1 More Of Us 1 Less Of Them.....kind Of!

Guest Hirsty's Love Child

Bit of a mixed bag of a weekend coming up.  I don't post much but being a little emotional at the moment I thought i'd use this board as an outlet.

My Uncle passed away this morning, 76 years old & has been going to Hillsborough for 71 of em.  Seen it all good and bad and was the one who took my Dad when Dad was a nipper to his 1st match and made sure he was there when I attended my 1st too ( vs Luton Town 1985)

I'm taking my lad to his 1st Wednesday match this weekend, sounds like its going to be a baptism he'll remember considering the ups and downs of the last few years.  I've not been for a season or so so I have no idea what to tell him when he asks if we're any good.

I left it to our Fred to sum it up when we went to see him a while ago and Jack told him he was going to the football.

"You'll love it Son, you'll never be able to properly explain why, but the minute you see the pitch and hear the crowd there'll be nothing and no-one that gives you that buzz like Wednesday will!  Win Lose or Draw you're one of us now!!" :-)

Here's to a good 3 points this weekend and 1 more devoted Wednesday devotee following!!

Cheers

That post just made me go all goose bumpy. Sorry to hear about your Uncle, i hope he rests well. Welcome to the family to your son, this will be his baptism to the roller coaster. I hope he's lucky and brings us 3 points!!

"You'll love it Son, you'll never be able to properly explain why, but the minute you see the pitch and hear the crowd there'll be nothing and no-one that gives you that buzz like Wednesday will!  Win Lose or Draw you're one of us now!!" :-)

that about sums it up really.

I'm in my 50th at Hillsborough - it's like a drug - sometimes I'm not too bothered about going but I always do!

Wonder if I knew your uncle.

I see the same faces over and over again for years. We don't 'get older', but it accelerates each 90 mins!

Guest The Horse

Goosebumps here too.

That bit about seeing the pitch and the crowd for the first time... An image that I'll never forget 30 years later either.

All the best mate.

I left it to our Fred to sum it up when we went to see him a while ago and Jack told him he was going to the football.

"You'll love it Son, you'll never be able to properly explain why, but the minute you see the pitch and hear the crowd there'll be nothing and no-one that gives you that buzz like Wednesday will! Win Lose or Draw you're one of us now!

Absolutely fabulous. What a wonderful quote.

Sorry to hear about your loss - but hopefully those pearls of wisdom will be passed down by your lad one day.

Thanks for the comments & indulging me.  My lad keeps asking is it today we're going to the football.gotta be a goood sign ;-)

UTO!!!

Guest Owlamspartacus

Sorry to hear of your loss :sad: just tell your lad ,he's alway's been one of us & alway's will be....Just like your uncle..

What a wonderful and moving statement to remember your uncle by.  Sums it up perfectly. Impossible to explain but going up the 80 steps and seeing the ground and pitch always brings a lump to my throat. The history, the good times (!!!), the more frequent bad times, the memories, the feeling that you're part of something indefinable, the mysterious and inexplicable "something".  I feel at home at Hillsborough. I'm sure you'll both enjoy tomorrow and will be thinking of your Uncle.

Sorry for your loss mate. I really hope your lad enjoys his first match. 

There was a thread on here yesterday that asked people why they love Wednesday..... I said "not sure" but this sums it up perfectly

"You'll love it Son, you'll never be able to properly explain why, but the minute you see the pitch and hear the crowd there'll be nothing and no-one that gives you that buzz like Wednesday will!  Win Lose or Draw you're one of us now!!"

UTO!!! 

sorry for your loss pal, good to see the next generation picking up where he left off so to speak.

supporting wednesday is a bit like your blood group.....you have it for life and you couldn't change it even if you wanted to.....