Bruce Grobbelaar

wasn't that just after he got cleared of the match fixing thing with No-Hans Segers?

seem to remember Have I Got News For You making a joke about Bruce letting them know the result of Wednesday's game the following week...

Do you remember the late goal Everton scored that kept them up when Segers was in goal for Wimbledon? I'm in no position to say he didn't make his best effort to keep it out, but...

Do you remember the late goal Everton scored that kept them up when Segers was in goal for Wimbledon? I'm in no position to say he didn't make his best effort to keep it out, but...

From a tackle? Still, the devil makes work for idle Hans...

Was he on the bench in a cup tie against Grimsby at their place? I seem to remember him warming up and I think Clough played and I remember an injured* Ritchie Humphries walking out of McDonalds which was on the corner at the end of the road teh ground is on. True story!

*he might not have been injured but he was 100% walking out of maccies.

Edited by mrgund

I remember him being on the pitch before we got battered 6-1 at Old Trafford doing hand stands whilst everybody else warmed up 

I remember him doing handstands in front of us, away at old trafford. Think we got tonked 6-1 that day. When we scored, we celebrated like we had just won the fa cup.

:picnic:

Edited by Boy_Wonder_SWFC

Guest taffowl71

Grobbalaar was  an unused sub against Derby (H), Villa (A), Spurs (A), Palace (H) & Man utd (A) in late septemember to early november 1997. He missed an away game at Everton somewhere in between that run of games.

Clough was at Hillsborough & played slightly before Brucie but he Started the game V Derby & was an unused Sub in the Villa game.

He was free agent that season but had been at Plymouth the season before. His match fixing fiasco was in 1994.

My overriding memory is the Imre Varadi goal at Anfield when Varadi chased a long ball way out on our right touchline and who should appear but Grobbelaar, who missed his tackle leaving Varadi to hit the empty net from way out there. Incidentally, Sterland then got a late one for a great 2-0 win.

I was in the middle of the kop for that one, tight lipped but weeing myself laughing [inwardly of course!]...never really rated Grob.

Grobbalaar was an unused sub against Derby (H), Villa (A), Spurs (A), Palace (H) & Man utd (A) in late septemember to early november 1997. He missed an away game at Everton somewhere in between that run of games.

Clough was at Hillsborough & played slightly before Brucie but he Started the game V Derby & was an unused Sub in the Villa game.

He was free agent that season but had been at Plymouth the season before. His match fixing fiasco was in 1994.

That home match v derby was awful. Was when hirst went for carbone I think?

Yep. Hence the no-hans flippancy...on the plus side, wasn't it the unwashed from the other side of town who got relegated instead of Everton? Every cloud and all that...

Grobbalaar was an unused sub against Derby (H), Villa (A), Spurs (A), Palace (H) & Man utd (A) in late septemember to early november 1997. He missed an away game at Everton somewhere in between that run of games.

I might be wrong but I'm sure grob started one game. A league cup game-saints??

Clough started up front with guy whittingham away at grimsby in 97 lost 2 nil

Edited by ka58

Anyone else go to the reserve game he played at Hillsborough ?

I know there were others there in the North Stand - it wasn't just me

lol

I was there, so no you were not alone. I can't remember who the opposition were. As a goalkeeper myself Grobbelaar and Southall, (plus Hodge), stood out as my idols in the mid-80s. To see him in our reserves and I think he wore the goalkeeper leggings and how poor his kicking and agility were reallly didn't help my memories of him. In a way I found it very sad, even as a Wednesdayite what he had become really had no influence on us.

Edited by DevOwls Advocate

Yeah and free falling with overpaid primadonas and £30+m debt.

Nah things were great!

i never said things were great but the season grob played we finished 14th with the likes of di canio, carbone playing for us  i hope we are as woeful again very soon .....i would question the freefall as well as the following season we finished 12th which suggests we actually improved  .as for the debt it was no where near 30million when pleat was in charge it built rapidly after wilson took over i,ll grant you but that is not the period  this thread is about .   

Grobs, as far as I can remember played 1 game for us, he wore that pinkish/patterned face mask thing. We lost 1-0 to someone (I think it may have been Southampton, but not sure). Fairly sure we lost 1-0 with him in goal in a game at Hillsborough.

Edited by Maple Staple