Ellis Rimmer

This is a preview of the squad pre 1935 Cup Final.  Ellis is 20 seconds into it.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/screen-interview-with-sheffield-wednesday/query/wildcard

I have done some research into Mark Hooper's family as well.  He had a son and a couple of grandsons.  The Hoopers originated from Tiverton in Devon then worked in the iron industry at Kingwinsford in Staffs before moving to Darlington to work as Iron Puddlers.  Mark was born there.

How old is Brown "the goalie" he looks about 60, plenty of time left for Kirkland  :tango:

He may have died young but his spirit hasn't, legend for the club. Only just came across this thread, love having a read up on the star players we never got to see. If only they knew they'd still be in our hearts and minds all these years later...

Edited by ohgoditsjames

41 minutes ago, ohgoditsjames said:

He may have died young but his spirit hasn't, legend for the club. Only just came across this thread, love having a read up on the star players we never got to see. If only they knew they'd still be in our hearts and minds all these years later...

My link doesn't work for that poster link. 

Would love to see the picture 

58 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

My link doesn't work for that poster link. 

Would love to see the picture 

There you go :-)

My other favourite is a poster designed by female artist Herry Perry for the 1935 FA Cup Final which lists trams and buses as well as the nearest underground stations for the fans making their way to Wembley Stadium. The poster is a collage with three figures in different footballing actions using bus tickets to construct the figures. She also designed posters to direct sports fans to other major events including Wimbledon. Perry was one of a number of women working in the advertising industry in the 1920's and 1930's. She also designed posters for the Great Western Railway and London Midland and Scottish Railway as well as being a book illustrator, designer of playing cards and pub signs! 

EX70097531_zpsgidoubpp.jpeg

3 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

There you go :-)

My other favourite is a poster designed by female artist Herry Perry for the 1935 FA Cup Final which lists trams and buses as well as the nearest underground stations for the fans making their way to Wembley Stadium. The poster is a collage with three figures in different footballing actions using bus tickets to construct the figures. She also designed posters to direct sports fans to other major events including Wimbledon. Perry was one of a number of women working in the advertising industry in the 1920's and 1930's. She also designed posters for the Great Western Railway and London Midland and Scottish Railway as well as being a book illustrator, designer of playing cards and pub signs! 

EX70097531_zpsgidoubpp.jpeg

That is superb.

And thanks dor for the info behind their design, Dunsby.

Looks fantastic and what a great collage idea.

• Like 1

On 15/06/2013 at 15:36, Neepsend said:

Worked briefly in Liverpool and came across a property transfer Ellis had signed.  Recall it was dated 1940.    Says "Ellis Rimmer Publican" and gives an address in Sheffield.  Related to some terraced houses in Liverpool he must have invested in during his playing days.  Trying to lay my hands on a copy of it.  His signature had a big curvaceous "E".

Ellis scored 22 goals not to mention countless assists during 1930/1 season  - a record goal tally for any Owls Winger.  Season before when we won Championship again but by 10 points he scored 21.

Hi There (Thank you to admin for allowing me to become a board member and comment. Northampton fan here.) totally coincidently I bought a fantastic batch of Mark Hooper and Sheffield Wednesday memorabilia last week with quite a bit centred around the 1935 FA Cup win. So I visited this site to see if I could gain any info on some of the pieces and came across some great threads including this one.I thought I'd post this signed photo of Ellis Rimmer that was amongst the memorabilia to show the curvacious letter E you mentioned. It's a wonderful old photo and I'm guessing Ellis hadn't long joined the club when it was taken as there was an accompanying photo of a Tommy Walker also looking very young. I shall be selling the memorabilia on ebay in a couple of weeks or so hoping it will go to Wednesday fans but if anyone is interested and would like to make an offer thats good. I'll put some other photos on the stuff on some other relevant threads if that's ok with admin.

IMG_3676.JPG

On 16/06/2013 at 23:52, Neepsend said:

They still have his medals.  Lesley told me the players were offered the alternative of cash but Ellis opted for medals.  Caps were not specifically mentioned.  Assume same is position but will ask.  Will ask about other memorabilia.  Ellis had told her about his lucky horse shoe and the 35 Cup Final.  Its the first thing she looked at in Wednesday! I sent her.   I inferred they may not still have that.

Rimmer scored in every game in the 1935 cup run including two in the final....both scored in the last five minutes or so.

Legend has it that he was given a miniature horse shoe before the Third Round game against Oldham which he wore inside his sock and he wore it for each of the games. But for the Final it was left behind and someone had to fetch it from the hotel so he didn't get it until much later.....some stories say at half time, some say well into the second half.