paul warhurst!

Guest dunellaowl

Guest dunellaowl

Whats your views on him?

Ive just watched some old 90's season review tapes and i think hes up there with the best players we have had shithot defender shithot striker wednesday legend imo!!

Guest wilyfox

always felt his career went downhill after leaving us; Blackburn and Bolton fans may disagree, i don't know.

As a striker yes as a centre back no.  Made too many mistakes in defence.  I think we would have been better off sticking with Pearson and Shirtliff as the centre halves for the 91/92 season with Viv and Carlton Palmer as backup.  Unless we could have signed another top centre back.  If only we could have signed Des two years earlier! 

Guest dunellaowl

His distribution from the back was immense, i always remembered him as a striker but watching him tonight he was quality all round! Think when he broke his leg he was never the same but for us flipping quality!

Guest Jabba Owl

Scored some crucial goals.

His pace got him out of any trouble when playing at the back.

Never rated him when he played in midfield which he did in his later career.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Legends don't sulk about being asked to play centre half in an FA Cup final. Selfish sod.

Guest dunellaowl

His goal against spora luxembourg was world class regardless of opponents his pace would have left any defender for dead!

His distribution from the back was immense, i always remembered him as a striker but watching him tonight he was quality all round! Think when he broke his leg he was never the same but for us flipping quality!

check out the Man U home game 91/92 season, put McClair clean through

Guest BigDave

He was no David Hirst.

To be fair our greatest protege Wayne Rooney is no David Hirst, I firmly believe and will not be swayed that Hirst was better

Absolutely poo hot at CF, an inspirational change from CB. That game at Blackburn he was unplayable...maybe because he did the unexpected and willing to have a pop when a more experienced CF might have laid it off. Always thought he was a pretty decent defender and his pace from the back was special, though he never seemed to finish his runs from there with the killer ball. Moody player though and it later came to light that he wasn't a good influence in the dressing room. I agree with earlier posts though that with a bit more application, he could have been one of the very best forwards ever. Didn't reach the hieghts that we all expected after leaving, a broken leg and his "up his own a*se" attitude probably did for him.

Classy player to be fair but had an inflated ego - what he didn't seem to appreciate was that he was made to look very good because he was playing alongside a large number of equally classy players. 

torryowl has it spot on when he says that Warhurst was ( a fore runner of todays modern player ), in the sense that it was all about him and not the team :sad: