Why are kops called kops?

Guest Hatchethazza

Undeniable.........some one sort that Wiki page out, or we sue them and the Arse.

Always used to make me smile when we went to Filbert Street and the announcer used to refer to the poxy terrace underneath the stand behind the goal as "the Kop"

We are not the blunts,We dont sue anyone.Even though we are Sheffield Wednesday & we do as we want.

Student asked me today: only info I could find was about Liverpool Kop named after boer battle and Kop being afrikaan for look out. Did all other grounds then copy Liverpool? Any info welcomed.

Urban Myth, Liverpool did n't come up with that one at the time. The myth in Liverpool has grown considerably post Shankley.

Not claiming the Kop entirely for ourselves but have a look at the many pictures of the Transval Kop and tell me which of the two is better represented aesthetically ?

First reference was in relation to Woolwich Arsenal, according to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spion_Kop_(stadiums)

Has it aint there anymore there seems little point in arguing about the club who bribed their way to the top league. However, ask any Arse bandit over the age of thirty what their popular end was called and they will tell you "The East Bank" no mention of Kop or reference to Transval.

Guest Johnbloodaxe

I'm sorry to say that you're a bit out with your history JBA.

The battle of Spion Kop - January 1900 - was NOT during the Crimean war but during the second Boer war in South Africa.

Oh yes bugger...

I reacted to the Crimea comment earlier of course it was the bloody Boer war in South Afrika... how stupid of me...  I knew it was the Boer War god knows why I quoted the Crimea dates, diffrent bloody continent...

Old age .. and excitement got to me...

Edited by Johnbloodaxe

Guest Johnbloodaxe

You may remember JBA (I asked someone last week....) when you entered after the turnstyles and turned left to the south east corner wasn't there big white letters painted on the wall "TO THE SPION KOP" next to that was a pie and bovril stall right in the corner 

Oh yes I remember .... the pie and bovril stall was what I called the tea hut...  tiny little wooden hut thing when you consider how many there were on the kop... the sign I remember that well, painted on a brick wall if I remember...

Some stands are just fake Kops for example the one at the Lane. It has to be built on a natural hill to be considered a real Kop such as the one at Hillsborough.

No wonder the Nazis bombed the Lane.

Its not a natural hill though is it.Its like West Street on a friday night, A slag heap

His famous quote....

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,

we shall fight on the seas and oceans,

we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,

we shall fight on the beaches,

we shall fight in the stands,

we shall fight on the landing grounds,

we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,

we shall fight in the hills,

we shall fight on the kop;

we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God’s good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.”

You could also quote the fact that Churchill was the man who set the army onto striking Welsh miners, was the instigator of the first prisoner of war camps, at the end of the 19 century, and cost scores of thousands of lives in the disastrous Gallipoli campaign. Added to which, he was in his time an active member of the Liberal Party, the Tory Party and the Labour Party, so was obviously someone with little loyalty.

Guest Johnbloodaxe

but he was the right person at the right time when we needed someone of his ilk....

plus we all have our faults don't we...

apart from Ghandi and the Dhali Llama of course...