paul warhurst!

Guest dunellaowl

Dalglish bought him after watching him rip a new arse out of the Blackburn defence in the Rumbelows semi-final....and strangely never played him as a striker.

Always thought we were a bit harsh on him on here...you got to ask yourself how you would react if your goals got the team to Wembley and then you were told to play in defence because an injured player had recovered (Hirsty). Yes, the team is the most important and he did play after his team-mates talked him round. What surprised me is that the club (or Francis) leaked the story to the press.

Hirsty was never the same striker after his injury and I think Warhurst could have gone on to much greater things.

• Like 1

Dalglish bought him after watching him rip a new arse out of the Blackburn defence in the Rumbelows semi-final....and strangely never played him as a striker.

Always thought we were a bit harsh on him on here...you got to ask yourself how you would react if your goals got the team to Wembley and then you were told to play in defence because an injured player had recovered (Hirsty). Yes, the team is the most important and he did play after his team-mates talked him round. What surprised me is that the club (or Francis) leaked the story to the press.

Hirsty was never the same striker after his injury and I think Warhurst could have gone on to much greater things.

He wasn't asked to play at centre back just because Hirst was fit, it was because we were so desperate at that position, especially in the replay. You don't think we voluntarily took Palmer out of midfield to play there alongside him do you? As I recall, Anderson, Pearson and Shirtliff were all unavailable and we could hardly have gone with Stewart and Watts.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

He wasn't asked to play at centre back just because Hirst was fit, it was because we were so desperate at that position, especially in the replay. You don't think we voluntarily took Palmer out of midfield to play there alongside him do you? As I recall, Anderson, Pearson and Shirtliff were all unavailable and we could hardly have gone with Stewart and Watts.

Player bought as a defender asked to revert to his natural position as the team were having a defensive injury issue how dare we ask him :)

Guest nevergetpastsemedo

Can't believe he only quit football 4 years ago! Just goes to show the grass is definitely not always greener

Guest ka58

Average/decent centre half. For a window - and via a managerial master stroke by Francis - the best forward in the league for a few months.

But was never gonna be a great in either position. We did well getting that money for him at the time - just a shame hirsty never recovered.

Remember thinking at the time that Blackburn had got him at a steal for £2.75m even back then.

Anyone know the reason we decided to sell him? Was the deal too good? Had he fallen out with someone specifically? Or was it the refusal to play in the final?

Do you remember the chance he missed for Blackburn against us in a 1-1 draw? I think Graham (Julian) Hyde scored our goal.

Also, I remember playing Westfield School U13s around that time, and every time one of them did anything any good the rest of the team shouted 'YOU'RE WARHURST!' at top volume.

Not that it happened very often. If you're on here, and you played for Westfield School U13s in 1993, then you were most probably terrible. In your face.

On 03/06/2013 at 12:26, Miffed said:

Remember thinking at the time that Blackburn had got him at a steal for £2.75m even back then.

Anyone know the reason we decided to sell him? Was the deal too good? Had he fallen out with someone specifically? Or was it the refusal to play in the final?

I’m sure he signed a new contract after the 92/93 season. Him and Hirst started the 93/94 season and I think everybody thought they would score goals for fun. Sadly the partnership didn’t work and he left for Blackburn after about 4 games. He broke his leg and wasn’t the same player and Hirst was never the same player after the 92/93 Season.

• Like 1

On 03/06/2013 at 21:26, Miffed said:

I think the rest of the squad and manager might have been a bit pissed off with him

I remember my mates laughing at me one game when I said to them we should let him play up front, Tricky Trev must have seen the same as me because of course he eventually did, didn't him and Hirst start up front at West Ham away early the following season changes were made with them at half time and we lost the game, then he got sold to Blackburn, is my memory serving me correct ?

3 minutes ago, Rogers said:

I think the rest of the squad and manager might have been a bit pissed off with him

I think Francis wanted Deane and he was willing to sell Warhurst. I’m certain Warhurst signed a new contract as he had a phenomenal pre season. When the season started him and Hirsty didn’t click. I personally think in hindsight we should have kept him.