Ellis Rimmer

Wednesday's hero of the 1935 FA Cup win died on this day in 1965.  Rimmer scored 140 goals in 418 appearances for @swfc, he also scored 2 goals for England making 4 appearances.  He joined Wednesday and took part in the "Great Escape" season in 1928, won League Championship medals in 1929 and 1930 and starring in the 1935 FA Cup Final win when Wednesday defeated West Brom 4-2.  Rimmer scored in every round of the cup (eight in total) including the 2 in the final. 

Cup Final pathe news video

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/cup-final/query/sheffield+wednesday

final1935_zps599b1994.jpg

1935b-1.jpg

1935-3_zps151e1310.jpg

Between 1931 and 1935 Wednesday also finished 3rd in the first division on 4 occasions.  Truly a Legend from a Golden Era.

rimmer_zps980a7d34.jpg

RimmerE_zps406a80aa.jpg

rimmercopy2_zps614d74a2.jpg

rimmercopy_zpsd5b99dc3.jpg

Ellis in an England shirt & cap with other Wednesday Internationals

Wednesday_internationals-2_zpsc66e8166.j

Ellis was an accomplished Jazz pianist!  & here he is playing !

rimmercopy3_zps4b6537f1.jpg

After scoring two goals in the FA Cup Final "he returned to Sheffield, took part in the celebrations then opened at the Empire Theatre, playing the piano with two friends, Morrell and Melville, in an act called Harmony Hotel. When he appeared on stage on the first night he was greeted with rapturous applause"

After he left Wednesday he played for Ipswich later returning to run the Hallamshire House public house in Sheffield.  He died at the early age of 58 on this day in 1965.

Edited by dunsbyowl

Guest spongejosesquarejaw

Who's that bottom left in the England Internationals photo, looks a bit of a knuckler to me.

It is Jack Brown @swfc keeper for 13 years from 1922-1937  - 507 appearances and 6 England Caps - all the same honours as Rimmer plus a 2nd Division championship in 1925/6!

who,s the others ?.....i,m guessing the one in the middle front is blenkinsop not sure about the rest .

Not surprising Ellis was a great pianist.

His Mum Edith (who came from near Avonmouth. Bristol) was pretty assertive and made him practice the piano two hours before letting him go out to play.

His last pub was at Freshfield near Formby in Lancashire.  He died very suddenly and unexpectedly of a heart attack but didnt change much in his appearance to the end.

He's distantly blood related to me and I speak to his daughter Lesley from time to time.  I bought her a copy of Wednesday! which she is reading from cover to cover.

Apparently Ellis spent time in Gibraltar after he finished playing. Lesley can remember living at his Sheffield pubs - he had 2 in succession - for years.  He also had a bookmaking business with his brother Sydney. 

Sydney's son Warwick Rimmer made over made over 460 league appearances for Bolton and captained their 1973 promotion side,  the then played about 150 games for Crewe.  He managed the Sierra Leone national side then set up and ran Tranmere's academy for over 20 years.  Lesley tells me he still helps part time.

Ellis is front row extreme right of photo below having just helped Birkenhead Schoolboys win 4-0

dixie-dean-with-other-members-of-birkenh

Great stuff. My grandad would have been a teenager during this cup final. I wished I'd asked him of his memories of the final. Love seeing old footage of us. I know it was a long time ago when we last won the FA cup or the league but these achievements cannot be taken away and make up the very history of our club. Still Yorkshire's most successful club.

This is a preview of the squad pre 1935 Cup Final.  Ellis is 20 seconds into it.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/screen-interview-with-sheffield-wednesday/query/wildcard

I have done some research into Mark Hooper's family as well.  He had a son and a couple of grandsons.  The Hoopers originated from Tiverton in Devon then worked in the iron industry at Kingwinsford in Staffs before moving to Darlington to work as Iron Puddlers.  Mark was born there.

that team in early to mid 30s must be our greatest ever side,packed with England internationals, 30 goal strikers ,goal scoring wingers ,and a defence that just trod all over the opposition by all accounts......we,ll never see the likes that's for sure .

Worked briefly in Liverpool and came across a property transfer Ellis had signed.  Recall it was dated 1940.    Says "Ellis Rimmer Publican" and gives an address in Sheffield.  Related to some terraced houses in Liverpool he must have invested in during his playing days.  Trying to lay my hands on a copy of it.  His signature had a big curvaceous "E".

Ellis scored 22 goals not to mention countless assists during 1930/1 season  - a record goal tally for any Owls Winger.  Season before when we won Championship again but by 10 points he scored 21.

Edited by Neepsend

I was fortunate enough to have a baby son 5 weeks ago today & we named him Ellis.

Ellis was the missus' Grandad's name, but I was well aware Ellis Rimmer had scored twice in the final the last time we won the FA Cup which I thought gave it a nice Wednesday touch!

Ellis Rimmer is a Southport name going back to early  1600's at least. Me and Lesley (Ellis' daughter) have come to the conclusion that the Family originated in Southport area so dying in Formby he had pretty much returned to the Family's roots.   My great uncle by marriage made 134 League Appearances for the great Preston side of the 30's and had a lot of footballing Cousins in Southport called Rimmer  including Albert Rimmer who played for Southport, Orient and Accrington.  Working back from the 1911 Census turned out that Ellis and I had same Ancestors who lived in St Helens and he did not have the supposed recent connection to Albert.or any other of my great uncle's footballing Rimmers. 

I was fortunate enough to have a baby son 5 weeks ago today & we named him Ellis.

Ellis was the missus' Grandad's name, but I was well aware Ellis Rimmer had scored twice in the final the last time we won the FA Cup which I thought gave it a nice Wednesday touch!

Congratulations on your arrival by the way and a great choice of name!  I travel to games with a South Stand season ticket holder who I am also distantly related to but mainly and by blood on my Dad's side.  Ellis was the great schoolboy hero of his Dad who died back in 2000. I say to him his Dad could never have dreamed he'd end up sharing the same Family Tree as Ellis.