It will be a great achievement for us to stay up this season

Guest Big Guns

Guest wilyfox

How can you claim DJ "wasted" this season?! He was only able to make 3 cash purchases last summer; Antonio, Maguire & Taylor - and the last two weren't dear. Most of our signings were freebies, loans and gambles from abroad. DJ had no other choice. Our budget is modest, not a top 6 budget - so how can you expect us to be there?

Guest Big Guns

How can you claim DJ "wasted" this season?! He was only able to make 3 cash purchases last summer; Antonio, Maguire & Taylor - and the last two weren't dear. Most of our signings were freebies, loans and gambles from abroad. DJ had no other choice. Our budget is modest, not a top 6 budget - so how can you expect us to be there?

You've answered your own question

Maguire and Taylor was a deffo waste of funds

Staying up , and the way in which we’ll have done it – just – is not success. Will you accept the same degree of success next season, or will a couple more points satisfy you?

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this season has been wasted by DJ. By and large his signings have been poor. We will finish the season with the vast majority of the team either on loan (not our players), out of contract, or reaching the end of their footballing lives at this level.

We will be starting next season in the same position as this season, but without the fantastic momentum the club had following promotion. Also, there’ll be a number of players at the club, on contract, who’ll be nowhere near the first team (having been bought primarily for that role).

He will have to start his “building” all over again. There is little or no continuity between the league squad and the development squad (reserves?). How many of the players brought in for that purpose can you see featuring in next season’s side? Most of them haven’t been deemed fit for the bench this season.

Talking about what position our number of points would get in another season has no merit. It’s relevant only to this season (if you say that 55 or so points would normally get mid table, what does that mean – nothing. Any of the clubs that finish around us on the same points can validly say the same thing.

Performances (not points) apart from a few exceptions have been dire. Little creativity, poor midfield, no punch at all up front. Lost 10 games at home.

Some of DJ’s teams and tactics have been bizarre to say the least, and until the luck of the win at Barnsley he looked and sounded lost. Points have been good since then, but performances, on the whole, have been awful. Don’t forget that if he takes the plaudits for later form, he must take the flak for the earlier stuff.

DJ has had a full pre season, got his targets (even though he hasn’t played some of them) and has had great support from MM.

He was touted as a great manager with successful experience at championship level and he’s done little better than many others without his so-called pedigree.

I was all for his appointment, but I fear for next season. He may be able to do it with cash in his pocket (most of them can), but I can’t see MM handing him a lot. He’s spent a small fortune this year and look where it’s got him.

whilever we have the finances we do, ill accept staying in the championship by whatever means. will become even more relevant with the teams coming down, and the money they get in parachute payments.

Id much prefer it if we were safe with a few games to spare though, instead of leaving it til the last two games...

True, although Maguire will hopefully prove to be a decent signing in time.

You've said it yourself in the various Helan threads though, what can you get for that sort of money these days?

Guest Big Guns

True, although Maguire will hopefully prove to be a decent signing in time.

You've said it yourself in the various Helan threads though, what can you get for that sort of money these days?

And that's why I keep saying we won't get better than Helan for that kind of money

Surely we all agree he's much better than Maguire

Guest wilyfox

Maguire may still prove worthy, and if you combine his and Taylor's fees that's not much to be wasted... DJ only had enough cash to make one substantial signing in Antonio; that was never going to be enough to break us into top 6 at the first attempt.

DJ has sewn a few seeds this season, signing a number of young players for the long haul whilst bringing sufficient experience in to see us through in the meantime.

Edited by wilyfox

And that's why I keep saying we won't get better than Helan for that kind of money

Surely we all agree he's much better than Maguire

As an all round athlete yes. 

As a footballer I'd go with Maguire.

No disrespect to Dave jones or anyone ,but if we do manage to stay up I will feel it as more relief than achievement ,stu gray coming in has made a hell of a difference tbh,And between them they have given us some breathing space and hope,prior to that we were only going one way ,I can't put my finger on the problem with us as we destroyed Hull and were clear winners at Birmingham ,so that proved the players can play when up for it ,whether it was tactics, or the players mind set who knows but something wasn't working ,

but credit where credits due , we only need the one win to survive ,fingers crossed it happens or the other teams in the same place lose ,

Guest cypress hill

flip the players and achievments.the fans need to be told if just avoiding the drop is a job well done, it's mentally draining being at the bottom of the leauge all flippingyear

Guest wilyfox

It was the same after we came up with Sturrock. You either throw money at it, or try to consolidate and gradually make inroads. I do sense we'll get closer to the prem under DJ than we've ever been since we left it. From memory, wasn't 10th under Laws our highest finish..? I reckon the MM/DJ regime will prove more fruitful.

Guest wilyfox

9th I think

May have been, I can't remember precisely. It was around there.

Guest Johnbloodaxe

With the changes going on at this club it will be a MASSIVE achievement to stay up

Wtf kind of changes are they to expect relegation ?

Guest Johnbloodaxe

With the changes going on at this club it will be a MASSIVE achievement to stay up

Wtf kind of changes are they to expect relegation ?

lol lol