Ellis Rimmer

Had quite a long chat last night with Warwick Rimmer who started and remains heavily involved in Tranmere's academy.  

He is Ellis's nephew and my fifth cousin twice removed in the Family Tree.

He was born 3 years after Ellis retired from football so has no recollection of him playing but recalls what a hero and inspiration Ellis was to him and his mates and he came to watch and encourage them in Birkenhead where Ellis had by then returned from his second Sheffield Pub.

Jobless Ellis set up a bookies with his brother Syd (Warwick's Dad).  Then Ellis took the Crown Pub at West Derby.  Ellis moved onto a pub in Freshfield near Formby where he eventually had an unexpected heart attack.  He had another one the next day which killed him. He was  58.

Warwick played 500 ish games for Bolton who he captained when he went to Crewe as player coach in 1973. He played about 120 times for them being nearly 40 when he hung his boots up.

He managed Sierra Leone

He played in England U21's with my Dad's Second Cousin Dave Gaskell (ManU's youngest first teamer) and told me a lot about how football had changed massively not least in the care of injured players.

Apparently it was Ellis's back that finished him at Wednesday and confined him to 4 games at Ipswich later.

Edited by Neepsend

Had quite a long chat last night with Warwick Rimmer who started and remains heavily involved in Tranmere's academy.  

He is Ellis's nephew and my fifth cousin twice removed in the Family Tree.

He was born 3 years after Ellis retired from football so has no recollection of him playing but recalls what a hero and inspiration Ellis was to him and his mates and he came to watch and encourage them in Birkenhead where Ellis had by then returned from his second Sheffield Pub.

Jobless Ellis set up a bookies with his brother Syd (Warwick's Dad).  Then Ellis took the Crown Pub at West Derby.  Ellis moved onto a pub in Freshfield near Formby where he eventually had an unexpected heart attack.  He had another one the next day which killed him. He was  58.

Warwick played 500 ish games for Bolton who he captained when he went to Crewe as player coach in 1973. He played about 120 times for them being nearly 40 when he hung his boots up.

He managed Sierra Leone

He played in England U21's with my Dad's Second Cousin Dave Gaskell (ManU's youngest first teamer) and told me a lot about how football had changed massively not least in the care of injured players.

Apparently it was Ellis's back that finished him at Wednesday and confined him to 4 games at Ipswich later.

Warwick Rimmer,  Ellis's Footballer Nephew, signed up as a Guest to my Ancestry Family Tree earlier today.

shows how football has changed...for the worse. from normal men in touch with the guy on the terraces to complete tw@ts like Madine whose only contact with the working man is a right hook!

Why does the Pathe newsreel state "Bramall Lane Sheffield" ?

only way the Piggies ever made the news

This is a preview of the squad pre 1935 Cup Final. Ellis is 20 seconds into it.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/screen-interview-with-sheffield-wednesday/query/wildcard

I have done some research into Mark Hooper's family as well. He had a son and a couple of grandsons. The Hoopers originated from Tiverton in Devon then worked in the iron industry at Kingwinsford in Staffs before moving to Darlington to work as Iron Puddlers. Mark was born there.

Class.

Surely the right back Niblow (spelling) looks a bit like Megson!

Sorry about empty boxes above (damned I phone!)

Just wanted to say thanks for referring us to that London Transport poster...just bought it.

To all the contributors to this great thread, thanks for the images and info. 

Ellis Rimmer. I can only imagine how emotional Sheffield people must have been about this man, these players. As someone who still has a heavy heart about 1993, I can only look at this man and think what a hero. I still dream about us winning the FA Cup....I can't imagine it will ever come true now.

Come on share Dixies real first name ?

William Ralph "Dixie" Dean

Yes he liked to be known as "Bill"

My Mum's Uncle by marriage played with him at Everton between 1930 and 1932 before playing 183 League games at Preston then a top five side. Years ago I was shown 2 team photos with them both on.

As left back he'd have had the thankless task of policing Mark Hooper but he'd have played Ellis without realising he was a distant blood relative of his Wife.

Edited by Neepsend