Dave Jones - 3rd best Sheffield Wednesday manager of all time

Guest WoodhouseOwl77

Better than Ron Atkinson (Who built the best side I have seen play at S6). Started watching wednesday around 84/85 for the record!

Lies, damn lies and statistics. The football being served up at present is utter garbage compared to the stuff served up by Wilko, Big Ron and Trevor Francis. Oh for those halcyon days.

Just shows you

Can have pretty football

Or you can have wins and success

Which dya want?

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Big Guns

He helped bring the feel good factor back to the club without doubt. Best manager? I'm not so sure. Remember, under him there was no scouting system, DJ mentioned this in the fan forum. Regularly did very negative substitutions that cost us games in my opinion. I couldn't possibly see him taking us far in this league, however I can see DJ doing so. It's a shame seeing as GM is a Wednesdayite. 

wed have wun the league if megson was still manager

attachicon.gifdave jones swfc.jpg

Dave Jones is actually the 3rd best manager since 1891 with a win percentage of 46.55% (only Harry Catterick 55.8% between August 1958 and April 1961 and Vic Buckingham with 47.01% between May 1961 and March 1964 have a better win ratio)

(Stats come from Stuart Brown's research)

It's a good stat but you can't convince me (just yet) that Jones is better than (the successful managers I've seen in) Big Jack, Wilkinson, Big Ron and Tricky Trev.

Guest TC OWL

I've been watching Wednesday since 1968 and you can say what you like about statistics, but the football played under Ron Atkinson was entertaining football, played on the ground, pretty football if you will. We had success and it was good to watch. Wilko & Big Jack, Big Jack especially, did what they had to do to get us back to the top and a lot of the time it wasn't pretty. I must say, I'm surprised and happy to know DJ is up there with Catterick, a manager I was just too young to remember.

Guest Sweet&TenderOwl

Just shows you

Can have pretty football

Or you can have wins and success

Which dya want?

Flirting with relegation is success nowadays? lol

He's got a lot to do to even be compared with the likes of Big Ron, Big Jack, Howard Wilkinson, Arthur Dickinson, Robert Brown, Catterick, Walker, Alan Brown and even Tricky Trev. Promotion from Division 3 is great and it was at the expense of our bitter rivals but this season as been poor and a lot of mistakes have been made.

If going on our second worst ever run in our history makes a manager our third best ever, then God help us.  :st2:

It's been a crazy season and the turnaround was quite remarkable but we still ain't safe and it's a bit early to go calling the manager a messiah or one of our best ever.

The future could be very bright as long as we stay up but we've still got a lot of work to do, not only just to stay up this season but to progress at this level and become a top side in the League, will take much more quality, more youngsters have to come through and we'd need to invest more to even challenge. I don't expect the League to be as poor and wide open next season either.

Edited by Sweet&TenderOwl

Guest TC OWL

Well, when Big Jack took over we were even worse than we were when DJ took over. Jack built us into a great side, but it took him time to do it. I think DJ, if given time, has to potential to become a legend at Sheffield 6. And remember, Wilko took us up into the top flight with Big Jack's squad. Jack did a massive job at Wednesday, I'm sure DJ is set to do the same.

I think he is a good manager, under-rated by a lot of our fans. Fair enough United managed to f*ck it up last season, like no other club could. But the run we went on under him at the end of last season was remarkable. We wouldn’t have gone up, automatically, without him. This season, yeah a lot of his signings have been suspect. Especially Bothroyd, or more his refusal to drop Bothroyd. However, If you look at the squad we've got and compare it to those around us and the quality of this league, he's done very well to keep us up, which he more than likely will. If one thing has become apparent this season it's how impatient a large percentage of our fans are. His biggest task is keeping us as fans happy, which looks like one of the toughest jobs in football. It says something when our fans are making Mandaric, known for being trigger happy, look as forgiving as Mother Teresa.

3rd best? If so, god help us!

Football being served up is boring, and, unlike Big Jack (and dare I say it, Megson) you can't even see any passion on the touchline....apart from his non-scrap!

3rd best? If so, god help us!

Football being served up is boring, and, unlike Big Jack (and dare I say it, Megson) you can't even see any passion on the touchline....apart from his non-scrap!

I always find this point interesting with football fans.

As it's a sport I want my team to win. I don't care how we get there but I want 3 points on the board if possible.

If I want to be entertained i'll watch a film, or go to the theatre or go to pub with friends.

What do people think?

Play lovely triangles and not be successful or play awful yet win games?

No there aren't

So by that logic, Jones should have been fired in the period where we lost 13 games out of 15 or whatever it was?

Make you're mind up, earlier on in the season we were "turning the corner" for at least nine games according to you.

Not that I'm challenging the fact you're wrong, because you're not...... ever.

As it's a sport I want my team to win. I don't care how we get there but I want 3 points on the board if possible.

If I want to be entertained i'll watch a film, or go to the theatre or go to pub with friends.

What do people think?

Fair point, but I have reached an age now where I need to find a reason to attend games, other than pure tribalism (I attend most home games.)

Whilst I always want Wednesday to win, I do like to see players showing some skill or doing something that I cannot do (or cannot see from my local non-League team just down the road.) 

Like it or not, football is becoming an entertainment.

May just be an age thing, though, as I was once happy with just winning, however we played !

What do people think?

It would nice to see our players attempt to pass the ball on the floor every now and again.

lol

What do people think?

Its all about the results of course, it would be nice to have both, but we simply dont have the players or the resources for that at the moment, so we have to find a way to win, which lately Jones and co have done admirably.

I also think the passion thing is overrated aswell, who cares if he dances around on the touchline as long as he gets enough decent results.

I do agree with Mikey63 though in the sense that it would be nice to get up and really want to go to the games, for a reason other than blind loyalty or pure habit, because lets be honest, genuine entertainment has been very limited this season.

Edited by Lee A