Bruce Grobbelaar

Guest taffowl71

I might be wrong but I'm sure grob started one game. A league cup game-saints??

Clough started up front with guy whittingham away at grimsby in 97 lost 2 nil

No Grob didnt play a first team game for us. He did play reserve games.

No Grob didnt play a first team game for us. He did play reserve games.

Yes Clough played up front V Grimsby in league cup but that was just before Grob arrived.

Guest taffowl71

Grobs, as far as I can remember played 1 game for us, he wore that pinkish/patterned face mask thing. We lost 1-0 to someone (I think it may have been Southampton, but not sure). Fairly sure we lost 1-0 with him in goal in a game at Hillsborough.

No Grob never played a first team game for us. With regards Southampton you may be thinking of us playing them in the league cup a few years earlier. Bruce played for Southampton in that game with his face mask on as he had broken a cheek bone & he featured on the front cover of the programme (for that game or the next one).

Guest taffowl71

I was there, so no you were not alone. I can't remember who the opposition were. As a goalkeeper myself Grobbelaar and Southall, (plus Hodge), stood out as my idols in the mid-80s. To see him in our reserves and I think he wore the goalkeeper leggings and how poor his kicking and agility were reallly didn't help my memories of him. In a way I found it very sad, even as a Wednesdayite what he had become really had no influence on us.

I was there, so no you were not alone. I can't remember who the opposition were. As a goalkeeper myself Grobbelaar and Southall, (plus Hodge), stood out as my idols in the mid-80s. To see him in our reserves and I think he wore the goalkeeper leggings and how poor his kicking and agility were reallly didn't help my memories of him. In a way I found it very sad, even as a Wednesdayite what he had become really had no influence on us.

Yes i was there too . I have the programme so i will look dig it out & then we will know the opposition. Seem to think we had a polish guy up front on trial (may have been another games though same season)

Was it at the same time we were rocking Barry Horne as our "midfield general".....?

Barry Horne was with us in the relegation season 99-00

Thanks mate

Was going mad - thought id imagined it

Owlstalk Shop

Guest taffowl71

No Grob never played a first team game for us. With regards Southampton you may be thinking of us playing them in the league cup a few years earlier. Bruce played for Southampton in that game with his face mask on as he had broken a cheek bone & he featured on the front cover of the programme (for that game or the next one).

The game in question was 26 th October 1994 in the league cup V Southampton at home. We won 1-0 (bart-williams). Grobbalaar featured for southampton that game sporting his face mask.