Bert McGee & the Kop Roof

Came across this photo and piece written by Bert McGee in the Hillsborough FA Cup semi final programme of 1987.  You can see how much Wednesday meant to him and the photo is a great view of the unseated Kop and the North with the old wooden seats. Seems incredible it's had a roof for over 25 years!

welcome1987-1_zpsf1f8421b.jpgwelcome1987b_zps33a2ece1.jpg

The Kop looks MASSIVE in that picture.

Can pick out the place where me and all my School mates used to stand. Happy days.

I remember standing halfway up on the left for the Kaiserslauten game - one of the best atmospheres ever!

I used to love being on that Kop!! The Coventry quarter final is my lasting memory!! God knows how many we're squeezed on that day!!

I was on the kop that night too it was an awesome atmosphere

Was that the same match as all the Mr Tom bars were getting thrown everywhere???

Guest ben29

You can see the old shape of the Kop (darkened concrete) it used to hold 26k in a reduced capacity of 58k from 65k.

Had the capacity of the Kop not been reduced how many would we have got on there. Me and my mate used to argue the throw between 34k and 38k.

??

Kop used to hold 18000 to 22000 at its peak.

Guest TC OWL

Does anybody remember Swansea City at home before the roof went on? massive hail stones in the face, ouch!!! We won either 4-1 or 5-1, John Toshack was their manager at the time.

Does anybody remember Swansea City at home before the roof went on? MASSIVE hail stones in the face, ouch!!! We won either 4-1 or 5-1, John Toshack was their manager at the time.

It was 6-1 mate. And yep, cold and painful that day. Thank Christ we gave out a hammering

He's got one thing wrong. The reason we wanted a roof on the Kop was to improve the atmosphere and give some amplification to the home support which had been finding it extremely difficult to get any proper singing and chanting going. A little known fact that from 1964 to 1986 we were the only league club out of 92 which couldn't accommodate standing home fans undercover in some part of the ground.that in itself was a disgrace and I blame Eric Taylor and the other cronies as much as anybody in allowing the Leppings Lane shed to be knocked down in 1964. 

First home match after they covered the Kop as an 11 year old I sat on a crush barrier before the game for 20 mins and got blue paint all over my new jeans as it still hadn't dried properly. Wish I'd framed the paint smeared wranglers as a momento in retrospect.

Edited by goodytheowl

Does anybody remember Swansea City at home before the roof went on? MASSIVE hail stones in the face, ouch!!! We won either 4-1 or 5-1, John Toshack was their manager at the time.

As has already been said it was 6-1 and Toshack scored an own goal!

Guest bradwell.owl

I used to love being on that Kop!! The Coventry quarter final is my lasting memory!! God knows how many we're squeezed on that day!!

that was my first ever match :)

For all i loved the old kop both uncovered and covered, people forget that it was only a handfull of games each season in the 70s/80s that were packed. Indeed with most of the crowd in the ground on the kop the north was regulaly half full at best. It was left to kop to raise some noise, which they did, even without the aid of a drum.