"Your grounds to big for you" - unless your Brighton - Help please

Guest mrplod

They gave loads of tickets away to students and anyone else that would take them..Sometimes their fans questioned whether the attendances of certain games was reight.

This is hilarious

We have never given any tickets away to students and we're probably one of the very few clubs that have had no cheap deals whats so ever this season unlike you and many more clubs,we have a waiting list and have virtually sold out 23k st for next season already despite an increase of roughly £80 on each st,the cheapest adult st will cost £490 rising to £740.

A club that has a waiting list does not i repeat giveaway tickets to spotty students,the demand is to high to offer any deals whats so ever.

Our crowds will only increase although now capped at 30,750

Well done for coming 2nd behind us in attendances as for a club struggling that's a bloody good support.

Edited by mrplod

Guest mrplod

Losing 8 to 12 million a year and filling up your stadium with freebies falls in the category of a stupid club. At this level. Palace deserve to go up more than them.

Thats testicles again,we have moved to a new stadium and like any business the outgoings will be large for a few years,we're building at the moment a £20 million academy and the figures will even out soon that's for sure. Edited by mrplod

BTW whoever said "The new stadium syndrome will wear off" is probably right,I have seen a lot of fairweather fans down there,and you can just tell they are,trust me.And there are still large sections leaving early,even when we beat Blackpool 6-1....those are not what I call "True" fans.I would say our hardcore is around 16,000 really.

Fair play for actually admitting that..

Unlike 'mr plod' who thinks you'll be getting 50,000 'hardcore' fans in the next 5 years

Guest mrplod

What I find funny is that they have the highest home attendance yet one of the lowest away attendances. Suggests they live off a lot of freebies and cheap tickets.

lol

1400 average and to many northern clubs is probably why,still laughing my nuts off at this mysterious freeby rubbish.

This.

And if we score we raise 8 inches without standing up.

No,it's just because the stadium capacity has increased during the season,and most of the empty seats are either,because they hadn't been given the H&S go-ahead at the time,or there were not enough in the away end.Although to be honest,out of the 22,000 season ticket holders,not all are turning up every week as well.It's 30,700,and that will be it,no room for expansion at all.

BTW whoever said "The new stadium syndrome will wear off" is probably right,I have seen a lot of fairweather fans down there,and you can just tell they are,trust me.And there are still large sections leaving early,even when we beat Blackpool 6-1....those are not what I call "True" fans.I would say our hardcore is around 16,000 really.

Surely only the 6k or so who kept attending for the previous 12 seasons could be classed as "hardcore"? You can't really bundle in an extra 10k who only started turning up last season and call them loyal supporters.

It's not as if the Withdean kept selling out and they couldn't get tickets.

Guest mrplod

This.

And if we score we raise 8 inches without standing up.

No,it's just because the stadium capacity has increased during the season,and most of the empty seats are either,because they hadn't been given the H&S go-ahead at the time,or there were not enough in the away end.Although to be honest,out of the 22,000 season ticket holders,not all are turning up every week as well.It's 30,700,and that will be it,no room for expansion at all.

Most clubs have fairweather fans galore,sheff w get 22k one week the sometimes 30k+,what are these fans?

That's football fans for you these days and its always been the case,i call fairweather fans the ones who turn up when you are doing really well or in the prem,or maybe the odd big game.

Guest mrplod

Surely only the 6k or so who kept attending for the previous 12 seasons could be classed as "hardcore"? You can't really bundle in an extra 10k who only started turning up last season and call them loyal supporters.

It's not as if the Withdean kept selling out and they couldn't get tickets.

The capacity was 6k for 2 years then 7k for 6 years,not a lot you can do with those restrictions to be honest and we regularly had applicants of 20k+,doesn't always tell you the whole story.

The withdean was a shambolic stadium and not surprising crowds dropped as most hated the place,£25 to sit in the rain watching football in league 1 with poo football took its toll i guess.

Be gutted if Brighton go up. Always a top weekend down there. And think its a bit odd hoping Palace get promoted because Brighton have spent a lot, seem to recall Palace going into admin a few years ago.

The capacity was 6k for 2 years then 7k for 6 years,not a lot you can do with those restrictions to be honest and we regularly had applicants of 20k+,doesn't always tell you the whole story.

The withdean was a shambolic stadium and not surprising crowds dropped as most hated the place,£25 to sit in the rain watching football in league 1 with poo football took its toll i guess.

8,850 according to Wiki, and you never came anywhere near to averaging that. There was only your promotion season when you managed to average just over 7k. Pretty much every time I saw Brighton on TV there were always empty seats in the home end - no reason why these "hardcore" fans couldn't have got tickets.

You weren't getting much more than that for the last decade at the Goldstone (obviously there were valid reasons for the tiny averages at Gillingham), so claiming 16k as "hardcore" is wildly optimistic.

Guest spooookie1

I have to agree that the Withdean was almost certainly the most depressing place I have ever been to watch football,I mean it was just desperately awful! I was speaking to another Owl yesterday,briefly,about football grounds,and mentioned Aldershot's recreation ground as one of my favourites.The "Rec" is small (roughly the same capacity of Withdean) and old, but is a proper football ground.The Withdean,on the other hand is not in any way a football ground,it was only a stop-gap,like playing at Gillinghams Priestfield.

As far as attendances/hard-core fans go,the best comparison for me is the Goldstone which was in the City (Then the town of Hove) and the equivalent of the Championship,where the rough average was around the 14-16K mark when we were not doing particularly well.I would say our own away support would be in the region of 1000-1300 regulars-Not such a healthy comparion to Wednesday,and that would depend on where and who we were playing of course.

I do stand by what I said-When we are not flying,and when the thrill of a gleaming new stadium wears off,and when/if we're being hammered regularly in the Premierleague each week,we will probably lose between 7-8k,and depending on circumstances,around half of what we are currently getting.

I can still remember how fickle many of the fans at the Goldstone were in the old days,although most of those used to occupy the West-Stand.Ordinarily,I don't like getting into arguments about attendances etc,well in truth I am not really arguing as such,I agree with much that has been said,so I'm just being as honest as I see it at the moment,and how I see the future.

One club that has surprised me is Middlesborough.Even when they were in third,they were only pulling in (very roughly) 14,000,which seems crazy to me,as I always regarded them as hard-core through and through.

So... Brighton have a 'hardcore' fan base of 16k......unless it rains a bit or the football is poo and it goes down to 6k, some hardcore fan base that is lol

At least if it rains they can use their Liverpool and Man Ure scarfs to keep them warm

Brighton.... lol

So... Brighton have a 'hardcore' fan base of 16k......unless it rains a bit or the football is poo and it goes down to 6k, some hardcore fan base that is lol

At least if it rains they can use their Liverpool and Man Ure scarfs to keep them warm

Brighton.... lol

In fairness, we spent a decade at the worst ground in professional football.  Now we have the best.  People are people at the end of the day - they don't like splashing out £30 on a football match for an uncovered seat with crap facilities.  Similarly, they DO like doing so if they are going to one of the best stadiums in the country.  And the fact is, our LOWEST league gate is bigger than everybody elses AVERAGE this season, except yours.  It kind of proves the point.  But yes, we are no different to several big cities around the country - fickle half-interested local support comes out in force during the good times, but finds better things to do otherwise. 

However, I think your argument about the hardcore nature of support would hold more water if you were not talking about a family day out costing the best part of a £100.  Even at Withdean in league one, you'd have to shell out around £70 for a family of four.  It is perfectly plausible for proper supporters to feel they have to pick and choose which games to attend when prices are what they are.

In fairness, we spent a decade at the worst ground in professional football. Now we have the best. People are people at the end of the day - they don't like splashing out £30 on a football match for an uncovered seat with crap facilities. Similarly, they DO like doing so if they are going to one of the best stadiums in the country. And the fact is, our LOWEST league gate is bigger than everybody elses AVERAGE this season, except yours. It kind of proves the point. But yes, we are no different to several big cities around the country - fickle half-interested local support comes out in force during the good times, but finds better things to do otherwise.

However, I think your argument about the hardcore nature of support would hold more water if you were not talking about a family day out costing the best part of a £100. Even at Withdean in league one, you'd have to shell out around £70 for a family of four. It is perfectly plausible for proper supporters to feel they have to pick and choose which games to attend when prices are what they are.

I'm not going to argue with any of that to be honest

My point was, it's not really hardcore support if they don't go to the games because the ground is crap or it rains is it?

Hardcore supporters are the people that turn up whatever the weather and whatever league or ground the club is in

to say Brighton have 16k of fans that fit that description is pushing it.

I'm not going to argue with any of that to be honest

My point was, it's not really hardcore support if they don't go to the games because the ground is crap or it rains is it?

Hardcore supporters are the people that turn up whatever the weather and whatever league or ground the club is in

to say Brighton have 16k of fans that fit that description is pushing it.

Well it's arguable.  If we were to plummet through the divisions as of now, what would our gates be if we found our feet and started competing again in league 2 or whatever?  I'm guessing 13,000 or so because the Amex is still a fantastic place to watch a game.  If we'd been at Withdean, that figure would have been nearer 4,500, I'm under no illusions.  At Reading, that loyal hardcore number at Elm Park was probably around 3,000 but nowadays would undoubtedly be nearer 8,000.  So what is their hardcore support then?  If they were to get 8,000 in division 4 right now, is that their hardcore?  Because we all know that had they played at Elm Park, it would have been far fewer. 

And here's the rub.  Hillsborough has historically been a fantastic football stadium.  It was hosting cup semi finals when your team was in division three.  Even in it's current slightly tired state, it's still pretty decent.  So how would you know what your hardcore support would be if you were in league 2 after a decade playing at a converted school athletics track with temporary golf seating?  It wouldn't be anywhere near the 17,000 you would point to now, I can tell you.

I think the point was that somebody said that you had a "hardcore" support of 16k, when until last season you haven't averaged that many fans for 30 years, and for the vast majority of those 30 years you were averaging less than half of that random figure. 

Go on, you can say it, no need to be embarrassed - around 75% of your "fantastic" support now that you've had a new ground built for you are johnny come latelys who didn't want to know when you were struggling. See also - "Hull City".

I think the point was that somebody said that you had a "hardcore" support of 16k, when until last season you haven't averaged that many fans for 30 years, and for the vast majority of those 30 years you were averaging less than half of that random figure. 

Go on, you can say it, no need to be embarrassed - around 75% of your "fantastic" support now that you've had a new ground built for you are johnny come latelys who didn't want to know when you were struggling. See also - "Hull City".

Meh.  Not embarrassed at all.  An anonymous man on the internet is a bit prickly about our attendances, so what?  We obviously DO have a large number of JCLs but it's nothing like the 75% you mention - a lot of those "new" fans are actually lapsed, returning fans.

I say good luck to 'em.  Seems to me what they're doing is exploiting the large market in the south of England, of supporters of Man Utd, Liverpool etc that've never been anywhere near Old Trafford, Anfield and the like.  Whether or not these people call themselves Brighton fans is open to debate but they're putting money through the turnstiles.