Antonio or Marshall?

Guest JonTheOwl66

I think the Foxestalk opinion of Marshall shows that its not just Wednesday fans. Brunt, Whelan, Antonio have all come under fire and they are all quality players who just lacked consistency early in their career (in Whelan and Brunt's case).

Marshall is a quality player too, two footed, doesnt need pace and can find gaps in defences by thinking outside the box a bit more than some of our quicker wingers might. Leicester must be truly spoilt if they are getting on Marshall's case. Pulis dropped a huge one in selling Marshall and spending twice as much on Kightly (an older crocked version of Marshall).

Marshall is better than Kightly in my opinion. The guy will play in the Premier League one day, and will play for England.

Terrific attitude, wonderfully talented, and I'd welcome the guy back here with open arms. 

I wonder whether a lack of pace may stop Marshall from reaching the heights that some of the faster wingers have ie Lennon and co. I dont think he needs pace to be effective, but when you look at the top players now they are usually over 6 ft tall and rapid.

Guest JonTheOwl66

I'd add though that Antonio does have that cleverness about him too, if you look at the cross for Lita at home to Palace, he totally dummies their full back into thinking hes going for Buxton on the overlap, the fullback moves just enough to give Antonio the space to ping a dead ball cross onto Lita's head.

I think that is as good as anything Marshall does, but Antonio doesnt always do it as much, if Antonio develops that side of his game together with his pace and power then you have a great player on your hands, almost unplayable.

Marshall is one of those players you just need to watch throughout the entire game to understand how good he is. He's a classic winger (much like Treacy) in the sense he takes the ball up to full-backs, puts them off balance with a shimmy then drives a cross in. Simple. Nothing fancy, just does his job consistently fantastic. 

Antonio is pace and power. He bursts past full-backs, shoves them around, bullies them. But sometimes lacks that consistency that someone like Marshall offers with deliveries. 

There is no doubt Marshall is a superior footballer.. But if Antonio keeps up this number of assists and goals, he will turn into a special player. 

I think the Foxestalk opinion of Marshall shows that its not just Wednesday fans. Brunt, Whelan, Antonio have all come under fire and they are all quality players who just lacked consistency early in their career (in Whelan and Brunt's case).

Marshall is a quality player too, two footed, doesnt need pace and can find gaps in defences by thinking outside the box a bit more than some of our quicker wingers might. Leicester must be truly spoilt if they are getting on Marshall's case. Pulis dropped a huge one in selling Marshall and spending twice as much on Kightly (an older crocked version of Marshall).

I rate Kightly, been unlucky with injuries but seems to have featured quite alot for Stoke this season. Always impresses me when he plays. Although I agree cannot understand why Stoke got rid of Marshall for so little money aswell, unless the player wanted really wanted to leave.

Will definitely play in the Prem next season, with Leicester or without them, but wouldn't go as far as saying he'll play for England. I know he has featured for the U'21s where he impressed, but with the influx of good English wingers coming through I doubt he'll ever play for the full national team.

Guest JonTheOwl66

I rate Kightly, been unlucky with injuries but seems to have featured quite alot for Stoke this season. Always impresses me when he plays. Although I agree cannot understand why Stoke got rid of Marshall for so little money aswell, unless the player wanted really wanted to leave.

Will definitely play in the Prem next season, with Leicester or without them, but wouldn't go as far as saying he'll play for England. I know he has featured for the U'21s where he impressed, but with the influx of good English wingers coming through I doubt he'll ever play for the full national team.

Who?

I've always rated Kightly too, but I think they have similar styles and Kightly never quite hit the heights expected of him as a youngster. Marshall is at a similar stage now where things are expected of him, just seemed an odd decision.

I didnt realise there were that many new wingers about i.e youngsters? Genuine question. I thought Marshall would be in that category, who knows, maybe Antonio will make a late push one day.

I've always rated Kightly too, but I think they have similar styles and Kightly never quite hit the heights expected of him as a youngster. Marshall is at a similar stage now where things are expected of him, just seemed an odd decision.

I didnt realise there were that many new wingers about i.e youngsters? Genuine question. I thought Marshall would be in that category, who knows, maybe Antonio will make a late push one day.

Wilfried Zaha, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain, Raheem Sterling, Tom Ince spring to mind.

I reckon Marshall could do a job playing behind the striker though, if England decide to stop playing with out and out wingers. Would be suprised if he ever got an England call up, but who knows.

Fair enough, they are good shouts. All very similar though. I think Marshall would offer an alternative to that style, but at the very top level perhaps the lack of pace is an issue. Even more industrious wingers like Milner struggle to shine because they arent 100m sprinters.

Antonio is a different kind of player - but his game is a lot more about terrifying defenders than Marshall's. He breaks width more effectively and runs across the line of defenders - i know Watford were terrified of him the other night and i know scouting reports had earmarked him as dangerous - so it proved

Come on fella's - we all appreciate Ben10 and what he did for us - but England?!?!

He needs to start ripping up this league before he's talked about as either premier or England class

Currently nowhere near - he is a million miles behind the likes of Zaha, Lennon, Walcott, Oxlade, Milner, Johnson et al. 

If i had to choose one it would be Antonio - no question.

Anyone think we'll struggle to keep hold of Antonio in the summer?

Surely they'll be a number of clubs sniffing around.

Double figures from midfield will attract interest. jones has already described him as having the potential to fetch big money and was in the press recently saying he tells the better players to strive for the top either with us or with a "bigger club".

I hope we get to develop him more before we sell though

I'm a big Ben fan, but on that showing today we got the better man.

Antonio as raw as ever was a constant thorn in their side. Marshall on the other hand was ineffective

So you are basing Marshall's ability on just the one appearance?

How many off days has Antonio had this season?

:rolleyes: