Can we make the playoffs?

I know some of you may be thinking WTF, as we are fighting our way out of relegation, if we hypothetically go on another bad run we will be back in the danger zone again.

BUT if we look at the bigger picture, I think it has taken a while (around 4 months) for DJ to work out what is our first 11 and best formation to play.  Hence the amount of changes DJ has made on a weekly basis from day 1 due to the amount of players that have been brought in.

Now the first 11 are looking a lot more settled and solid with the current 4411 formation and is more balanced as a result. Helan and Lee providing that extra defensive cover for the full backs, Coke and Prutts in centre as well as opting for pace up front than the usual target men we have been using .  

For the last 9 matches, basically since the barnsley game, we have W6, D2, L1 totaling 20 points, we currently sit in 3rd in the form table for 8 games (9th game was a win, so we sit at top of the form table),  if we can keep this form up and the momentum going for the next 16 games, you never know,

We are 12 points from 6th place with 16 games to go, thats 48 more points up for grabs.  Last season we were around 8 points behind the blunts at one stage and they had a few games in hand over us as well, but we consigned them to another year in league 1. 

Surely now that we are looking like a proper team, do you think we can make the playoffs?

WTID

Theoretically yes.. But I wouldnt like to go up, or just yet.

If we went up we'd scrap most of the squad we had just created, and the partnerships they were beginning to form and replace it with an expensive bunch of poo only to come rocketing back down again.

It'd be embarassing. Do just enough to keep up and thats that.

Of course it would be fantastic to get to the play offs. What would worry me is if we made it to the play offs and say, lost in the final. Our confidence would be drained.

Lets face it we are certainly not ready to go up to the PL (although it wouldn't hurt our finances). Mind you, were Norwich and Southampton ready?

I would be quite happy finishing 10th this year and then get ready to carry on all that we have learnt this season

On the basis that's the prem is worth about 100m next year I'd be happy to sit there, take the cash and get relegated with the lowest points total ever.

We'd be made for years to come

You'd be happy to wipe out the squad and be sold on to a different investor straight away then?

I'd rather take it slowly and do it properly.

Some bizarre posts on this thread.

A combination of people suggesting we might make the play offs - which lets face it is not going to happen this year, and then people saying that they wouldn't want to go up because it would be bad for us??

Lets be realistic - unfortunately this season we need to make sure we don't go down and do as well as we can to get as good a placing as possible.

If by some miracle we did do it - this would be the greatest achievement ever.

There is nearly always one team that goes on a run from the bottom and sneaks into play offs, there is no reason with the new wave of optimism running through the club we cant do it! 12 points isnt that big of a gap if we continue our current form! If we can sort our home form then top 10 is achievable as there are 2-3 points between us and around 6 other clubs i think a top 12 finish and build for next season would be great!

I think Reading still had a lot of their premier league players too

I think that most of the players from their previous stint in the Prem had all but gone in the last few seasons (Shane Long was the last notable one to leave). 

Regardless they had an awful lot of good, proven and experienced players at Championship level and had only just missed out on promotion the previous season (lost to Swansea 4-2 in the Play Off Final). 

We are a long way off the likes of Reading, who have built solid, stable foundations over a number of years, allowing them to become a club who can compete at the highest levels of the Championship on a consistent basis and who currently are able to just about hold their own in the Prem.