Dave Jones - 3rd best Sheffield Wednesday manager of all time

This is like comparing a cricketers average from 50 years ago to a player in the modern day. It's a different game. If the older managers mentioned above had been in the same position with the same players....they might have done better, they might have done worse. Similarly if Dave Jones was managing the teams from 50-60 years ago, his record would have been totally different. Also, Jones' has been manager for just over a year, maybe we'll see where he ranks on that list if/when he's been in charge as long.

3rd best? If so, god help us!

Football being served up is boring, and, unlike Big Jack (and dare I say it, Megson) you can't even see any passion on the touchline....apart from his non-scrap!

Third best manager of all time tho

This is like comparing a cricketers average from 50 years ago to a player in the modern day. It's a different game.

So youre effectively saying Hirsty and Waddle wouldnt be legends if they played now ?

Owlstalk Shop

So by that logic, Jones should have been fired in the period where we lost 13 games out of 15 or whatever it was?

Make you're mind up, earlier on in the season we were "turning the corner" for at least nine games according to you.

Not that I'm challenging the fact you're wrong, because you're not...... ever.

Glad you recognised that fact

lol

Jones is third best manager of all time

You can hate that fact as much as you like...

But you cant change it

Owlstalk Shop

Fair point, but I have reached an age now where I need to find a reason to attend games, other than pure tribalism (I attend most home games.)

Whilst I always want Wednesday to win, I do like to see players showing some skill or doing something that I cannot do (or cannot see from my local non-League team just down the road.) 

Like it or not, football is becoming an entertainment.

May just be an age thing, though, as I was once happy with just winning, however we played !

I do agree that it's nice to see skill etc but I think this season in particular, we just haven't got the squad to it at all.

DJ had them playing great at the back end of last season but I think everyone (DJ, MM, fans) all underestimated how much the quality in this league has improved since we were last in it. Fingers crossed we stay up and continue to progress next season.

Its all about the results of course, it would be nice to have both, but we simply dont have the players or the resources for that at the moment, so we have to find a way to win, which lately Jones and co have done admirably.

I also think the passion thing is overrated aswell, who cares if he dances around on the touchline as long as he gets enough decent results.

I do agree with Mikey63 though in the sense that it would be nice to get up and really want to go to the games, for a reason other than blind loyalty or pure habit, because lets be honest, genuine entertainment has been very limited this season.

Agree with that.

Fans often forget that for most managers/players it is a job and to get a skilled manager/player who is equally passionate about the club is probably pretty rare.

Flirting with relegation is success nowadays? lol

He's got a lot to do to even be compared with the likes of Big Ron, Big Jack, Howard Wilkinson, Arthur Dickinson, Robert Brown, Catterick, Walker, Alan Brown and even Tricky Trev. Promotion from Division 3 is great and it was at the expense of our bitter rivals but this season as been poor and a lot of mistakes have been made.

If going on our second worst ever run in our history makes a manager our third best ever, then God help us.  :st2:

It's been a crazy season and the turnaround was quite remarkable but we still ain't safe and it's a bit early to go calling the manager a messiah or one of our best ever.

The future could be very bright as long as we stay up but we've still got a lot of work to do, not only just to stay up this season but to progress at this level and become a top side in the League, will take much more quality, more youngsters have to come through and we'd need to invest more to even challenge. I don't expect the League to be as poor and wide open next season either.

I agree totally with that response. Yet with just over a year in charge Jones has an advantage in the 'Best manager in History stakes' and that is, he is still holding the reigns. How he'll progress from here depends very much on who is holding the purse strings. Milan is taking a chance on FFP and that we will be undertaken by ex-Prem sides in the mire having to off load at a rapid rate of knots. The play offs for Jones next season, assuming we beat the drop will be a remarkable achievement and if we are well placed by the final transfer window we'll see Milan give it a real go.....Success would see Dave Jones take his place in the elite of our all time top managers but top three ? That would even then be open to debate. 

we've had a number of decent, and even good managers...

each has had his own circumstances to deal with...

i didn't see catterick's side, so cannot comment...

big jack arrived to find a bomb site, and did a right job on it...

wilkinson took over from jack, and drove us to the promised land, then won the title (shame on us he wasn't here at the time)...

big ron, WELL, what can you say, PROPER ROLLER COASTER...

DOWN, UP, and rub the (emerging) best side in the land in a cup final on the way, PRICELESS...

those would be my top wednesday managers, and i won't put them in any order of merit, as they all did outstanding jobs, at their time...

jones is nowhere near the class of any of these, and would probably be amongst the first to admit it...

he may over time surpass them all, but that will take time, great effort, and no doubt a bit of luck too...

post like this, are posted to be controversial, though they are thinly veiled, and easy to see through, offering very little, other than negating our great champions of the past...

Third best manager of all time tho

So youre effectively saying Hirsty and Waddle wouldnt be legends if they played now ?

I'm saying that there is no real way of telling. You need to be a lot more head clever these days so maybe some of their 'skills' won't have worked on defenders that play now, maybe they would have. I'm trying to say that it's almost impossible to compare based on statistics alone.

Just shows you

Can have pretty football

Or you can have wins and success

Which dya want?

Pretty football for me :P

Look at Stoke.If thats the price you have to pay to be in the premier league,i'd rather be back in league one.

I honestly couldn't watch that type of football.

Guest TC OWL

Like it or not, football is becoming an entertainment.

Fans want to be entertained, and they always have. Fans will put up with route one football as long as we are winning. Unlike that lot in Sheffield 2, who moan at owt. 5th in table, play off place with 5 to go.... SACK THE C**T MENTALITY.

A good manager will get more money out of a chairman so the budget is a non starter for me (it's not like we've suddenly got millions to squander is it).

I can only presume this research went as far as the wikipedia list of managers or something tho:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sheffield_Wednesday_F.C._managers

going on which you'll notice megson (45.16% vs jones' 46.55%) had a similar win percentage and it's not like irvine was a million miles away (40.68%).

What these stats don't tell us is the state of the opposition, the leagues and our position within them.

Jones has done well, especially if we can stay up and he can sort our academy and finances out... no other managers have managed to do those for a few years and whilst they don't instantly impact on that win percentage I'd say they are incredibly important factors in determining how good a manager is.

Guest TC OWL

Pretty football for me :P

Look at Stoke.If thats the price you have to pay to be in the premier league,i'd rather be back in league one.

I honestly couldn't watch that type of football.

Couldn't agree more mate, although, steady on a minute, let's put up with Championship football rather than watch dull as ditchwater Stoke.... Remember Dagenham & Redbridge!  OOH NOOO!!!