Ellis Rimmer

that team in early to mid 30s must be our greatest ever side,packed with England internationals, 30 goal strikers ,goal scoring wingers ,and a defence that just trod all over the opposition by all accounts......we,ll never see the likes that's for sure .

I agree.  Next best era is 1959 - 1964 when Springett,  Swan, Kay, Layne and Fantham were at their peak.  Peter Swan's book is a great read.

Not surprising Ellis was a great pianist.

His Mum Edith (who came from near Avonmouth. Bristol) was pretty assertive and made him practice the piano two hours before letting him go out to play.

His last pub was at Freshfield near Formby in Lancashire.  He died very suddenly and unexpectedly of a heart attack but didnt change much in his appearance to the end.

He's distantly blood related to me and I speak to his daughter Lesley from time to time.  I bought her a copy of Wednesday! which she is reading from cover to cover.

Apparently Ellis spent time in Gibraltar after he finished playing. Lesley can remember living at his Sheffield pubs - he had 2 in succession - for years.  He also had a bookmaking business with his brother Sydney. 

Sydney's son Warwick Rimmer made over made over 460 league appearances for Bolton and captained their 1973 promotion side,  the then played about 150 games for Crewe.  He managed the Sierra Leone national side then set up and ran Tranmere's academy for over 20 years.  Lesley tells me he still helps part time.

Ellis is front row extreme right of photo below having just helped Birkenhead Schoolboys win 4-0

dixie-dean-with-other-members-of-birkenh

Brilliant - thanks very much for that!

This was one of the pubs he ran in Sheffield - anyone know  this?

Ellis J Rimmer

Played for Sheffield Wednesday 1928-1938

Ran

Hallamshire House

49 Common Side, Crookes

Open 1893 Closed

1948 Ellis J Rimmer

Thanks for the info.  I've added it to his life events in the Family Tree.  Probably the first time Owlstalk has gone down as a source on Ancestry.co.uk.  Did you get it from an archive of registered licensees?

Thanks for the info.  I've added it to his life events in the Family Tree.  Probably the first time Owlstalk has gone down as a source on Ancestry.co.uk.  Did you get it from an archive of registered licensees?

It was from a thread of mine on a Sheffield History site about Sheffield ex footballers who ran pubs!

I am compiling a list of questions to ask Lesley and Warwick (Ellis's Pro Footballer Nephew) about Ellis when I next speak to them.  If anyone has any to add to that list perhaps they could post to here and I will post response to here.  Lesley and Warwick were in their mid twenties when Ellis died

Edited by Neepsend

I am compiling a list of questions to ask Lesley and Warwick (Ellis's Pro Footballer Nephew) about Ellis when I next speak to them.  If anyone has any to add to that list perhaps they could post to here and I will post response to here.  Lesley and Warwick were in their mid twenties when Ellis died

Do the family still have his 1935 FA Cup Winner's medal?  Do they have any other Wednesday related memorabilia ? D they still have any of his England Caps?

They still have his medals.  Lesley told me the players were offered the alternative of cash but Ellis opted for medals.  Caps were not specifically mentioned.  Assume same is position but will ask.  Will ask about other memorabilia.  Ellis had told her about his lucky horse shoe and the 35 Cup Final.  Its the first thing she looked at in Wednesday! I sent her.   I inferred they may not still have that.