he signed a new contract and started up front with hirst 

we failed to score in the first 4 games with those two 

hirst got injuried and then the Blackburn offer was accepted 

bright and Bart Williams then went up front and bright scored our first goal of the season in a 1-1 draw at Chelsea 

I had Warhurst 7 on my brand new shirt 

was absolutely gutted 

also 

I had Petrescu 5 on also when he joined, he left shortly after 

typical 

7 hours ago, sexpistol said:

I heard that he was a quiet lad. I do think the alleged cup final story taints his time at Wednesday, yet after Waddle he was our most impactful player that season. 

Check out his league goals 

Virtually zilch 

52 minutes ago, the monk said:

Check out his league goals 

Virtually zilch 

That’s irrelevant, we made our impact in the cups that season ( when they meant a lot more) and his goals got us where we were.

For a time he was the best striker in the country.

Edited by sexpistol

8 hours ago, sexpistol said:

I watched a few matches on YouTube last night from that era. Agreed he seemed very popular with the other players and it looked a very happy squad

93/94 Warhurst and hirst didnt work but that was mainly because waddle was injured imo and waddle couldnt recapture his pfa winning 1st season after that, hirst had had too many injuries by then too.

Waddle set up most of warhurst goals, warhurst ran quick, lost his old school cb, waddle slotted him in, composed finishes, simple as it gets.

Went to blackburn and looked immense as box to box cm, remember hanson analyzing him on motd but got a bad injury and that was him done.

He could play anywhere especially centrally as he had technique, intelligence and pace, but cb probably least good position unless against pace and not target man.

With the disappointment of hirsts injuries it was suddenly exciting again, like we had our own hand made replacement even though he was a cb!, when waddle played to use him properly anyway.

Waddle, hirst and warhurst all brilliant memories but a real shame they were shorter lived than they could have been imo

Edited by Ash77

6 hours ago, sexpistol said:

That’s irrelevant, we made our impact in the cups that season ( when they meant a lot more) and his goals got us where we were.

For a time he was the best striker in the country.

Might have made an impact in the league with some goals 

But splitting hairs I suppose , heady times ,who would have thought wed go 20 years out of the top flight !

Any joy supporting this club has to be paid for big time in misery 

Always thought Warhurst as striker was an interesting experiment that worked for a while, but I couldn’t see it lasting.  I preferred him in defence, where his pace could get him out of trouble when necessary.  Reckon he would have made a good footballing centre back in the modern game.

12 hours ago, Dexter Morgan said:

it was that he didn’t want to play in defence 

Carlton Palmer was on a phone in on radio Sheffield and I rang in to ask him that very question 

he refused to play in defence 

we then recieved very high offers in the summer for him which were rejected 

he signed a new contract and started up front with hirst 

we failed to score in the first 4 games with those two 

hirst got injuried and then the Blackburn offer was accepted 

bright and Bart Williams then went up front and bright scored our first goal of the season in a 1-1 draw at Chelsea 

I had Warhurst 7 on my brand new shirt 

was absolutely gutted 

also 

I had Petrescu 5 on also when he joined, he left shortly after 

typical 

why not but a 'rhodes' shirt?

• Haha 1