Can we make the playoffs?

Guest Distraught!

Well,in principle it is clear what we have to do. First target is to get the 52/53 points that barring mathematical miracles will guarantee Championship safety. Once that is achieved, reassess the situation, see how many games are left and just go for it. There is nothing to lose from that point on so why not?

But first thing's first - enough points to survive.

If we win 6, draw 3 lose 1.

That has us right in the mix.

With the number of points we have I don't think 3 draws and a loss in 10 games would be enough for us. A draw is almost as bad as a defeat, need as many 3 points per game as possible to put pressure on and we have never really been a team that puts on a huge run of victories.

With the number of points we have I don't think 3 draws and a loss in 10 games would be enough for us. A draw is almost as bad as a defeat, need as many 3 points per game as possible to put pressure on and we have never really been a team that puts on a huge run of victories.

We have Stu Gray now though.

We have Stu Gray now though.

I think if we had maybe, 6 to 9 points more than where we are now, it could have been a goer, we have already lost too many games or dropped too many points to make up a play off slot. I really hope that I am totally wrong and we now go on a massive winning run. From what I have seen in the division so far this season, there is not a lot to fear, but I think we are just too far behind now.

I know some of you may be thinking WTF, as we are fighting our way out of relegation, if we hypothetically go on another bad run we will be back in the danger zone again.

BUT if we look at the bigger picture, I think it has taken a while (around 4 months) for DJ to work out what is our first 11 and best formation to play.  Hence the amount of changes DJ has made on a weekly basis from day 1 due to the amount of players that have been brought in.

Now the first 11 are looking a lot more settled and solid with the current 4411 formation and is more balanced as a result. Helan and Lee providing that extra defensive cover for the full backs, Coke and Prutts in centre as well as opting for pace up front than the usual target men we have been using .  

For the last 9 matches, basically since the barnsley game, we have W6, D2, L1 totaling 20 points, we currently sit in 3rd in the form table for 8 games (9th game was a win, so we sit at top of the form table),  if we can keep this form up and the momentum going for the next 16 games, you never know,

We are 12 points from 6th place with 16 games to go, thats 48 more points up for grabs.  Last season we were around 8 points behind the blunts at one stage and they had a few games in hand over us as well, but we consigned them to another year in league 1. 

Surely now that we are looking like a proper team, do you think we can make the playoffs?

WTID

too much to make up. This means that all the teams at the top have to lose for us to be in contention.

It happened only last year with reading.

Not many things on here annoy me but so many people go on about this and it's completely wrong.  

Yes, Reading were in the relegation area after about the first 5/6 games. But at xmas they were about 9th, about this exact time last season they were already in the playoffs before ultimately going on to win the league. 

if any other team in our current position was discussing playoffs we would be laughing at them and its threads like this that get linked to on other forums so people can take the p1ss.

to overtake that many teams with three months left is ridiculous. i would take our current league position right now and be very pleased. 

Exactly, ridiculous thread, why are we trying to live up to the deluded tag that pigs and dingles are so desperate to give us?

if any other team in our current position was discussing playoffs we would be laughing at them and its threads like this that get linked to on other forums so people can take the p1ss.

to overtake that many teams with three months left is ridiculous. i would take our current league position right now and be very pleased. 

Bang on. 

2011/12- Cardiff finished 6th on 75 points

2010/11- Forest finished 6th on 75 points

2009/10- Blackpool finished 6th on 70 points

If we won 12 out of our last 16 we would be on 71 points and might still not make it.

Realistically.. No chance.

I think that most of the players from their previous stint in the Prem had all but gone in the last few seasons (Shane Long was the last notable one to leave).

Regardless they had an awful lot of good, proven and experienced players at Championship level and had only just missed out on promotion the previous season (lost to Swansea 4-2 in the Play Off Final).

We are a long way off the likes of Reading, who have built solid, stable foundations over a number of years, allowing them to become a club who can compete at the highest levels of the Championship on a consistent basis and who currently are able to just about hold their own in the Prem.

Ah yes, I think I was about a year out lol

although we may not want to admit it, clubs like Reading, WBA and even Stoke are the type of clubs we should be following. All have built fairly decent teams without going mad on the finance side

I'm with you S_W_F_C . one year in the prem regardless of results would make us a very stable club, financially. Providing we don't spend stupid money and chase the dream like many other clubs have done. I would take that right now, but I think it's just out of our reach. But it's The Wednesday - so you never know. We always live in hope. WTID

I think it's easy for us to sit here and say we'd be ok to get humiliated for a season as long as we made some money. But I think in reality we'd all be going mental if that happened. We'd all be moaning like hell about we haven't spent any of the coin we've made and Milan or whoever needs to get his wallet out.

In reality it would be unbearable

Guest Sweet&TenderOwl

We've left it too late to realistically catch up and challenge for the play-off's but we've turned our form around just in time to stay up or end up mid-table.

Which we should be more than happy with and would've taken at the beginning of the season. Has long as we stay up or end up comfortably in mid-table we can stabilise and build on from there.

The change in our fortunes and form as been startling but it would be a big ask to continue that till the end of the season. I'd more than be happy with just staying up and pushing on next season.

Anything more than that is a bonus based on our squad and our budget, and the state we were in earlier on in the season. Just hope we keep improving, as long as we do play-off's should be more realistic next season or the season after. Just be happy were not in the bottom three and we've got a good chance of staying up. We'd all gladly take that based on how it looked not that long ago and the rest is a bonus for now.

Guest smileymiley1980

2011/12- Cardiff finished 6th on 75 points

2010/11- Forest finished 6th on 75 points

2009/10- Blackpool finished 6th on 70 points

If we won 12 out of our last 16 we would be on 71 points and might still not make it.

Realistically.. No chance.

Reading won 12 and drew 2 of their last 16, so why not. Also, the league is tighter and reflects the 2009-2010 season more....AND we've got boro on the last day.

BELIEVE!