It will be a great achievement for us to stay up this season

Guest Big Guns

Just some examples this year - there are others....

Becchio's handball vs Leeds - draw turns to win.

Lita's 'goal' vs Ipswich - draw turns to win.

Bristol City's late goal 90+4 - win turns draw.

I agree with most of your post, but these things tend to even out

Maguire's injury time winner against Millwall

Lita's late deflected goal against Charlton

Helan's double booking against Udders

etc.

etc.

None of those examples are valid though.

The goals were not questionable and the helan double booking was confusion over identity. The ref had no intention of sending him off.

The goals were not questionable and the helan double booking was confusion over identity. The ref had no intention of sending him off.

Yes he did. He would have booked him twice  for two seperate incidents so he would have been sent off.

Guest Johnbloodaxe

If we end up with 57/58 points would that have been enough to see us in mid table in all other seasons than this one ? Just wondered if anyone knew?

Just checked it would have seen us in 16th place in both of the preceeding 2 seasons. Is 16th mid table? out of 24 teams I suppose it is if you see the breakdown as bottom 8 middle 8 top 8.

So not bad really, and we could finish with more points than 57/58...

Edited by Johnbloodaxe

That's wot dave jones keeps saying

Why will it be haven't we got a mid table budget

Why didn't they say the goal was survival

I think daves talkin poo poo to make himself look good

Money doesn't necessarily mean success.We've made mistakes throughout the season which MM and DJ have both admitted. They both underestimated this league IMO and some signings didn't come off.

If you think of the 2 absolutely dire runs we had, it will be a great achievement staying up

Run 1 (league only):

No win in 9, lost 7, drawn 2

Run 2 (league only)

No win in 7, lost 7

To put it another way,  73% of our defeats for the season came in those 2 runs

Since then we've played 23, won 11,drawn 7, lost 5. Considering the squad we've got it's very good. Win 50% games for the season and you'll finish near the playoffs usually

If we end up with 57/58 points would that have been enough to see us in mid table in all other seasons than this one ? Just wondered if anyone knew?

Just checked it would have seen us in 16th place in both of the preceeding 2 seasons. Is 16th mid table? out of 24 teams I suppose it is if you see the breakdown as bottom 8 middle 8 top 8.

So not bad really, and we could finish with more points than 57/58...

I usually take the bench mark of 46 games divided by 3 = 15 wins; 15 draws ; 16 losses as usually comfortably securing around 11th to 14th in 'midtable'.

This gives 60 points.

If we don't get those 15 wins by the end of August I start to get a bit twitchy..... lol

It looks like in most seasons our current points total would have us lower mid table and it's totally possible that we'll pick up further points and so finish mid table this season... Which is what most people said they expected and would be happy with... Makes you wonder if all the extreme moaning and flapping from some at every single opportunity was really worth it.

Still, plenty to do yet!

OK, I was kind of referring to the rub of the green, which tends to even out, I should have been more clear.

That said we have had some monumentally bad referring decisions this season.

The COG goal against Barnsley is one that springs to mind in our favour though!

Edited by Davidioso

Guest Big Guns

With the changes going on at this club it will be a massive achievement to stay up

Wtf kind of changes are they to expect relegation ?

etc.

They do generally even themselves out, difficult to see it at the time but it always happens.

For example, the Becchio handball was blatant, should have been a penalty, but then we got a penalty for faceball against Barnsley, just because we missed it doesnt mean it doesnt count, bad decisions have gone for and against this season.

Guest wilyfox

With so many players lacking experience at this level, survival was always the number one. Too many players had question marks over their heads to expect any more - some still do.

Staying up , and the way in which we’ll have done it – just – is not success. Will you accept the same degree of success next season, or will a couple more points satisfy you?

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this season has been wasted by DJ. By and large his signings have been poor. We will finish the season with the vast majority of the team either on loan (not our players), out of contract, or reaching the end of their footballing lives at this level.

We will be starting next season in the same position as this season, but without the fantastic momentum the club had following promotion. Also, there’ll be a number of players at the club, on contract, who’ll be nowhere near the first team (having been bought primarily for that role).

He will have to start his “building” all over again. There is little or no continuity between the league squad and the development squad (reserves?). How many of the players brought in for that purpose can you see featuring in next season’s side? Most of them haven’t been deemed fit for the bench this season.

Talking about what position our number of points would get in another season has no merit. It’s relevant only to this season (if you say that 55 or so points would normally get mid table, what does that mean – nothing. Any of the clubs that finish around us on the same points can validly say the same thing.

Performances (not points) apart from a few exceptions have been dire. Little creativity, poor midfield, no punch at all up front. Lost 10 games at home.

Some of DJ’s teams and tactics have been bizarre to say the least, and until the luck of the win at Barnsley he looked and sounded lost. Points have been good since then, but performances, on the whole, have been awful. Don’t forget that if he takes the plaudits for later form, he must take the flak for the earlier stuff.

DJ has had a full pre season, got his targets (even though he hasn’t played some of them) and has had great support from MM.

He was touted as a great manager with successful experience at championship level and he’s done little better than many others without his so-called pedigree.

I was all for his appointment, but I fear for next season. He may be able to do it with cash in his pocket (most of them can), but I can’t see MM handing him a lot. He’s spent a small fortune this year and look where it’s got him.

To be fair jones has wasted a hell of a lot of money on bad signings, imagine where we would be if this was spent more wisely??

Only Kirkland and Gardner have really strengthened the starting 11

Mattock, Amado, Taylor, Pecnik, Mayor, the loans of Bothroyd and Rodri can't have come cheap and then theres all the other loans like sidibe, Holden etc. Not to mention what was paid for Maguire who's hardly played...

Some major rumble ups by DJ and I wouldn't say we are much stronger for it

Guest cypress hill

before people renewed season tickets,they should have been told if staying up next season will be another great achievment,at least people would then be able to prepare for another **** season.it would also curb the unreal expectations of many fans who thought we would walk through this leauge ( norwich, s'hampton ) or get in the play-offs

Staying up , and the way in which we’ll have done it – just – is not success. Will you accept the same degree of success next season, or will a couple more points satisfy you?

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this season has been wasted by DJ. By and large his signings have been poor. We will finish the season with the vast majority of the team either on loan (not our players), out of contract, or reaching the end of their footballing lives at this level.

We will be starting next season in the same position as this season, but without the fantastic momentum the club had following promotion. Also, there’ll be a number of players at the club, on contract, who’ll be nowhere near the first team (having been bought primarily for that role).

He will have to start his “building” all over again. There is little or no continuity between the league squad and the development squad (reserves?). How many of the players brought in for that purpose can you see featuring in next season’s side? Most of them haven’t been deemed fit for the bench this season.

Talking about what position our number of points would get in another season has no merit. It’s relevant only to this season (if you say that 55 or so points would normally get mid table, what does that mean – nothing. Any of the clubs that finish around us on the same points can validly say the same thing.

Performances (not points) apart from a few exceptions have been dire. Little creativity, poor midfield, no punch at all up front. Lost 10 games at home.

Some of DJ’s teams and tactics have been bizarre to say the least, and until the luck of the win at Barnsley he looked and sounded lost. Points have been good since then, but performances, on the whole, have been awful. Don’t forget that if he takes the plaudits for later form, he must take the flak for the earlier stuff.

DJ has had a full pre season, got his targets (even though he hasn’t played some of them) and has had great support from MM.

He was touted as a great manager with successful experience at championship level and he’s done little better than many others without his so-called pedigree.

I was all for his appointment, but I fear for next season. He may be able to do it with cash in his pocket (most of them can), but I can’t see MM handing him a lot. He’s spent a small fortune this year and look where it’s got him.

Excellent post mate