Prutton & Coke - Poor

whilst hopefully we will finish the season  a few points clear of the bottom

the simple fact to do a bit better next season  we need 1 and poss 2 mature quality CM and have done for a few years

this will cost money - I'm not holding my breath

Cokes a young lad, times on his side he can develop and improve.

But my overriding thought of him ATM is getting the ball in good positions, seeing the decisive pass but not playing it and going sideways / backwards instead. Not gonna slag him - he's obviously got talent, but he's out of his depth IMO just now.

Giles Coke is 27 in June.

He's at hs peak and nowhere near good enough for The Championship.

They were up against a class Forest midfield tonight and couldn't compete. Sometimes you just have to acknowledge that the opposing players are better. No point slagging our boys off just because of that.

Agree with this, they were out numbered and having to chase shadows for most of the game.

Andy Reid should really have done better in his career with the ability he has, looked slightly slimmer than usual yesterday but

still far too fat for a pro footballer.

Forest were quality last night. What I noticed about them though and it is something we failed to do was show for the ball.

If you watch it back, whenever Forest were in possession they always had a team mate within about 10 yards who had made himself available for the ball.

Our players seemed to just watch each other with the ball before hoofing it.

I like to see us revert back to 4-5-1 so in the midfield players are naturally closer together resulting in hopefully more passing.

I agree we looked second best in midfield but they were overrun and against some very good players.

fair play though they never stopped chasing and at least we isn't let them run through us, very good movement in between outlet midfield and defence and passing opened us up and florist deserve credit for that.

In hindsight Antonio up front for wickham and leer on the right may have helped but I agree that area does need strengthening in the summer with creativity.

The usual 'I always knew they weren't good enough even when we were winning' circulating.

I think they've done a great job but were outplayed by the likes of Guedioura, Lansbury, Majewski, as were the whole of our team. When you have resources like Forest you can sign players like that.

Prutton and Coke were part of the good run but not the only reason, and the same is true of yesterday.

I think for the next few away games Prutton and Coke will be fine. In fact I would leave Lita as a lone striker and stick another defensive type player in there too. Try and keep clean sheets and hope that we maybe nick a goal ourselves.

At home however it offers no creativity. We need someone capable of putting their foot on the ball looking up and offering some decent passes and maybe an attacking theat

Edited by Miffed

The whole balance of the midfield was wrong last night. 

Prutton and Coke were out played by the Forest three who, despite not being "premiership class", are better players than our pair. 

You then have the problem that all our wide players are livewires,prone to giving the ball, prone to making poor decisions and prone to being hit and miss with their deliveries and shooting. 

Oh and then you have the problem that we kept hoofing it up to one strike who is about 5ft tall and another who was way off the pace. 

When you take all those factors into account it is hardy surprising that Forest were knocking it around like Barcelona in the first half. 

The whole balance of the midfield was wrong last night.

Prutton and Coke were out played by the Forest three who, despite not being "premiership class", are better players than our pair.

You then have the problem that all our wide players are livewires,prone to giving the ball, prone to making poor decisions and prone to being hit and miss with their deliveries and shooting.

Oh and then you have the problem that we kept hoofing it up to one strike who is about 5ft tall and another who was way off the pace.

When you take all those factors into account it is hardy surprising that Forest were knocking it around like Barcelona in the first half.

They had more desire than us in the first half espeically, take that into account aswell. We were half asleep and just let them come on to us. It really was a poor first half showing, Forest wanted to get goals we were afraid to show any bravery or commitment. Second half was improved but as the case for the majority of the season we lacked that spark or bit of quality to get us back in the game. Using our physicality has been effective on this run but when we come up against good footballers the difference in quality will show.

Also Reid and Gueidiora are Premier League class IMO. Gueidiora was awesome in every department, quick, strong, good tackler, could pick a pass and could bring the ball forward with confidence, Coke is the cheaper version of him. Reid could have easily forged a career in the Prem with the correct attitude and application, he has started to show what he is capable of in the past couple of years. His movement is top draw.

Surely McCabe and Prutton has to be the middle two against Watford

We lack any creativity with the defensive pair of Coke and Prutton.

They have been a huge boost to us recently, a bit like loan signings giving that initial push, but are now falling back into their set ways of being very limited as a championship pairing 

It was only going to be a matter of time until we played against a good pairing that we would see their weaknesses 

Sally - Gueirdora bombed at Wolves when he was in the Prem and Reid never proved himself in the top flight...though I will concede that he is a very good Championship player on his day. 

I think Jones probably got the shape of the side wrong. It probably needed an extra midfielder in there in place of either Wickham or Leroy Lita. Hindsight however is such a great tool. Given the Forest three in midfield and their on the ball ability it certainly needed the extra body so as a group the side could push forward. The last thing we would have wanted would have been for either one of Coke and Prutton to press the ball leaving ourselves horribly exposed. At least the extra man would have offered greater protection for the side to get near Forest which happened in the second half where the space was nullified and the likes of Reid and Majewski couldn't influence the game as they did in the first half.

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of the Coke and Prutton partnerhip, however, they have played their part in the revitalisation of the Wednesday season and maybe against the 'lesser' teams in this division, they might be good enough, however, again those teams with the extra quality they get shown up because for all their industry and hard work, when they have the ball, they're very limited with it and I'm sure that's why the side reverted to the long aimless hoofs.

The partnership is one which needs a ball playing midfielder and I think that's where McCabe fits in nicely. Someone who is comfortable with the ball at feet because at times last night, Coke and Prutton looked like a walking tragedy when they had possession.

Showed exactly why they couldn't get into our League 1 team today.

Very poor and I genuinely cannot of anything positive they did in the whole game.

They never got near the Forest midfield and didn't even get tackles in.

We are a million miles away from competing at the top end of this division and in 2 weeks time it looks as if we'll be back in the poo .

Right now I'd ****** your hand off for 2 points from the next 3 games.

those two definitely need to be shown the door in the summer,especially G Coke who iam afraid is just a league 1/2 player at best.

One poor game and the knives are out. Oh dear.

Prutton and Coke have been superb since they've come back and now they get overrun by probably the best midfield we've seen at Hillsborough all season and now they're average and useless.

For me Prutton was poor today and Coke was anonymous but it's harsh to suggest they're just League One players, when just last week the majority of Owls fans were singing their praises.

Gueidoiora, Reid and Majewski are Premier League class, some of the best players we've seen here all season btw.

Yep typical Owlstalk thread one poor game and they judged on that game only. Yet previous performances are quickly forgotten. Some are also basing yesterdays performances by Prutton and Coke as the reason we are in a relegation dog fight but forget that they were nowhere near the team during our 8 points in 13 games. They would of course have their darling Barkley back in a heart beat.

Edited by Ronnie Starling

Yep typical Owlstalk thread one poor game and they judged on that game only. Yet previous performances are quickly forgotten. Some are also basing yesterdays performances by Prutton and Coke as the reason we are in a relegation dog fight but forget that they were nowhere near the team during our 8 points in 13 games. They would of course have their darling Barkley back in a heart beat.

Exactly. That is our first defeat with a Prutton and Coke partnership, but of course they should be dropped immediately.