Prutton & Coke - Poor

They were part of a solid midfield four erected by DJ in response to us being constantly overrun in midfield. Now, against better footballing sides, they can be exposed. The way they were deployed, they were effective, but were never really going to be able to take the game to the opposition.

This game was crying out for both Semedo (spatial awareness) and McCabe (ability to pass).

Prutton was dire.

Forest murdered Semedo at their place and would have done the same today, their midfield has too much quality for the likes of him.

Personally I don't think we had the answer in our squad today, their midfield was simply full of higher quality players

One poor game and the knives are out. Oh dear.

Prutton and Coke have been superb since they've come back and now they get overrun by probably the best midfield we've seen at Hillsborough all season and now they're average and useless.

For me Prutton was poor today and Coke was anonymous but it's harsh to suggest they're just League One players, when just last week the majority of Owls fans were singing their praises.

Gueidoiora, Reid and Majewski are Premier League class, some of the best players we've seen here all season btw.

Whilst I get your point it's not exactly true. Coke has been off the boil for a few games now. It's time to try something else.

In Davey boy's bloated, pathetic squad we genuinely have nothing better available than looking back to these league one flops.

Calling for McCabe is a joke. Overweight, slow and soft, Nottingham Forest would have dominated our midfield even moreso with him in.

Tbh they were outplayed today,but you can't fault either of them for their attitude or contribution lately.they were outplayed by better players.do we have significantly better players on the bench?no.at the end of the day we have to accept that we are towards the bottom of the league and this is going to happen from time to time.i won't slate either of them now,nor will I get ridiculously carried away the next time they have a good game

Showed exactly why they couldn't get into our League 1 team today.

Very poor and I genuinely cannot of anything positive they did in the whole game.

They never got near the Forest midfield and didn't even get tackles in.

We are a million miles away from competing at the top end of this division and in 2 weeks time it looks as if we'll be back in the poo .

Right now I'd ****** your hand off for 2 points from the next 3 games.

And they've shown plenty of times in the recent run that they fully deserve to be in our Championship midfield.

They were second-best today but so were the rest of our team and they have been very good lately too.

I get as frustrated as any Wednesday fan at the game when we struggle but they've all been responsible for this great run and I don't believe they deserve to be written off so immediately.

Exactly, they've been doing a job for us and we've been picking up points from sides with better players. That is not always gonna come off and with some tough games coming up, we'd better get our heads around that.

Same problem as before. Both very one dimensional. Have now been found out. There is no real answer in the club. McCabe can pick a pass and needs to be developed for next season. Loan window is still open, is there someone in there? Fed up of watching players walk between the two of them, both stood static watching the ball pass them a yard away, and going and attacking our goal. Prutton hooking the ball over his shoulder to no one in particular. Awful today but I don't think they've been good for a while, just no other option.

I think the fault rests a lot with the manager today. I knew forest would play a diamond formation so presumably he did. Yet he did nothing to combat it tactically and left these two horribly exposed.

I am sorry but team selections like today still make me very nervous about our manager. Hope

he gets it right on tuseday or we could get a right

stuffing

Edited by oldishowl

The problem is broader than that, none of our players are comfortable on the ball. Consequently anyone in possession has few options with no players offering for the ball

I agree. But we have still beat some good teams by stopping them playing through us and hitting them with pace on the break. Today we did not set up to stop them playing .

Not rated this partnership even despite us winning games.

It was because of our defence (and Lita/Antonio) that we've been winning, not our midfield 2. Our ball retention in the middle of the park has been awful, and was even worse today.

McCabe back in for Prutton for me. It's time to give the lad another shot, clearly got some ability in terms of passing and even shooting. It's what we need right now.

I think Prutton is very important to the team because of his influence so I'd keep picking him.

Coke can probably have a rest for me though. Tough call on which of Semedo or McCabe to play instead...Semedo would be well up for the fight but has struggled in the Championship. McCabe is a better player but so inexperienced.

Bit bizarre today. We looked 2 central midfielders and a centre half away from being a good side.

Prutton, Coke and Llerra were all outclassed.

Just one game though.

That said, Coke needs pulling out for a bit, as he's into his usual 4 good games and 6 bad ones spell.