Who is the best player you've seen, ever?

Never saw the likes of Cruyf, Zidane, Hagi, in the flesh, but I did see Best, Bobby Charlton, Bergkamp, Gazza. All great players, but Tony Currie was easily the.best from these shores in the last forty years. So under rated because he didn't play for the London clubs. Brilliant entertainer too. He played in our city too, even though for the piggies, but who cares?

Never saw the likes of Cruyf, Zidane, Hagi, in the flesh, but I did see Best, Bobby Charlton, Bergkamp, Gazza. All great players, but Tony Currie was easily the.best from these shores in the last forty years. So under rated because he didn't play for the London clubs. Brilliant entertainer too. He played in our city too, even though for the piggies, but who cares?

This has to be a wind up

Tony Currie was an excellent footballer but better than George Best ! Not a possibility

Gianfranco Zola

Absolutely tore us to shreds during Chelseas 4-1 win over us under Big Ron

One of few times have I seen the whole of Hillsborough stand and applaud when he got substituted for Tore Andre Flo

Special mentions go to Lothar Matthaus and Dennis Bergkamp.

Seconded - that was one of the very best performances I've even seen as Hillsboro. Klinsmann was pretty good too a few years before that. Over the course of as season its Di Canio for me, his combination of incredible skill, fantastic endurance and cheek. (when he wasn't getting sent off arguing over throw-ins and the like)

Away from SWFC matches the best performance i've ever seen was by Cristiano Ronaldo against Atletico Madrid - he scored a hat-trick and two of his shots just seemed to defy the laws of physics. Every time he got the ball he was so quick, his feet seem to move faster than anyone else on the field. No-one could get near him.

I rememberCarbone scoring a couple of similar goals against Forest where the ball changed direction, flight and seemed to speed up in mid air. Almost like a remote controlled rocket - the only difference being Ronaldo's shots were hit about twice as hard (and Carbone's goals weren't exactly slow).

I'm just turned 63 so I have a lot of experience to draw on. For sheer entertainment value I would have to say

John Merredith a one appearance wonder from 1961.

I never laughed so much at a Wednesday player. He got his debut on the left wing and kept falling over as he tried to cut inside. Finally he beat his man but his boot came off, he stopped to pick it up and tried to carry on....No subs then so he saw the game out, but that was his only appearance.

On a serious note the best I have ever seen live (twice) has to be Pele, I worshipped him as a kid but he has become slightly tarnished in my eyes as he is not very respectful of Lionel Messi who I have only seen on TV but stands head and shoulders above Pele.

Guest Sweet&TenderOwl

Best player I've seen live has to be Zola closely followed by Bergkamp. The best British player by far I've seen was Beardsley.

Internationally I've seen Bale turn it on and carry the team by himself, Giggs was class when he was bothered and Jonathan Williams looks like being a real star he scared the Croats out of their skins when he came on against them. The classiest Wednesday players I've ever seen have been Sheridan; Nilsson, Harkes, Hirst and Waddle in that order. Wednesday players I wish I'd seen are the likes of Dooley; Quixall, Fantham, Ron Springett and Bronco Layne in their pomp. On the world stage I wish I'd seen the likes of Di Stefano; Cruyff, Neeskens, Van Basten, Hidegkuti, Maradona, Kempes, Rivelino, Garrincha, Socrates, Stoitchkov, Zidane, Beckenbauer, Netzer, Yashin, Savicevic and Boban in the flesh in their pomp.

Edited by Sweet&TenderOwl