MICHAEL PALIN - HE'S ALL WEDNESDAY

You must be unusual in being a Sheffield United fan who watches Wednesday too? 
Well, I’ve lived in London for 35 years and I do follow the fortunes of both. It’s more a token of feelings for the city where I grew up. Sheffield people will say to me: “You’ll say ‘up the Blades’ then you’ll say you’re a Wednesday fan, what’s going on?” United were the club I supported when I was growing up, mainly because their ground was the nearest to our house. I used to see Wednesday supp­orters as a different type of person, just... deeply dis­turbed. But then I was always excited when either club was involved in a big game and Wednesday tended to be involved in bigger games. When I first came to London, it was 1966 and Wednesday were in the Cup final, so I couldn’t say I wasn’t interested because they were from my city. Eric Idle was a big Chelsea fan and I used to go there to see either Sheffield team play. I found myself being sucked in as a sort of associate Wednesday fan, though I would have been disem­boweled in Sheffield if they’d known that. 

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/100-Fan-culture/3967-call-yourself-a-football-fan--michael-palin

Q. YOU ARE A BLADE BUT YOU FLIRTED WITH WEDNESDAY. WHY?

My first affinities were with United when I was at school in Sheffield. Then
in 1965 I came to live in London and just any victory for a Sheffield team
was to be welcomed.

But I had to “come out” when I was up in Sheffield eight years ago and someone
said: “Come on, you can only support one team.” So since then I have found
it easier to say I am a Blade — though I am still keen to see them both do
well.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/738302/my-club-michael-palin/