Nob Heads Thugs in Orange/Yellow Jackets

I just watched that game, and if you saw more than eight or ten seconds worth of fans jumping all over the players, that's the most you saw. You were pretty observant, in seeing all you thought you saw in that very brief interval. As other posters have said, fans shouldn't be on the pitch, and if they trespass they need dealing with. How do stewards know if they're in celebratory mode, or idiots like the one who pushed Kirkland in the Leeds game?

I agree they can't  work out that Chelsea fans would n't want to hurt super Frank Lampard that's because that element of stewards are Neanderthall types who are thick as Pig poo they are there for a ruck of some type and they do really need the big FO from stewarding and doorman type work. 

Guest 5512uto

So stewards get slagged off for standing by whilst people run on the pitch and then get slagged off for giving the poor darlings nasty boo-boos when they do something about it? I'm not really a fan of stewards but it seems they can't win

Guest Warren Hobhead

Would we be condemning the stewards if they had ripped the head of that *** from Leeds who assaulted Kirky. I doubt it, at the end of the day, as had already been said, they should not be on the pitch.

On a vaguely related note, did anyone see the conditions imposed on Brighton fans travelling to Palace last night?

You had to take with you a photo ID, with the name matching that on the ticket, and be prepared to show that ID to any Met police officer on request. If the names did not match, you get a banning order. Only season ticket holders could buy a ticket, and were not allowed to buy them for others.

Sure some people will say that if you have no intention of misbehaving then there is no problem, but I am not convinced.

I'll echo the thoughts of others on this thread - you merely shouldn't enter the pitch. I do think the reputation of stewards in general is poor. There have been countless times when situations have been handled inopropriately (people being thrown out for nothing, lack of action when apparent racial abuse is being used).

There is no doubt that the stigma that football fans are nothing but trouble causes and a rowdy, unlawful, pisshead bunch. Whilst there are some dickheads about, most just go to enjoy a game of football where they can cheer on their team. So with the above in mind, I think the rough handling of fans from stewards and police, is certainly related to the "football fan stigma".

End of the day unless it is a promotion win or a vital game that sees a team stay up like we did then no reason to invade pitch.. For a no nonsense reason then a steward is in their rights to throw wrestle a thug to the ground to get them off pitch if a player may come to harm... We could end up with a similar kirkland incident...

Guest intercity0wl

I watched the game and my thoughts weren't "those nasty stewards are manhandling people", it was "flipping tramps, get them off the pitch".

Oh I don't know, I think the steward look anything but tramps in there nice bright jackets

Surely if the stewards take no action because "there's only a few and they're only celebrating" the next time there will be dozens, then hundreds and every goal will lead to chaos and lengthy hold-ups before play starts again. Maybe we could run on the pitch to celebrate the opposition missing a penalty?

Many stewards are humourless power-mad idiots, but to criticise them for stopping, however roughly, idiots running on the pitch is ludicrous. 

The weird thing is.

If players trying to get in the stand to fans started being treat the same by stewards as fans are, there'd be uproar.

Not saying using abit of excessive force to stop fans from getting on the pitch is wrong. It's what the stewards are there for after all.

But if it was the other way round I think the opinion would be the complete opposite.

It's strange how a player can come closer to the fan, than the fan can to the player.

Guest Retfordowl74

Stewards can't win. I don't like them but wouldn't be one for the money they get.

It's all just a way of clubs keeping police costs down. I'd like to know what training stewards have in self defence, dealing with conflict and so on. I bet it's zero....

Mind having said that i guess the police get loads of training and they still act like kn@bs