Referees - What Is Going On With Them?

Guest Sheff Owl

Ref decisions ruin most of the game for me nowadays, I'd rather see refs making a quick decision based on video footage.

Video footage means that the opinion of the ref passes to the opinion of a video ref

An opinion nonetheless

How may things are conclusively cleared up quickly and incontrovertibly by video evidence?

Sorry scram but I've seen about 10 pens tonight and at least 9 of them were obvious dives.

Not asking for 100% from refs but 50% would be great progress.

Got no problem with linesmen and I think refs are poorly instructed and ill supported by the authorities but a dive is a dive and anyone who's played a game of football should be able to spot one.

Video footage means that the opinion of the ref passes to the opinion of a video ref

An opinion nonetheless

How may things are conclusively cleared up quickly and incontrovertibly by video evidence?

I mean things like diving, take a quick look at the footage from different angles, if its a blatant dive get the yellow straight out.

Bloody goal kicks when it should have been a corner too, seeing who the ball came off last. The basics.

Infact - Diving should be a straight red, trying to cheat the game.

Sorry scram but I've seen about 10 pens tonight and at least 9 of them were obvious dives.

Not asking for 100% from refs but 50% would be great progress.

Got no problem with linesmen and I think refs are poorly instructed and ill supported by the authorities but a dive is a dive and anyone who's played a game of football should be able to spot one.

I would argue that point all day

There are some obvious dives but many are very difficult to call - even more so in real time, instantaneously and with the pressure of refs keeping on the retained list bearing down on them

Just watching the FL show and Deadman booked the wrong Huddersfield player after a scuffle where he produced 2 yellows.

It would have been the Huddersfield players 2 yellow. He booked Vaughan who went potty because he was nowhere near the incident but other players were obviously telling him to shut the flip up.

flipping rubbish the lot of them.

Guest Wilko warrior

We haven't had a decent ref yet this season .. The sending of was pathetic . Lost count how many times lita was ragged about today .. But it doesn't matter how hard he tried to gift Barnsley the points , the massive still prevailed !!! Up the owls !!!!

One easy and quick thing you can do to take some pressure off is to have timekeepers like rugby, the ref shows when to stop clock, when to start it and the stadium clock is the game clock. Would get away from the joke that injury time has become.

I also would like to see two referees one for each half like field hockey or basketball the game is too fast for them now to keep up.

Guest davet30

He was completely throw today. He got decision after decision wrong.

Reyt embarrasment

lol when they had that free kick on the edge of our box in the first half 'n' a Tyke was complaining about the distance of our wall so he went 'n' paced it out again only to find it was in the right place - T@sser

There is a serious disconnect between the refs and the authorities.

Simple as that really - the refs want to keep "ownership" of officiating but it needs to be done in conjunction with the demands of the game

They don't help themselves by being so inconsistent so often - and little is done about it - if anything

Decisions about fouls etc are opinions

Opinions will always be just that - and opinions can't be argued objectively - not while using the same context that the refs have to use at the time of the decision - ie, one look and a snap decision to be made.

It is a thankless task but they don't help themselves 

This. As I said against Cardiff (who I thought was a worse ref), I love a moan about the re on a a matchday - part of the game. Offsides can be debatable as can many decisions. But the amount of farcical decisions we have is insane. But they have no accountability. The refs want to be in control and the FA as are useless as ever.

Guest Sheff Owl

Referees do not help themselves, take yesterday how many fouls did Barnsley make and not one booking but Buxton makes a foul and he was so quick to show a yellow card and the foul was no worse than anything that Barnsley did.

They are so inconsistent and we seem to have them every week and it's getting stupid.

Dave Jones made a documentation and sent it to FA or whoever about all the decision that refs have failed to see and apparently he was told the ref was wrong in some instances and what happened to the ref?

The main thing is refs should be made to be held accountable and they don't, like i said they just seem to think it's fine to drop them down the league for a match and then the following week they are back up doing the same things.

I mean things like diving, take a quick look at the footage from different angles, if its a blatant dive get the yellow straight out.

Bloody goal kicks when it should have been a corner too, seeing who the ball came off last. The basics.

Infact - Diving should be a straight red, trying to cheat the game.

I agree diving should be a red, which would virtually eradicate the issue.

However, the problem would arise where a player is genuinely fouled for what should be a penalty but the ref disagrees and the innocent player gets a red card.

Diving should be punished by the FA retrospectively, with video evidence. If proven ti be a blatant attempt ti cheat, they get a red card, ban and fine.

They're a private little club with no accountability to the FA.

This year is the worst standard I've ever seen, in all leagues.

and it's getting worse year on year...

have a look through the goals in our division, there's some appalling penalty's given... 

The thing is with referees you are asking them to do an impossible job.  They cannot see everything that happens and they will make mistakes.  I would argue you could probably throw a coin for most decisions and get as many right as what are seeing now.  In the olden days (only about twenty years ago) it wasn't that big a deal if decisions were wrong because a) there was not as much money riding on it and b) decisions were not able to be analysed on 50 inch 3D plasma screen TVs again and again.  

We have an archaic system of refereeing for the game it is being applied to.  Football has advanced faster than refereeing.  What is needed is technological assistance and a simplification of the rules.  A few quick suggestions that would improve the game overnight:

- Stop the clock when the ball is not in play and have matches played over two 30 minute halves.  Would cut time wasting out immediately.  

- Offside is offside.  

- Medical staff can enter the field of play at any moment without the game having to be stopped.  Once the physio is able to assess the situation he can decide whether to stop play.  Abuse of the rule leads to points deductions.  

- Goal line technology needs to be introduced.

- 4th official can make referee aware of incidents he has missed so he can officiate accordingly.

Sorry but that is total garbage, I still have a salty taste in my mouth over the way in which we we diddled out of a Cup Final against Blackburn Rovers at Main Road and that was 53 years ago. The riches in the game then were just as important then as they are now, The Glory was all important then the players were happy with this their only bonus being a mittfull of Wembley tickets which the authorities turned a blind eye to.

The truth is the FA have stood idly by while FIFA have gradually tried to complicate the game on one hand and sanitize it on the other. All the refs had to do back then was ensure no fighting, no maliscious intent and make calls on an 'Offside' rule that was universally understood.  

Our FA stood by motionless as the game borne of Sheffield and developed throughout the UK was wretled away from us by people of the elk of Blatter. The FA could and should have become the catalyst for developing the  worlds ruling body in the sport but now have been reduced to playing second fiddle to Sky. Lets hope Greg Dyke can bring about some change before it's too late.

Finally, Sky, in their contracts with football, should be as insistant on refs giving post match interviews as they are on the managers doing theirs. 

The offside rule isn't complicated - and there are very few controversial goals scored regarding offside as its one of the areas that officials do seem get the vast majority of calls right

Why bother changing something that isn't broken?

Just to reiterate our penalty yesterday was an utter joke. It hit bobby hassel on the chin from 2 yards away and the official didnt give it even though he was closest.

Nice to have some luck though.

Salisbury was the one who gave Hudds 2 penalties and sent Mattock off. Now Buxton.

Have to say that I thought Buxton's first yellow wad nailed on. A clear case of deliberate foul to stop a break.

As for the penalty and second yellow, having seen them both again on FLS, both were ridiculous, especially the penalty.

In fairness though, this bloke wasn't even in the bottom 25% of refs we've had this season. That really is saying something.