Referees - What Is Going On With Them?

Guest Sheff Owl

WRT goal line technology, lots of stuff was tried eg: lasers, cameras etc. None of which could be afforded by lower league clubs and certrainly not Sunday league. Then some bloke came up with the idea of sloping the goal downwards at 10 degrees so any bounces behond the line bounce backwards.... You could almost hear the embarrassment.

The clock stopping every time the ball is out of play is unworkable in Sunday league, but I do think a 5th official/4th officials lackey could run a timer with guidelines for blatant timewasting.

Also, was it just me who thought we should have had a corner yesterday when JJ let the ball run out at their end? Thought it was nailed on

The offside rule isn't complicated - and there are very few controversial goals scored regarding offside as its one of the areas that officials do seem get the vast majority of calls right

Why bother changing something that isn't broken?

Thought I heard somewhere that the offside rule is being changed at the end of this season. Back to what it used to be or something like

Thought I heard somewhere that the offside rule is being changed at the end of this season. Back to what it used to be or something like

Back to how it used to be was horrific basically

Far, far better now and very rarely called wrongly - so i can't see why anybody thinks its confusing.

Guest Foxhill Owl

Linesman 5 yards away gives us a goal kick ref was 25, 30 yards away gives them a free kick don't get it how can the ref be so far away yet give it when his linesmen was closer and disnt flag .

Guest Distraught!

Taking away all of their discretionary powers is, in my opinion, adding to the general decline in refereeing ability. They should be able to apply decisions according to the circumstances they see in front of them. By all means, issue guidelines to them but the referees should be given some discretion how they apply the guidelines. It gets boring watching some walking ego book nine players and send off others mostly for ridiculous things like celebrating a goal or the slightest contact when making a tackle.

Genuine question here that will require honesty. Do we really always get the rough end of the stick from refs at Hillsborough?

We are seemingly talking about how poor the ref was every week. Even when we win it seems like the ref was poor. How does that compare to last season? From memory we had some bad ones, but mainly when we lost or drew due to playing til Huddersfield scored. So are we moaning more because we are losing more? Or are refs getting worse?

Saturdays ref was biased in my opinion and I'm obviously biased towards Wednesday....but some of the decisions were shocking. When Lita clearly beat the last man and the flag went up was ridiculous.

6 minutes added on was a joke.

There aught to be an independent official who scrutinises the game and challenges the FA. That way, Refs might be more inclined to see more! Although it could also mean they blow for every decision?

Cyber Refs that's the answer....Refbots

Contrary to popular belief, Refs arent "biased". No one hates us, there is no conspiracy at the FA to give us poo poo refs. Get a grip people - we arent the Blunts and should not whine about nonexistant issues.

Fact is, referreeing standards ARE getting worse in the football league.

Two main reasons:

1. Any football league level ref who shows even a modicum of ability and sense while reffing gets fast tracked to the Prem.

2. There are less referrees at the grass roots. Football league refs dont just suddenly decide that they want to be refs and get to ref a league 1 game the week after. They will ref games at the lower levels, regional leagues, evostick etc and the better ones will get promoted to the next "level".

Problem with having less refs sticking with it (see numerous examples of refs being assualted) is that the talent pool is much smaller to choose from. When the talent pool is smaller, refs are promoted higher than they should be because refs are needed. When the ones from this smaller pool who suceed are snapped up by the prem, then we are left with the also-rans and those promoted from below who are not up to it.

The song should really be:

"poo poo refs! They've only got poo poo refs!'