The Learning Curve

How many goals do we give away when we sit back and hand the impetus to the other team ,we struggle under pressure and that nearly allways costs us a goal or two ,we are a better team when we take it to the oponents ,

So basically, about 60% going on them stats.

Today we lost our second away game since December. I can tell you now, if you can count on one hand the games we've deserved to win then you've either the 40% you've missed were some of them or you have more fingers than a dingle.

We snatched from Blackburn? Christ almighty.

Millwall we deserved a point and brilliantly won it.

We weren't better than Blackburn, draw at best. I generously gave Ipswich (a) even though I didn't see it because by all accounts they played well for once. Any others I'm forgetting? I have five digits on each hand.

We weren't better than Blackburn, draw at best. I generously gave Ipswich (a) even though I didn't see it because by all accounts they played well for once. Any others I'm forgetting? I have five digits on each hand.

Not even worth discussing if you think we deserved a draw at best v Blackburn.

You have your way. It won't change.

We defo deserved 3 points against Blackburn. We deserved all 3 against L**ds at home too.

And on reflection if it is 4 defeats in 21 then that's remarkable, Just so frustrating that I think we could have had more points if we didn't sit back and try to defend a 1-0 lead so much

We do sit back. I don't know why.

But then again, you often see teams do this, and I'm not sure it's at the instigation of the manager.

In fact, I have heard Jones moan about it himself once or twice. You could say he should be able to influence such things, but I'm not sure it's as easy as telling them to keep a high line and keep pressing them.

Forest sat back second half at Hillsborough last month, when it seemed like they could rip us apart with their every attack. It could've been costly for them, but they got away with it that day because we didn't really look like scoring.

It's finding the right balance. We start well get on top, sometimes score but then invite the opposition back on us. At the beginning of the season we went gung ho and got found out.

Players will be better next season and with a couple of additions we can cement a decent position and kick on from there.

Despite today's result I still fancy us to win our last 2 home games and be safe

Guest Distraught!

Well, well..we lose a match and back comes Lincowl.

I don't care how many matches you have been to, we just don't need 'supporters' like you.

I guess Lincowl wants us to stop up but by such a tight margin that he can maintain his little campaign (aided by the rest of the anti-Jones droogs).

The recent good form must have really hurt underneath the bravado.

We defo deserved 3 points against Blackburn. We deserved all 3 against L**ds at home too.

And on reflection if it is 4 defeats in 21 then that's remarkable, Just so frustrating that I think we could have had more points if we didn't sit back and try to defend a 1-0 lead so much

tells me to flip off then eats his own words..... delightful  lol

tells me to flip off then eats his own words..... delightful  lol

At which point did I eat my own words?

My original point stands.

and my 2nd.

Edited by Jowl

It's not always necessarily a case of "sitting back", it's just a case of the opposition having a good spell, being buoyed by a new manager and home backing and having some decent possession.

The natural reaction of the team shape and defence is to go a little closer to your goal, to cover all the space behind and not commit to make mistakes, or leave areas the opposition can exploit. 

I am not suggesting for one second it is close to professional football, but I skipper a team from centre back on Sundays. You never get instructed to "sit back", or "defend deeper", quite the opposite in all honesty. I think it is more a comfort / psychological  thing rather than DJ telling the players to let them come at us wave after wave

It's not always necessarily a case of "sitting back", it's just a case of the opposition having a good spell, being buoyed by a new manager and home backing and having some decent possession.

The natural reaction of the team shape and defence is to go a little closer to your goal, to cover all the space behind and not commit to make mistakes, or leave areas the opposition can exploit. 

I am not suggesting for one second it is close to professional football, but I skipper a team from centre back on Sundays. You never get instructed to "sit back", or "defend deeper", quite the opposite in all honesty. I think it is more a comfort / psychological  thing rather than DJ telling the players to let them come at us wave after wave

thats football. its a natural thing that happens. i play in goal at quite a decent standard and when you're winning by a single goal especially its difficult to push out....