Why are kops called kops?

Guest Hatchethazza

You could also quote the fact that Churchill was the man who set the army onto striking Welsh miners, was the instigator of the first prisoner of war camps, at the end of the 19 century, and cost scores of thousands of lives in the disastrous Gallipoli campaign. Added to which, he was in his time an active member of the Liberal Party, the Tory Party and the Labour Party, so was obviously someone with little loyalty.

Reyt.

p.s. He didn't really say we shall fight them on the kop in his famous speech.  Shhhhhhhhhhh.

Guest PrincessWendy

They all copied us mate including the Scousers. Named by soldiers returning from the Boer war, who said the unusual shape of the Hillsborough terrace reminded them of the Spion Kop (look the battle up on Wiki) .....True story - FACT - we were first.

OK - I'll bite. He must have been a fairly old soldier, 'cause that unusual "shoulder" on the top of our kop was added a long time after he should have made it back from the Boer War. I think it's lost in time who's kop was the first to be called kop. Lots of grounds began to have "kops" fairly close in time together, I think. If that's true then it's unlikely that either Hillsborough or Anfield is the original "kop". Maybe that honour belongs to somewhere really obscure.

Bless you

HRH Wendy

Guest PrincessWendy

Has it aint there anymore there seems little point in arguing about the club who bribed their way to the top league. However, ask any Arse bandit over the age of thirty what their popular end was called and they will tell you "The East Bank" no mention of Kop or reference to Transval.

But isn't that........er, never mind, Nev.

Bless you

HRH Wendy

Oh yes I remember .... the pie and bovril stall was what I called the tea hut...  tiny little wooden hut thing when you consider how many there were on the kop... the sign I remember that well, painted on a brick wall if I remember...

That's right mate - painted in 3' tall letters. (The pie and bovril stall in the corner was almost on the corner flag) I asked my Dad and he gave me the exact same story and also proudly claimed that Sheffield Wednesday were the first English football team to have a recognised Kop. 

Guest PrincessWendy

Sorry chaps but the "Hillsborough's kop is the same shape as Spion Kop" doesn't work - thanks to that swine Dunsby! Here is his archive photo of Hillsborough and it clearly shows a very reguar shaped kop after 1913 (south stand is there). And no, that dark patch in the SE cprner is not terracing, it is the hill behind the terracing descending to Penistone Road (get your magnifying glass!)

So sorry! Tahnk God for Dunsby's incomparable resourcefulness!

Bless you

HRH Wendy

hills2001.jpg

Guest PrincessWendy

Correction - it BECAME the same shape as spion kop but wasn't that shape until a long time after the end of the Boer war and, I think (maybe somebody knows for sure), supporters of lots of clubs (inc Wednesday, I'm sure) were calling one end of their ground "the kop" by the time the picture above was taken.

Short version - I think there's fairly strong evidence that if Hillsborough's kop was the first one to be called "kop" then it wasn't because of it's peculiar shape that has been loved by so many for so long, That came later. (Ours is still the only REAL Kop  though, despite what I said before).

Bless you

HRH Wendy

Edited by PrincessWendy

Sorry chaps but the "Hillsborough's kop is the same shape as Spion Kop" doesn't work - thanks to that swine Dunsby! Here is his archive photo of Hillsborough and it clearly shows a very reguar shaped kop after 1913 (south stand is there). And no, that dark patch in the SE cprner is not terracing, it is the hill behind the terracing descending to Penistone Road (get your magnifying glass!)

So sorry! Tahnk God for Dunsby's incomparable resourcefulness!

Bless you

HRH Wendy

hills2001.jpg

Hi Wendy,

The black area on the kop was definitely part of the shape. As a lad, my dad said it was just earth but people still stood on it. (eeek, H&S would have a field day).

Also, I don't believe the Kop was a natural hill but rather a large mound of rubble generated whilst developing the ground through the years. Trees are often planted as a stengthening mechanism.

Looks like a Band

it was a band of brothers...

likely the finest irregular cavalry ever seen...

churchill was to copy the ww2 commando's after them...

they gave us one of our biggest ever hidings at spion kop...

and we had to invent concentration camps (which sadly turned out to be death camps, as we hadn't the provisions to feed the prisoners, women and children) to defeat them...

Guest PrincessWendy

Hi Wendy,

The black area on the kop was definitely part of the shape. As a lad, my dad said it was just earth but people still stood on it. (eeek, H&S would have a field day).

Also, I don't believe the Kop was a natural hill but rather a large mound of rubble generated whilst developing the ground through the years. Trees are often planted as a stengthening mechanism.

If your dad was there (or saw it, at keast) then he can't have imagined it! I did look closely at the picture and my interpretation was the dark patch was the back of the terracing but it seems I was wrong. That's good because it means JBA and the other owlstalkers are maybe right. The legend lives on!

Many thanks, Charles Monkey - much appreciated.

Bless you

HRH Wendy